Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: So Your a Bad Speler!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 04:40 PM
So Your a Bad Speler!

Current research indicates that the knack for spelling is determined by a gene. All you guys who can't spell worth a dang were probably in the dressing room when this particular one was passed around in the gene pool.

So relaxe, its NOT you're falt!

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 05:04 PM
or dislexia of the keyboard where the fingers are

moving faster than the brain can keep up.

hehe:lol::lol::lol:

RandyMac

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 05:12 PM
Tanxs Lera

neded tat, mi spling scks to.....:biggrin:

I cn blme et on mi mom an dad!

Bruce, not to worry....Your're not alone. David can just be anal sometimes (and I mean that in a "kind and loving way David") But, get this..... I once got even with him on this very board when he spelled Erle Stanley Gardners' name "Earl" HEHEHEHEHE! Boy, oh, boy what that FUN!!!!!! :yes:
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 05:20 PM
Qwerty or the Dvorak keyboards? Poor spelling could be...

the type of keyboard you are using.

If you are not just lazy or a poor speller by nature, you might be having difficulty with the keyboard (Qwerty) you are using on your computer.

The Dvorak keyboard layout is a control panel option on almost every current computer. It is a vastly more comfortable and efficient alternative to the standard "QWERTY" pattern, which was designed in the 1800s with no effective attempt at typing comfort.

Most accomplished QWERTY typists don't want to retrain on a new keyboard layout.

But if you are new to computers and are having difficulty with typing (mispelling etc.) then you might want to consider using the Dvorak keyboard layout to see if it makes a difference.

I been using computers since the 70's and many of the programmers that worked for me over the years switched to the Dvorak keyboard for comfort and speed. They recommended that new users try the Dvorak keyboard out before suffering through the Qwerty standard layout.

Here's the two keyboard layouts. Most people use the Qwerty layout as it is standard on most personal computers, but you can get Dvorak keyboards or use a software switch to change it to the Dvorak keyboard.

RandyMac

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 05:34 PM
Randy......

Thanks, that is very interesting. I never knew that there was another keyboard!

Those of us that learned to type in Jr. High school would be lost, as I'm sure the two finger typers are with the standard keyboard. For those folks it would seem that having the "abc's" in order would work best? I looked at that other one you posted and I sure would be lost!

Woops! forgot to ask, (typing too fast for my brain to keep up) what is the advantage to using that other keyboard? Seems that if you are going to learn to type, you may as well learn the standard keyboard. If it's a dyslexia (sp?) problem, wouldn't it still be the same problem with either keyboard? As I understand it, the brain reverses what is there with what it "sees".

This is really interesting. Thanks.

[Edited on 11-4-2004 by Debra]

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 07:13 PM
I use iespell....

you can get it at www.iespell.com

After writing your post, you highlite/select the text of your message, RIGHT click and then check yur spellin'....works great!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-3-2004 at 07:51 PM
Righty-oh Lera

Spoken like a true editor!:lol:
But what are these poor beaners supposed to do? give up until they have electricity and spell checkers?:lol:

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 09:40 PM
Dysgraphia

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
Seems that if you are going to learn to type, you may as well learn the standard keyboard. If it's a dyslexia (sp?) problem, wouldn't it still be the same problem with either keyboard? As I understand it, the brain reverses what is there with what it "sees".
This is really interesting. Thanks.

"Dyslexia" of the fingers is actually called dysgraphia, and happens when the fine muscles in the hands and fingers do not respond appropriately to signals from the brain. Interestingly, most dysgraphics have difficulty writing but can more effectively express themselves when given a keyboard.... I think the spelling is the same either way. :biggrin:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 10:02 PM
Thanks, Nat......

I really find this very interesting!

I have to admit that I have to go back sometimes (like I just did, I realized I had "ho back" instead of "go back"...sometimes I catch it , sometimes I don't, it depends on how fast I'm typing, and just how fast my thoughts are flying to get out of this brain that I have (nothing special! Ha!) Sometimes I think I've "caught" that "D" word from my son.....and other times I'm thinking I'm just being too lazy and typing too fast. :tumble:
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 10:24 PM

JR, I have never ever recommended spell checkers. What I recommend is that people who have stuff to post simply enter it it without worrying about their spelling. The rest of us can pretty much figure out what they mean.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 10:30 PM

I don't even need to wonder which is worse: The person with something meaningful to say that conveys the message in misspelled words, or the person who has nothing to say that can say it perfectly.

I always fall back to the analogy of math books versus a common magazine.

When I read a magazine I expect the perfection we've come to find with a mass-printed publication. A writer writes and a number of editors edit for various aspects, content, format, agreement with the magazines themes, spelling and grammar. Before it ever gets to us it's a polished error-free item.

With an evolving technical hot new find, in space, mathematics, psychology, whatever, a few experts, advanced in their fields, are clamoring to get to the new theory, new concept, and new ideas. They don't care about a few misspelled words or the font; just want to get down to brass tacks ASAP. To hell with the format and mass appeal.

