BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Dog Poisoning Alert At Los Cerritos!!!!
Squash

exclamation.gif posted on 2-18-2013 at 12:38 PM
Dog Poisoning Alert At Los Cerritos!!!!

I personally spoke with the woman who works at the Costa Azul surf shop on the beach last night, and she said that have lost 5 dogs now, fyi. This is so freaking sad :(

The following is reposted from the Baja Western Onion.

Dog Poisoning Alert At Los Cerritos! - A warning to anyone walking their dog in the vicinity of the beach club at Los Cerritos beach: up to 6 dogs have died from poisoning in the last 2 days. We lost our 4 year-old Chica today, Tuesday, after a short walk down the road behind the beach club and down the public accesso to the south of the club to the beach. No one noticed her near any garbage pails or eating anything along the roadside, but by the time she was walked a short way south along the beach she was losing the strength in her legs and shortly after began to drool and convulse. Despite attempts to get her to vomit by administering hydrogen peroxide orally, as recommended by a local veteraniarian, she died within 15 minutes.

All the dogs seem to have died in the same locale, so it would be advisable to avoid the area with your dogs. There may still be more poisoned food somewhere in the area.No doubt the poisoner deliberately targeted dogs and is pleased with the death toll he has attained thus far. Encouraged by his success he may decide to expand his area of operations, so dog owners be aware in the Cerritos area. - Peter Holmes, Pescadero
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 12:43 PM

This is sickening. I am so sorry.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 12:51 PM

Yes, it is sickening. So very sorry for your loss and for all the other people who lost their fur friend.

I hope someone finds out what was used, who did it, and it STOPS right away.

:no::no:

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 01:09 PM

I am on the mainland and every year right before a large tourist influx (like Semana Santa) there seems to be a lot of poisonings of dogs, sometimes tainted meat is used other times bowls of anti-freeze are left out, que lastima........

I hear the whales song
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 01:15 PM

Do you have Colorado River toads aka Sonoran toads over there? If so, have their been rains recently?

Squash

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 01:18 PM

I don't know about the toads. I have personally never seen any on or near cerritos. But we haven't had rain for a month or so.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 01:28 PM

We get occasional epidemics of dogs being poisoned over here and it often follows rains when the toads come out.

But we also have a continuing instance where some old gringo has decided to house literally 15 stray dogs that he feeds. They run loose in the neighborhoods as a threatenting pack and they make quite a racket in the night. It appears that certain neighbors decide to thin the herd, occasionally. :O

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 02:25 PM

that "thinning" is presently going on in mulege also...happens a couple times a year when the dog packs grow...someone takes it upon themselves to reduce the herd...keep yer mutts close; we are.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
that "thinning" is presently going on in mulege also...happens a couple times a year when the dog packs grow...someone takes it upon themselves to reduce the herd...keep yer mutts close; we are.

Kill them, but don't torture them. That's what poison does and that's sick.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 03:11 PM
So Sorry for Your Loss

And thank you for getting the information out so others are aware.

Hope that you find a replacement for that hole in your heart.

The two new puppies in our casa are keeping me so busy, I don't have time or energy to get fixated over the elderly dog we recently lost.

Best regards, GJ

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 03:44 PM

Any new taco stands opened up near by?
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

go to your room
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 05:02 PM

Cerritos Beach as well as most other areas where Gringos go is a dumping ground. Thanks for the update as Spring Break is coming and this is a normal time for our locals to leave us gifts! Welcome aboard, Squash. Good info and aheads up. The farmers also poison dogs that get in their fields. Take care of your dogs. Tio
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 05:11 PM

I learned this the nauseating way...

"Salchichas y veneno para ratas y ratones"

"They" slice open a hot dog and sprinkle tasteless and odorless Sodium Warfarin into the slice. It doesn't take much. The animal dies from massive spontaneous internal hemorrhage.

An adopted Mexican dog is the moat loving and loyal creature on the face of the earth.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 07:19 PM

Ask around Cerritos and bet one name comes up. Think management would like to see less dogs on the beach. Bad karma down there.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 07:39 PM

Many Mexicans just view dogs in a different light. They arent really pets. They're more like inexpensive security guards or inexpensive baby sitters for the kids. They just dont have the same feelings for them that some of us do in other cultures. They would NEVER consider spending money on any veterinarian services.

If they die, it's like a part failed in their car. Oh well, time to replace the fan belt.

It's hard for some of us to understand this part of the Mexican culture. Certainly it is mostly fostered by living close to the edge, financially. They have to make choices between REAL needs for their family and their dog. Dogs are often less than family members.

So, killing dogs that become a perceived inconvenience in their lives is easier for them to do, than for those of us who did not grow up in this culture.

It really struck home when I first moved down here and was confronted by the occasional pack of aggressive Mexican dogs. Someone suggested that all you need to do to send them fleeing is to bend down and pretend to pick up a rock. It works every time! Mexican dogs are so used to having rocks thrown at them that they instinctively understand this motion in humans.

You do the same thing to the gringo dogs that people bring down with them.........and they have no reaction at all. None.

It can be very hard for us to understand this. We have so much compassion for our dogs and treat them as nearly equal members of our family.

And so, one begins to understand the intense loyalty that an adopted Mexican dog will develop for a new, compassionate owner.

I've met gringos down here that treat dogs like this too, of course. They only have dogs so as to counter a perceived threat to their property. If there was no crime, there would be no need for a dog, in their minds. Dogs are a functional implement in life to them; not a source of companionship.

I've learned more about dogs and people in five years down here than in all my years of owning dogs in the States. The sense of living closer to a survivalist situation affects man and dog in ways I never realized while living in the "city".

Not really passing any judgement on anyone. Just some conclusions I've reached from living down here...........

Squash

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 10:29 AM

Thanks to those who've sent condolences. But just to be clear, my dog is fine, thank goodness. I just reposted the info from the baja western onion.

I was camping with my dog on the east side all last week and so I hadn't heard the news until my return and so I just wanted to help spread the word as many of us take our dogs to cerritos and let them run free.

And yes, folks here do speak of one probable culprit, but I suppose there is no way to know for sure.

I will say that the other thing I noticed upon my return were the new signs on the public access roads citing Mexican laws stating there is no camping allowed there (on the access roads). The look pretty official, have Mexican govt. agencies logos and stuff. But then you notice the last line on the sign, directing you to the new RV campground that just opened up (also in the week I was gone) behind the surf colony.

Also the week before that, they did some work on the access road on the north end of the beach= fenced off the grassy area where folks would sometimes camp in their vehicles and also towed away the old trailer that was there on the road. So maybe they are trying to "clean up" the beach?

I really don't know if any of this is related, and I certainly don't want to get flamed or whatever, but it's interesting to note all the changes taking place on cerritos.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 10:45 AM

Put up signs...

$10,000 Pesos Recompensa Para I.D. Los Personas Que Mata Los Perros Con Veneno

Check with your local Ministerio Publico. I'm not sure but I believe I read somewhere that placing poisoned bait in a public place (rather than on say private ranch land) is a major felony. If you can copy down and put the codigo y clave on reward notices to make the reward sound serious.

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

go to your room

My Bad
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 11:32 AM

Only Escuintlas amigo, or in a peench, chihuahuas for antojitos

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.