BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Dog Poisoning Alert At Los Cerritos!!!!
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
that "thinning" is presently going on in mulege also...happens a couple times a year when the dog packs grow...someone takes it upon themselves to reduce the herd...keep yer mutts close; we are.
I understand the perpetrator is the guy who makes machaca and hangs it outside his house to dry. He doesn't have a fenced yard, so he sets out poison.
What a bad guy! :fire:
Everybody knows and we do nothing :fire:
Killing animals is not illegal here in Baja Sur! :fire:

Mexico City has made it illegal within the capitol limits... finally... a $5000 peso fine and up to 6 months incarceration for knowingly killing an animal, I believe.

I've spoken with Dr. Manuel Cota, the veterinarian in Sta. Rosalia. He's an activist for local education of young people and families leading to change in the way animals are regarded, and I applaud his dedication and compassion.

Change has got to come!!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 12:29 PM

I'd spice that machaca with exlax some night.................

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 12:34 PM

Deposit dead animals on his porch. Leave a note:

"PARA SU MACHACA"

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2013 at 10:28 PM

This is very disconcerting given the fact that I just rented a house here on Cerritos for a week and brought my 2 dogs. Today there were 5 or 6 dogs running loose in front of the beach club restaurant so I am hoping the threat is behind me. Anybody see this happen before at this place?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDixon
This is very disconcerting given the fact that I just rented a house here on Cerritos for a week and brought my 2 dogs. Today there were 5 or 6 dogs running loose in front of the beach club restaurant so I am hoping the threat is behind me. Anybody see this happen before at this place?

The problem might be that there are too many dogs running around loose in front of the beach club. It is common for farmers to put out poison around their fields to keep dogs out. The Cerritos poisoning is another form of dog control.

The question you need to ask isn't whether it's happened before at Cerritos but when it will happen again. Are you comfortable allowing your dogs to roam freely even if it's outside where you are renting?

Bumped into a friend yesterday who walks her dogs on that beach most days and said her dogs are now on leash's.

Go back and reread the post that started this thread. Personal opinion: Cerritos is not a safe place for dogs right now.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 07:16 AM

I don't condone dog poisoning but I also don't understand why people think it's okay to take packs of dogs down to a crowded beach, there is nothing worse than being at the beach with your family and having dogs run across your beach blanket, knock over your kid, pee on your cooler, and take a big dump right next to you (all of which I have personally experienced there). There are plenty of uncrowded beaches around here where you can let your dogs run but keep them on a leash when you are at Los Cerritos.

[Edited on 2-20-2013 by monoloco]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 07:47 AM

Is the problem at Cerritos with off leash pets or homeless free ranging dogs, or both. What sparked the poisoning? Poisoning is horrible in both cases, but killing people's pets is especially horrible, over the top. :fire:

In more "civilized" places, both are criminal acts.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 07:54 AM

The problem is mostly with folks who think that it's totally acceptable to head down to the beach with sometimes 2,3 or 4 dogs and just let them run wild.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
The problem is mostly with folks who think that it's totally acceptable to head down to the beach with sometimes 2,3 or 4 dogs and just let them run wild.

Well, at least put some signs up asking dog owners to control their dogs and pick-up after them. Most dog owners, like me, know the issues. Reminders will work for a significant percentage, but not all the time.

Perhaps try to designate one end of the beach as "dog beach" where off leash is OK.

But, do you think the poisoning is being done because of pets? If so, the culprit needs to be dealt with, somehow.

[Edited on 2-20-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:

Well, at least put some signs up asking dog owners to control their dogs and pick-up after them. Most dog owners, like me, know the issues. Reminders will work for a significant percentage, but not all the time.

Perhaps try to designate one end of the beach as "dog beach" where off leash is OK.

But, do you think the poisoning is being done because of pets? If so, the culprit needs to be dealt with, somehow.

despite what the pope says, the solution is birth control! when people don't spay and neuter, pets and strays multiply, and with no municipal dog catcher to control the packs citizens are left to control on their own,...

time for a leash law? perhaps a muni dog license system can by put in place to provide funding to hire a real dog catcher or fund some birth control?

[Edited on 2-20-2013 by mtgoat666]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:

At Los Cerritos the problem is mostly with pets. There are many who hang out there who seem to collect dogs and think nothing of letting their packs run wild. I have a dog that I take to one of the deserted beaches here almost everyday, but I would not even consider inflicting her exuberance on the multitudes at Los Cerritos, it's just not considerate to the other beach goers IMO.
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 2-20-2013 at 07:45 PM

I second that Monoloco. Take them further south is what we do and pick up.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 12:41 PM

There are few things our dog loves more than playing with other dogs off-leash. Usually we do this in our own fenced-in backyard, but occasionally we'll bring him to either a dog park or a secluded park, beach, etc. We're always respectful of everyone around us and always supervise closely. We've never brought him with us to Baja, but when we do, we'll obviously need to be very careful...
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 01:14 PM
Loose Dogs

I live in Baja, I have a neighbor that lives in the states and comes down regularly. I have often heard him comment, Gee Dogs are so lucky they can come down here and run free. That attitude is conveyed by way too many people and is totally wrong.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 02:26 PM

JP...in your opinion it is totally wrong...but it is one of the zillions of things I love about Baja...dogs dont require leashes...people require brains to keep their dogs under control!!! Dogs really arent a problem in our village..yes things get rather loud when b-tches are in heat but this too passes.

Here is an example of It's a Dog's Life in the village! this dog sleeps on the hood of the mechanics car and when he starts er up the dog jumps up on top so the driver can see! They cruise all over town like this...so cool.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 07:02 AM

Some people - particularly those who don't own pets - don't make a distinction between dogs that are off-leash but under supervision and dogs that are left to fend for themselves. All the more reason for dog owners to be respectful of other people's property and vigilant for the pets' safety.
J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 08:52 AM
Pets

I have Pets, I love my Pets, I have a large secure environment for my pet's they do not run loose and defile other Peoples Property When I take my dogs for a walk I clean up after them. Although there may be no posted laws in Baja about pet control I see it as the Personal responsibility of pet owners to control pets. What is it some people don't get about being a good neighbor and a responsible pet owner.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 09:27 AM

Very, very sad that somebody would sink so low to poison an animal, especially a dog. It's a slow, painful death.
J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
Very, very sad that somebody would sink so low to poison an animal, especially a dog. It's a slow, painful death.

A lot of the poison that's available here across the counter that is available here you cant buy in the states. my neighbor's dog that was so lucky he could run free got ahold of some and I was surprised how fast it acted. In defense of the Indefensible act of poisoning Dogs the ground Squirrels have about over ran us this year people are putting poison out for them and the LOOSE UNSUPERVISED DOGS OCCASIONALY GET INTO IT.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba

Personally, I don't condone poisoning animals but that's a NOB attitude.

New Rules SOB.

I don't consider the Pescadero farmer as sinking low when he warns he is about to put poison in his fields to kill all animals. He doesn't want dogs running through his basil and he feels justified in saving his crop.

Those putting poison out at Cerritos are looking at dog control. It might be someone random, actually, who just doesn't like dogs. Or, it's those who see more and more dogs running loose dropping doodoo on the beach. No warning here.

I rarely walk my dog on this beach but when I have, I have her within 20' of me off leash. I never really take my eyes off of her because she is a food scavenger and will eat anything that looks good.

The poison being put out isn't chewy edibles. Probably something so tasty it'll be swallowed whole in a nano-second.

Keep an eye on your dog at Cerritos. Go far South away from buildings.

Life is cheap down here and cheaper for dogs.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.