I think the nomad?s board has a bit of both. We have the crew that somehow feels it necessary to criticize misspellers and we have the folks who ignore the spelling to get to the heart of the issue, or for that matter, the writer and what he/she is trying to say. And then there are a few of us who read the material, enjoy the thoughts, and wonder how such unique often valid concepts come from the mind of one who cannot spell a lick.

It takes all kinds. But I think a few of are so direct we can appear to be cruel at times. At heart I don't think we are, but it sometimes seems that way.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 10:58 PM
Love ya Mike.........BUT....

Can you please put your thoughts into one paragraph?

My printer is not working. :P
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 11:52 PM
Hose A...

'Yur' right about the iespell 'abc' option...I'm always using the 'full screen' of IE when browsing, and that icon is hidden in that mode. Thanks for the 'heads up'.

I just find it easier to right-click to go to iespell....you are correct, you don't need to highlight the text to iespell check - I guess that was in an earlier version, and I'm just used to doing it that way.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 08:22 AM
As far as people having something to say,

Everyone does. And being able to spell what they say makes conveying their message a little easier.
Some of us have a lot to say and some of it is meant to open eyes in the hopes of improvement.
Perhaps it sounds harsh to those that take it personally but really, it's just open conversation with the hopes of people learning to do better.
Anything wrong with that or is it better off just ignored?
Perhaps if the teachers and parents had a little more spine and weren't afraid of people whining about them insisting that the kids learn something, we would be a more intelligent race. Like we think the Japanese are because their kids do well in school.
I know it's possible because I see most other nationalities pretending like spelling and a basic education are good things. Does that mean that they are all genius material and that gringos are stupid?
More than likely not, just lazy and unwilling to admit that their perfect, generally society is becoming more flawed by the minute.
The way I see it, there are 6 or 7 on this board that don't like much of anything I have to say because a good portion of my past posts applied directly to them and their actions in Baja as gringos.
But, the intelligent ones at least read things with an open mind. And maybe spend a few more minutes making sure their child "understands" what is being read.
It is important no matter how much these "brilliant folks" try to say it doesn't matter.
Besides, it cut's down on ink and paper usage when your point can be condensed rather than streeeeeeetched out into a long and boring read.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 12:15 PM
Mike......

I hope you saw my "tounge in cheek" with my remark about my printer (you know I always print out you stuff to read in my cozy bed. :spingrin:

And, could someone please explaine to me how to use the quote thing here? I have a comment I would like to share with JR about his last post and I don't want to be misunderstood. Thanks
BajaGrrls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 12:59 PM
Quotes

In the post you want to quote, you'll see a "quote" button. Push that and a new window should pop up with the entire post in it. You can delete what you don't want and put your reply after it.

Hope that helps.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 01:09 PM
Thanks, I'll try that......

If I screw it up, don't "flame' me.....JR :biggrin:

Forgot to ask, can I do that in a "U2U"?

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 01:55 PM

Perhaps if the teachers and parents had a little more spine and weren't afraid of people whining about them insisting that the kids learn something, we would be a more intelligent race.

I have to ask, what do you mean by "learn something"? Just what standards are you judging that by? I've stayed out of this subject (on the boards)for along time because I admit, it's a HOT issue with me......I just don't get where others should judge what MY CHILD should learn!!!! He learns Math, Reading, AND ABOVE ALL he is learning SOCIAL RESPONSIBILTY! And about the world around him! Not just "US" the world! Right now he is out building a Tree House that he has been working on for weeks (by himself) and he is using the un-educated Math that his parents have taught him......anybody that has met Brendan (several Amigos/Nomads) have commented on how intelligent and giving a child he is (Mike H. ruffs him up and gets him going a bit, which gets my dander up. :biggrin: But, Mike is a bigger kid......and Brendan loves him, and Mike has been a part of his education...I'm going to go wayyyyyy out and suggest that life, and experince is LEARNING! Brendan has the luck to learn from "M" Mike and Mary Ann. David, Paulina, Doc, (I wish Neal would be around more) 4Baja, Beth and their boys, I could go, on and on......but the fact is that THAT IS EDUCATION! Sitting in (for me) a 40 plus class room for 6hrs. per day is NOT! And it really hurts me that anyone thinks it's a good thing for our children!

I see I failed with the "quote" thing .....see?. I missed out on the education of the 80's, but, I still seem to use it........GO FIGURE :rolleyes:
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 04:42 PM
Deb

I know exactly what you ment (several posts above this). Where did I put my wine glass?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-4-2004 at 06:00 PM
Seems tu me like

these posts are all mixed up. I was lukin fer a post on this subject to kuote but it's somewhere else.
It had to do with parents stepping up as far as thare childrens edukatun rather then putting up with laziness and publik education.
Iz that wut you just said? I think so. But I been ruffing all day so I'm actually stupider than wen i begun.
But, gazintas and reding is ware this hole thing started and no matter wut, i feel it is important, no matter hoo makes em lernit! Starts wid the parent's donit?
And perhaps the parents should concentate on what the skools are doing as far as edukating ALL of the children?
Just a thought.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.