Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Graham Mackintosh starts next Baja journey
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 04:51 PM

From on top of that headland (Los Machos) looking north...

[Edited on 3-25-2013 by BajaNomad]

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 04:59 PM

Setting out for another trek inland

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 05:24 PM

Hoping this isn't a feral cat!

Oystercatchers everywhere

Sunlight over the peninsula

My campsite as I left it.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 05:42 PM

Graham

your photos are just surreal

great job
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 05:45 PM

Thank you for sharing

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 05:46 PM

How sweet to get a little glimpse of Graham's island sojourn...gracias y que lo via muy bien amigo...look forward to seeing more.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 08:16 PM

Thanks everyone, and Shari your Dock of the Bay shots are awesome... breathtaking colors.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 09:10 PM

Graham-- You need to start another thread-- "The Good The Bad and the Ugly"!!!! Beautiful pictures, you look great and healthy! Can`t imagine the isolation and need for people, but if my wife doesn`t stop talking, I`m heading to the island!!
Looking forward to the rest of your trip, wishing you the best!!
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 09:58 PM

Mr Fisher, don't tempt that wonderful wife of yours to send you packing. A few weeks with the noseeums, scorpions, and bobos and you'll swear your beloved's voice has never sounded sweeter!

Enjoy that diet of "lingcod," seaweed, cholla, and cactus fruits... couldn't be healthier!

Thanks amigo.

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 10:26 PM

I was surprised when one day a wall of fog drifted up the Sea of Cortez and largely obscured the peninsula...

Island stayed in bright sunshine.

An easy way into the island interior was through this gap which I called the St. Bernard Pass after the rock structure on the right...

And some of the sunsets were astounding...

What a wonderful way to say goodnight!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2013 at 11:47 PM

That first image looking south toward BOLA just says it all to me. Nothing will replace the beauty of the water along those islands.

Thanks.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 05:39 PM

Making Drinking Water

I brought out to the island about a three week supply of water and when I was down to about 6-7 gallons I thought I’d better make some more. On previous occasions, when all else failed, I’d boil seawater and condense the steam down a long coil of tubing.

This time I had a hand-pump Katadyn reverse osmosis desalinator - which yields over a gallon of drinking water an hour. A long plastic intake/outtake tube needed to be dropped into very clean water from the open sea, and a smaller tube delivers fresh water.

I tried using the desalinator on the kayak, but as the wind often blew for days, I quickly learned that wind and current could carry me miles before I’d get a gallon. And I couldn’t be sure I’d ever make it back if the wind really started blasting.

So I took to fetching clean seawater on the kayak and using the desalinator on land… a more comfortable but involved process that required regularly changing sea water in a bowl, which gets more concentrated as fresh water is pumped from it.

That way I was getting a gallon of fresh water in about two hours. One night, sitting out for four hours, listening to my radio by moonlight, I made about two gallons… and next day the palm on my right hand was covered in blisters! So there’s a little effort involved, like rowing a small dingy.

My Katadyn, the Survivor 35, is the same model that Bryan and Justin are carrying on their “What is west” journey.

A brand new Katadyn 35 will cost about $2200, a refurbished model about $1000. My wife bought mine for me on eBay for about $400. It was an unused military surplus model past its storage date.

Katadyn, the Swiss manufacturers, strongly recommend changing the filter before use on these models – another $400.

I gambled and used the original filter. I tried it out several times before taking it to the island and it worked fine. If it failed, I planned on resorting to my old boiling seawater method.

And if that wasn’t enough, the beaches of Guardian Angel are littered with plastic bottles, a surprising number contain some amount of water.

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 08:39 PM

Sorry if this is a silly question, what kind of cat would be on the island and how would it get there ?swim?
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 11:05 PM

It's a good question.

These kind of cats...

I tell the story in detail in my book Marooned With Very Little Beer. In the 1970s there was a major scallop fishery on the island with scores of pangas and families out there, even a dive chamber.

Cats were brought out as pets and for rodent control. When the people left, many cats were left behind and that is almost certainly the reason for the huge numbers of feral cats found there today.

On the other hand most of the rodents have been wiped out. You very rarely see one.

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 12:23 AM

Turning over rocks in the intertidal zone I encountered many of these stinging worms. Treated them with great respect. I was nailed by one in the 1980s after I'd picked it up - mentioned in Into a Desert Place.

Pretty, but when all those glassy little white spines break off in your hand and it starts burning and itching you know why they are called "fireworms."

Some folks have apparently had such an extreme reaction and subsequent infection that they have lost fingers and even limbs.

Common in the Sea of Cortez and throughout much of the tropical Pacific.... scientific name Eurythoe complanata.

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 02:12 AM

....wow,,what size are those darlings???:o:O:no:

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
Turning over rocks in the intertidal zone I encountered many of these stinging worms. Treated them with great respect. I was nailed by one in the 1980s after I'd picked it up - mentioned in Into a Desert Place.

Pretty, but when all those glassy little white spines break off in your hand and it starts burning and itching you know why they are called "fireworms."

Some folks have apparently had such an extreme reaction and subsequent infection that they have lost fingers and even limbs.

Common in the Sea of Cortez and throughout much of the tropical Pacific.... scientific name Eurythoe complanata.

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 09:30 AM

That was a particularly nice specimen - it was close to six inches long. Most are about 4-5 inches.

You often spot them in the colorful world beneath boulders on rocky shores - there are a couple of them in this picture along with the brittle stars and sea cucumber.

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
It's a good question.

These kind of cats...

I tell the story in detail in my book Marooned With Very Little Beer. In the 1970s there was a major scallop fishery on the island with scores of pangas and families out there, even a dive chamber.

Cats were brought out as pets and for rodent control. When the people left, many cats were left behind and that is almost certainly the reason for the huge numbers of feral cats found there today.

On the other hand most of the rodents have been wiped out. You very rarely see one.

Graham,
Thanks for your answer, i have not read that book yet but will get it soon. I do have your burro book on kindle and when i am done with it i will be sure to read the beer one next. Connie
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.