Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Terco's Pollito restaurant - Santa Rosalia
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2013 at 08:07 PM
Terco's Pollito restaurant - Santa Rosalia

Decided to have Valentine's day lunch in Santa Rosalia and it was great ! We went because someone on this board recommended it -on another thread, so thanks !

They have some neat antiques as decoration:

and some really old photos of el boleo / workers:

our food was delicious: quesadillas for me and chicken for Les

the restaurant is a good size and there is inside area with a/c and outside area for smokers

The service was fast, the food good and the Valentine's decorations were appreciated

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 04:20 PM

Looks like they have a new sign since the last time we were there! We need to go back. We have always had very good meals there. Do they still have the great squid dip?

Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 05:10 PM

We had lunch there yesterday and back again today, while waiting for our papers to arrive on the bus from La Paz. Great people and wonderful food, they even used their cell phone a couple of times to call the Notario for us to find out what was going on. The bus was late, but now all is done, good bye Mulege house. Not sure if I should celebrate or if I should cry.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 05:29 PM

Blanca
Seeing those old photos reminded me of the Museo up by the Francis Hotel. Check it out if you havent.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 05:29 PM

We had lunch there a few years ago, but i don't remember all of hte memorabilia being there then. The food was good, very nice restaurant.

It is interesting that the captions on the pictures are in English. With the figure numbers, they appear to be from a book. So many men who went down in the mines paid a high price for a chance to improve their lives, here and in Butte Montana, another place shaped by the riches underground. I find both towns fascinating, haunted.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 05:33 PM

I forget the figures but thousands died in the mines every month.
For an eye opening site of just how many, go up to the cemetery sometime and see how many graves there are
If you have a full day, Santa Rosalia is a fascinating place to nose around.

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 05:39 PM

Love Santa Rosalia, never seen the cemetery.

Sorry we missed seeing you on Super Bowl Sunday Judy. We never got around to leaving the house.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 05:51 PM

I'm glad to hear that cafe is still serving...and still has great food.

Photo from Back in the Day.

Here's my first trip to the place in 1975 in my new El Camino with buddies from Coyote Bay, the Doves, JW Black (hat), and his wife, Lois. Blackjack drove his funky red Grasshopper, parked in front

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 08:46 PM

We also enjoy that restaurant but this Valentines Day we decided to dine close to home. The TBone at Los Equipales in Mulege was huge and tender.

patty san valetin 2013.JPG - 42kB
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 08:50 PM

Pompano- your photo library is incredible. The way you are able to come up with a picture from years ago to match one that was just taken from a fellow nomad is truely amazing!!!Even if I had a similar picture it would take a lifetime to find it!!! Thanks for the memories.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 04:00 AM

Thousands died every month? That would be a minimum of 120,000 per year? I doubt there were ever that mony people in Santa Rosalia in its history?

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 08:10 AM

Pompano - that is really a great photo - you might want to print it up so they can put it on their wall. Interesting that the awning in your photo is really LOW. I wonder if Mexicans were that much shorter then ? very cool photo.

Diana - we loved the dip and had no idea what it was ... oh my gosh ...really delicious.

I definitely want to see the cemetary - what stories it must hold that will never be shared. I have seen it from afar but never thought to go and take a closer look at it.

I have gone to the museum, years ago, and I think those items are actually from the museum because what used to be the museum is now offices and I could not see anything on display thru the windows.

Not only that - the building which housed the M. Gandhi library is being redone across the street - not sure if it will be rebuilt or destroyed. Maybe someone can shed a light.

lauri .... wow .... the passing of an era for you guys .... I am sure the rainbow holds beautiful future fun :))))

[Edited on 2-18-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 08:35 AM

I stand corrected:
El Boleo employed Mexican workers and reached a prosperous height that attracted manual laborers from many regions. However, El Boleo exploited the workers, creating a labor system equivalent to slavery. From 1901 to 1903, 1,400 workers died, many the victims of silicosis and frequent accidents. As El Boleo prospered, well-concealed violations of contract exploited the underpaid workers. Labor strikes by the workers were repressed by force.

Still a lot of dead people

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
We had lunch there a few years ago, but i don't remember all of hte memorabilia being there then. The food was good, very nice restaurant.

It is interesting that the captions on the pictures are in English. With the figure numbers, they appear to be from a book. So many men who went down in the mines paid a high price for a chance to improve their lives, here and in Butte Montana, another place shaped by the riches underground. I find both towns fascinating, haunted.

I grew up in Butte long before they went to open pit mine. Lived a block away from the Orphan Girl mine wich was the largest copper mine in the world at that time. Why do you say it is haunted?

Bob Durrell
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 02:56 PM

Thanks, BajaBlanca

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobertquote]Originally posted by Paula

I grew up in Butte long before they went to open pit mine. Lived a block away from the Orphan Girl mine wich was the largest copper mine in the world at that time. Why do you say it is haunted?

I grew up in gritty Chicago, my father was a wobbly (sp?) journalist sort of guy. When I moved to Kalispell as an adult the only grit to be found anywhere close by was in Butte. Something about the old brick row houses and shanties on the hill. You could just sense the hardy souls who lived in them when they were new and full of promise. A lot of the promises never came true, and the sadness still hangs there I think. Also the salt of the earth liveliness. It is a favorite place to me-- haunted in a good way.

Edit: Bit of a hijack here, sorry Blanca. Terco's is a favorite place too;D

[Edited on 2-19-2013 by Paula]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 08:28 PM

Paula ...I love hijacks cause it makes for a conversation.

Come visit La Bocana

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 09:49 PM

Yes, they have great chicken....but those barefoot slave miners sure look tough:o

Don't believe everything you think....
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 09:18 AM

Their boigers aint bad either.;)

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 09:25 AM

Is it located on the main highway and if so, whre is it?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.