Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: origin of Bismarck restaurant name
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2013 at 07:48 PM
origin of Bismarck restaurant name

Had lunch today at Bismarckcito in La Paz today. Usual good food and friendly service.

Does anyone know how this restaurant came to be named after the WW2 German battleship?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-24-2013 at 09:48 PM
Otto von Bismarck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_von_Bismarck

Maybe they make great strudel???

Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 1-24-2013 at 11:39 PM

Next time you go to El Bismarkcito, DO try the albondigas de camaron......tender shrimp meatballs swimming in a lip sizzling broth........ummmmmm

[Edited on 1-25-2013 by Loretana]

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 10:12 AM

Legend has it that the original Bismarck cafe (a different location than this newer one) was named by a German sailor who survived the battleship sinking and came to Baja seeking some 'peace' and so found La Paz (the Peace). And built the Bismarck Restaurant.

Like most legends, it probably has some grain of truth.

Back in the day, a lot of folks from Mulege would drive way down to La Paz. It was the best place to shop for everything, plus we would eat dinner at the original Bismarck because of it's reputation as a good seafood place. We were never disappointed. I have some old photos of that cafe...somewhere..

I'll have to get back soon and try out the new place on the malecon. Must be a nice view from sidewalk seating.

p.s. Loretana, that soup looks delicious. I'm ordering it.

[Edited on 1-25-2013 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 11:47 AM

Ate at the original Bismarck twice in the early 80's.
Very disappointing, considering its reputation as one of the best La Paz had to offer. Dinner with 8 guys, on a fishing trip. All had lobster, their signature dish. Was tough and inedible. We all took it with us, to prevent them from making it into some dish to feed to other folks, and fed it to the street dogs on the way back to the Los Arcos.
Good old days.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 12:48 PM

Pompano,

The view from Bismarkcito isn't bad, lots of local color, and every time I've eaten there, the food has been delicious.

Jesse (I sure miss his posts!) took issue with me when I sang the praises of the shrimp tacos at Bismarkcito, but I really think for the money, the place is darn good.

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-25-2013 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
Pompano,

The view from Bismarkcito isn't bad, lots of local color, and every time I've eaten there, the food has been delicious.

Jesse (I sure miss his posts!) took issue with me when I sang the praises of the shrimp tacos at Bismarkcito, but I really think for the money, the place is darn good.

Loretana, if the sea gods permit, I hope I can take you to lunch and compare plates at Bismarkcito someday.

Too bad about Ed's and amigos experience at the original eatery. Shades of Mama Espinoza's, eh?

I'm Norsk and if it swims, I'll eat it... and call it good.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 01:29 PM

While the Bismarck on the Malecon is one of my favorite spots, I have gotten both excellent food and terrible food at different times. I like the atmosphere and the great location and ability to view the beautiful Bay of La Paz while eating. Excellent ambiance, most waiters have good personalities. Excellent menu and reasonable prices, all things considered.

In my view, they have the best tacos in La Paz that I have come across, especially the shrimp tacos.

On the few occasions that my wife has accompanied me to La Paz, She got bad food at the Bismarck every time. May be just bad luck of the draw, don't know. Could be bad quality control (i.e., lack of management oversight).

When I go to La Paz by myself (which is most of the time), I stop in at least once for the shrimp tacos or seafood stew or chocolate clams on the half shell with a couple of Pacificos. Pretty hard to screw that up; always satisfied when I order those things.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 01:44 PM

I've eaten at the Bismarck and Bismarckcito many times over the years and have never had a meal there that I considered better than average. It's highly overrated IMO.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.