Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 06:31 PM
Taking the Taco Tour in Rosarito

From baja.com

http://baja.com/rosarito/taking-the-taco-tour-in-rosarito/

by Jack E. George

"How can anyone possibly live in Baja — especially in Rosarito Beach – without indulging in some hot, delicious tacos? I never realized there are so many different types –ranging from ‘la cabeza’ (head) to shrimp and fish to tongue and tripa (tripe). While I visited the town’s taco stands, one of my Mexican amigas was translating for me. She scolded me when I raised my eyebrows after she suggested I try a taco de cabeza.

Before I started my taco tasting adventure, though, I had to figure out where to go. How do you choose the best taco stands in Rosarito Beach? Well, the following certainly is not a scientific measurement. Chances are any professional taco tasters (if there are such people) would certainly laugh at my way of evaluating the taco stands. Here goes…

I began by asking the owner, or a worker, at each establishment what other stands they would recommend in our beautiful city. Then, just to make certain I did not miss out on any ‘research’, I asked several members (taco aficionados, all) in the community. Hence, these taco stands listed are not in any order — for instance, they are not listed as if it were a contest, such as the #1 stand, the #2 stand, and so forth. Just to be clear, no ribbons, no gold medal, or other award will be given!

Tacos El Paisano is located on the main thoroughfare of Rosarito Beach. It is directly across the street, on the corner, from the arcade of 198 stores. Customer Edson Ruiz said the taco stand always offers excellent quality food and that the service is great. Luis, the interpreter, told me that the place is outstanding due to the fresh, tender meat and that the tortillas are extra good because they are made on site. They offer a variety of tacos including beef, tongue, and cabeza. It should not be a surprise that I chose the beef taco. I must admit it was delicious. However, I really enjoyed the tortilla — it had a very unique taste. The beef was very tender.

Tacos El Yaqui, aka El Yaqui y Yaqui has been a favorite seemingly forever. According to Felipe Munoz, the son of the owner, this stand has been in Rosarito Beach for nearly 30 years. That longevity speaks highly of the stand. Felipe says the meat is cooked over an oak fire which adds a great flavor. He said that the meat choice is different as they use a unique cut of steak. This is the first place I visited, as a friend took me here when I first moved to Rosarito Beach six years ago. The taco does have a very different taste which seems to originate from the oak fire. This is an excellent choice – certainly unlike any taco you will find at the typical taco franchises in the U.S. The stand is located on the corner of Calle Mar del Norte, one block east of the main boulevard.

Tacos El Gerente offer bigger tacos using flour tortilla, according to owner Hugo Alfonzo. He says his beef tacos are the best in Rosarito Beach. Of course, that’s what I was told at each taco stand, but who am I to argue. El Gerente is located on Calle Mar del Norte, on the corner, just a short walk from Tacos El Yaqui. I spoke with several customers. Each one said that these tacos are “the best in town.”

You will find Tacos El Zurdo across the street from McDonald’s on the main boulevard. Maria, one of the customers, explained that the flavor alone makes this the most outstanding taco stand in Rosarito Beach. She added that the spices also add to the flavor. As she interpreted for one of the employees, he yelled out, “Each one is made with special preparation and with love.” Maria opened her package showing me the taco she had just purchased for her and her husband. It was a foot long, six inches wide, and six inches tall. It was a monster of a taco unlike any I have ever seen before – certainly unlike any you will find at McDonalds or Jack in the Box in the U.S. Maria said that El Zurdo is the only taco stand she visits in Rosarito Beach.

Finally, the fifth taco stand is Pepe’s Asadaderos. Interpreter Jose Espinoza explained that they offer the best tacos in Baja (seems like I heard this before – elsewhere, hmmm…). The place is owned by Jose “Pepe” Luis Cervantes and it is located a few doors south of Waldo’s. Jose said that the tacos are the best because they are always served with the freshest meat. Also, he said that fresh salsa is prepared by the employees every day and customers can have everything they want from a large variety of choices. One of the employees then blurted out, “They are the best tacos because the best workers work here.” There are a number of tacos to choose from including tripa and asada. Customer Edie Vines chooses Pepe’s “because they offer all sorts of goodies.” She also enjoys the fact that the place is lit up at night and offers Mexican music. She describes the tacos in one word: ”Delicious!”

