Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BBQ Pork Hock/Shank
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 04:28 PM
BBQ Pork Hock/Shank

This is famous in Germany. Sweineshaxe... or what we call Pork Hock or Pork Shank. I like to cook/smoke mine on the Weber using my rotisserie setup. Here are some photos I took today of my 3+ pound pork hock I made today....

Here is the raw pork hock...

Here are my Cheery Wood chunks....

Here is the pork hock on the rotesseire.... smoking

Here is the finished product... YUMMY !!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 2-16-2013 by Bob H]

[Edited on 2-17-2013 by Bob H]

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 04:37 PM

Sprinkling brown sugar over the hock while rotating on the grill came out great. Here is where I purchased the Pork Hock. This is a great place to buy quality meat products !!

Tip Top Meats in Carlsbad......

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-16-2013 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Sprinkling brown sugar over the hock while rotating on the grill came out great. Here is where I purchased the Pork Hock. This is a great place to buy quality meat products !!

Tip Top Meats in Carlsbad......

Beside great eat in/ take out meals and bakery products and "exotic" meats they will (at least used too) order anything they don't already have in stock. They once ordered me 10 lbs of crawfish and 5 lbs alligator that was flown in for my Mardi Gras party. They are at the Palomar Airport Rd exit off the I5.

Bob Durrell
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 04:34 PM

Big John from Tip Top is a friend of my dad's...pops does the flowers for his restaurant...
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 05:06 PM
Tip Top Meats

If only it was closer.

We get a couple of items there. From the meat section lamb shanks for braising, we have the butcher saw the bone-which encourages the marrow to flow into the sauce!!! They also have smoked pork chops which are excellent.

But my favorite treat is to take some good craft beer up in a cooler. Then purchase 4 of their small german style hard rolls, 1/4# of fontina cheese, 1/2# of sliced prosciutto, one small jar of german seeded mustard. The two of us then go over to Ponto Beach and sit in the car and pig out.

Thanks for reminding me of the great place. Your pork looks very tasty.

Ken

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 05:33 PM
Very Sad Face

No Dusseldorf mustard south of the border.

No bratwurst or weisswurst.

No authentic or even inauthentic rasberry/blackberry gummies.

[Edited on 2-18-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 06:56 PM

Damn Bob-- you da man!!! That looks delicious!
Been a few years since I had breakfast there, now I have to go back!!!
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 10:04 PM

TIP TOP MEATS, DELI AND MARKET IS GREAT!!!

Just down the road from me in Carlsbad. They have an excellent Deli serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Everything from Sandwiches to steak dinners, Sauerbraten, Prime Rib Roast, etc. They're famous for their 'BIG JOHN' breakfast which is 3 eggs, home fried potatoes, toast AND....ALL you can eat of their own smokehouse bacon, ham, brats, pork link or polish sausage....for ONLY $7.98!

DEFINITELY WORTH THE STOP...Whether your eating, buying meat or any of their unique selection of European groceries or delicacies!

Here's their web link: http://www.tiptopmeats.com/

PS: they're located on the opposite/SOUTH side of Palomar Airport Rd. from the Carlsbad Outlet Mall at 6118 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad

Miguelamo :yes: :) :yes: :D :yes: ;) :yes:

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Damn Bob-- you da man!!! That looks delicious!
Been a few years since I had breakfast there, now I have to go back!!!

Thanks... I am still picking it apart... it's so darn good you cannot imagine.

Tip Top has quality meats and the best breakfast around... with all the bacon and sausage one could eat. Just keep asking for them and they will bring it on!!

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 12:47 AM

At Tip Top in Oceanside... you must try their German Rouladen for dinner.... Wow.. !!!

Rouladen $9.49
Round steak stuffed with bacon, pickle, onion and mustard. Served with mashed potatoes and gravy, red cabbage, sauerkraut, soup or salad and a dinner roll.

To DIE FOR !!

CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 08:17 AM

Thanks for the memories! 30 years ago I would buy whole roasting piglettes and ribroasts from Big John. I would spend over an hour in his shop just looking at every single meat item in the glass case and all the fun imported stuff on the shelves.
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 08:54 AM

Big John is still around...well into his 80's I'm sure!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 10:13 AM

I don't know if Big John is the guy playing the accordian but he always nods appreciatively when I request that he play Lilly Marleen.

"Ah, you know Gehmann music!". Not really. I'm drawn to anything about WWII.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 10:25 AM
Don't get me started

Don't be offended by the N-zi theme. It's just period music and history.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 09:02 PM

There was shredded pork hock meat leftover from this bbq event. Audrey heated it up, mixed in some Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar bbq sauce. Poured it over some hamburger buns, along with a couple ears of corn. Wow, this was one fantastic leftover meal. The flavor of the bbq pork meat and the sauce was incredible!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 07:13 PM

Well, all I can say is.."Thanks a lot, Bob H."

Your description and photos made me hungry enough to go check this place out for myself. Damn glad I did.

In fact, I was so glad I went twice. Once for breakfast (Big John's Breakfast) and once for dinner (Rouladan) Both meals are approved by this meateater.

After ordering the Rouladan, I visited with an owner who came over and asked me if I was the customer who had asked about Rolla Pulsa (Rullepølse), which is an old Scandinavian rolled meat recipe. Naturally, they had none and we laughed that if they did, they would also have to serve it with lefse and lutefisk. Well, we both knew that serving lutefisk would have cleared the place out right quick, so it's best Tip Top sticks to their delicious Germanic recipes.

I shopped the entire store and came home with some hocks, beer brats, two lamp chops, and some scrumptous jams.

As an added treat, there was plenty of wild game available. Life is good here, but it's not a hangout for Vegans. :rolleyes:

THANKS FOR THE 'TIP'

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 07:31 PM

Pomp-- Great pics and write up.
Reminds me of something I heard a few decades ago, went something like this, "If God didn`t want man to eat animals, He wouldn`t have made animals taste like meat!!"!!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2013 at 08:25 PM

You can't beat this place!! Tip Top is KING !

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 12:22 PM

This market has more food products than ALPINE VILLAGE in Torrance!

Looks like my next trip to Oceanside i'll have to make it a priority to visit TIP TOP.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.