Although not everyone might agree with my particular method of choosing the top taco stands, it works for me! With a steady stream of customers, the food is fresh and always tasty. I encourage you to visit these stands as well as any others you might choose. Who knows, maybe there is another gem out there just waiting to be discovered! If there is, let us know…"

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 07:58 PM

We've got some great taco stands over here in Sonora, too.

I'm a little disappointed that the writer didn't differentiate the various forms of beef tacos a little better.

Sure, everyone knows about cabeza, lengua, sensa even if they are reluctant to try them.

But when it comes to preparations of the more conventional "cuts" of beef, we have deshebrada, barbacoa, asada, adobado, al pastor and birria de res tacos over here. There are taco stands that have ALL of these at the same time over here.

Strangely enough, carnitas is not really that common over here. Maybe it is the beef heritage of Sonora that makes it so?

Do the taco stands in Rosarito Beach serve "jugos"? Jugos are bowls of birria de res (peppery shredded beef), deshebrada (milder shredded beef) or barbacoa (yet another seasoned shredded beef, but not with gringo style BBQ sauce) in their own broth (juice, hence "jugo") This is then served with a stack of tortillas.

Basically, this is the bulk, economy method of getting some tacos as you are provided with the ingredients (meat and corn tortillas) and you make your own tacos with the tableside salsa trays. Generally one TACO, ordered as such, is 12-15 pesos. But a jugo is only 30-40 pesos. My favorite taqueria in San Carlos gives you about EIGHT thick, moist, steamed corn tortillas for this price. This easily feeds two.........and you have the broth to supp afterwards.

Are jugos featured at taquerias in Baja much? Most all taquerias offer them over here.

[Edited on 2-11-2013 by Hook]

Rainer
Junior Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Sure, everyone knows about cabeza, lengua, sensa even if they are reluctant to try them.

What is sensa? Do you mean seso?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-10-2013 at 08:37 PM

Maybe that is what I mean. Brains. Havent ordered it is quite some time. Actually getting rare over here.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 11:52 AM
Birreria in Rosarito

The stand that used to be a couple of doors down from the Tamale Inn on Benito Juarez served birreria. They either moved or went out of business.

There are some moving carts and stalls constructed out of two-x-fours and canvas serve it in Primo Tapia, but they keep uneven hours and I am wary about buying food from a guy using a Styrofoam ice chest and where there is no running water to wash hands.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 01:53 PM
Someone Asked Me What I Thought of This Article

And here is my response.

"It's a pretty good list.

Tacos el Paisano - I ate there a couple of times, don't really remember the meals, so it's OK. It's on the main drag (Benito Juarez Blvd.) near the Rosarito Beach Hotel and the big bars (Senor Frogs, etc.) very visible and easy to find.. I assume that they get busy late in the evening.

Tacos el Yaqui is on Mar del Norte, the side street that parallels Benito Juarez Blvd. one block east. Long time institution with lots of local business, but...

We like Tacos el Gerente, a couple of blocks north, on the same side street and same side of the street. The proprietor, Hugo, used to be the main cook at Yaqui, and we followed him because we think he does the job.

I have never noticed Zurdo or Asadero - I have them bookmarked to try.

The article didn't mention a long time favorite, Tacos Manuel. The main location is on Benito Juarez Blvd., a few blocks north of Waldo's Dollar Mart and the other is also on Benito Juarez, north of the Calimax market, near the stoplight intersection that takes you to the Home Depot/Walmart complex. They make the corn and flour tortillas from scratch and besides carne asada and pork adobada. they also offer tripa, buche, sesos and other offal parts that I am too mainstream to order"

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.