Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7
Author: Subject: Help- Cabo cops robbed my son
GilandVal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 09:47 PM
Lee and CaboMagic

How dare you . . . we are 53 and 63 years old. Upstanding members of society. In our situation, we were physically at the Cabo San Lucas Police Department, with oozing wounds. All of a sudden there was no one at the Tourist Police Department who knew an ounce of English. This happened and we have many photos to prove it. Feel free to send me your email address and I will send you photos. After you view the photos I only ask that you post an apology. Keep in mind that I find this situation SO important that I am chosing to deal with this along with my husband's terminal illness.
BajaDixon
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 09:59 PM

Here is the latest on this story. Last night my son was going to take BajaGuy's advise and begin calling those agencies. He had a change of heart this morning for several reasons, the most prominent being that he is scheduled to spend another month in the area and he fears either retribution from the guilty party or perhaps some of their associates. So, the punks get a free ride.

Although I would like to see these a-holes brought up on charges I certainly support my son's decision. He's on their turf and therefore is at a distinct disadvantage. So be it.

I'd like to comment on the posts to this thread. For those of you who were supportive- you have my gratitude. For those who questioned every little detail and harbored doubts- it's really a shame. I came onto this forum hoping for support in my families time of need and instead got abused. It's a very sad thing.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDixon
Here is the latest on this story. Last night my son was going to take BajaGuy's advise and begin calling those agencies. He had a change of heart this morning for several reasons, the most prominent being that he is scheduled to spend another month in the area and he fears either retribution from the guilty party or perhaps some of their associates. So, the punks get a free ride.

Although I would like to see these a-holes brought up on charges I certainly support my son's decision. He's on their turf and therefore is at a distinct disadvantage. So be it.

I'd like to comment on the posts to this thread. For those of you who were supportive- you have my gratitude. For those who questioned every little detail and harbored doubts- it's really a shame. I came onto this forum hoping for support in my families time of need and instead got abused. It's a very sad thing.

It's a sad thing that your son is not doing the right thing. His inaction will only embolden the perps to seek out others. Just my two cents.

Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 10:07 PM

Quote:

I totally understand both your reaction and your son's choice. You received some very good and specific advice, and, sadly, some flack that is fairly normal here.

In part, some of the nay sayers have been in Baja for a long time, and have heard lots of stories repeated over a few beers that didn't hold up in the scruitiny of sunrise.

I hope that you will decide to stay around here, because of the positive support you got, and in spite of the orifi.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 10:46 PM

Ummm --- GilandVal How dare we what? I did not comment nor post a reply to your situation .. now that I have read your post to Cabomagic and Lee, its awful you went thru a clearly traumatic experience. You dont need to send me any photos as I dont need nor want to see them - but thanks for the offer.

It does not surprise me that at a time like you described that suddenly 'lociento no habla engles' was the environment you encountered .. that is another example of what I refer to as 'tradeoff'.

I neither apologize for nor excuse the behavior - I was not involved with it - I dont doubt what you write is true - I dont know you but certainly would not one to accuse you of telling a tall tale.

I hope you and your husband recover and put the experience behind you..

I assure you I wish you only the best .. and send good thoughts to you and your husband.

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by CaboMagic]

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 12:20 AM
Huh?

Quote:

Explain the sanity in being robbed by the police then extending your vacation?

Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 12:39 AM

Vacationing in Todos Santos, robbed in Cabo. A world away.
measomsan
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 07:39 AM

Makes the whole thing more wack. Why stay in the area of cabo or Todo. Well I have read many post that come in here and bring stories. Some are just that stories. Not sayin this one is but not reporting it.....

I'm here more than anywhere else. Get along fine. Hope others do as well
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 07:46 AM
naysayers

I can't believe the naysayers, and I am no Mexico basher either. All I can think is they have never had an unsavory experience themselves. Obviously they and their son love Mexico, good and bad...and understand the possibilities of further dealings with dirty cops.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 08:10 AM

the way I read the post is that bajadixon's son was ALREADY intending to spend more vacation time down south. He simply does not want to make a police report now. and who can blame him. revenge is a horrible thing and retaliation could then really ruin the rest of his vacation.

and furthermore, he can still file a report to the powers that be right before he leaves. That is still an option.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SwissFrank
Banned

Mood: lovable

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
You already know this, and it will make a good lesson to newbies, sadly at your son's expense...

1) Avoid Cabo (it's at the tip of Baja so you never need to go there to see the rest of Baja)
2) If you can't avoid Cabo, then avoid it at night.
3) If you can't avoid Cabo at night, don't walk out of a bar at 1:30 am, alone!

He can try filing a complaint if he can identify the cops. Boycotting bars in Cabo by everyone will have business owners get onto the police to stop that activity.

Don't be an easy mark!

Guess you missed my July Trip Report with tons of photos and good things to say about Cabo? My comment above was for anyone who feels the need to nightclub after midnight, alone... I mean he could have been killed (specially if it was in an American city)!

I like to think I have always been supportive of Cabo Magic, and include a link to it in my site. So, sorry if I didn't make it clear my comment was to people like this poor kid who the cops rolled, in that wonderful town at 1:30 am. Maybe I was too harsh... But, how about you and all the other tourism business owners in Cabo San Lucas visit the police station an lodge a serious complaint on behalf of that young man, as his story only enforces the idea of how unsafe Mexico is...??

Again, I am sorry for saying avoid Cabo if it costs you any business loss... I feel it is this thread and this man's experience that will have FAR more negative impact!

I do want to promote the good of Baja... even Cabo... that is why I said so many kind things in my July 2012 trip report. We had great fun in Cabo that day... and were back in La Paz, by dark!

David, How can I ever believe that your posts are sincere after reading both of these? Avoid Cabo, or go there and support the businesses of your friends?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 09:39 AM

I'm having more and more problems with this story as I read it. Here are some of my trouble spots:

BD wrote: Got a text from my son that 3 cops ( I'm assuming city cops since I haven't talked with him yet) put him in their car, held a gun to his head, and then stole his money!They then left him on the street.
---------
I know young kids like to text, but this is a major criminal act. Why didn't BajaNixon's son call him on the telephone as soon as it happened, and why was BajaNixon's first response seemed to be telling Nomad members sketchy information instead of calling is son, asking him if he was alright, and getting more information?

BN wrote: My son has been staying in Todos Santos for 2 months and frequents the clubs in Cabo. He is not involved in drugs or any other nefarious activity. He spends most of his days at the beach with his girlfriend and another friend. I was just down there last week visiting him and they do not look or act like criminals.

BN wroteLHe has his own money so he doesn't need mine.

Life must be nice for BajaNixon's son who has already spend 2 months on the Cabo beaches with his girlfriend, and another friend.

How does this young adult afford to spend two months on a beach with no visible means of support, because his Dad says he has his own money. I told my underemployed son with a part time job this story, and he wants to know how this young adult could afford to do this in one of the most expensive parts of Mexico, because my son would like to do that too. Is the kid rich, and the thieving violent cops had him marked, or was this a random event?

BN wrote: Here is the latest on this story. Last night my son was going to take BajaGuy's advise and begin calling those agencies. He had a change of heart this morning for several reasons, the most prominent being that he is scheduled to spend another month in the area and he fears either retribution from the guilty party or perhaps some of their associates. So, the punks get a free ride.

Unbelievable that a band of corrupt Cabo cops would put a gun to your head, rob you, and then leave you with no money, except for your cell phone that you could have used right away and called the Mexican emergency numbers.

Now BajaNixon's son doesn't want to call the police, because the police, or fake, poser police might want to seek revenge, and interfere with BajaNixon's plans on spending another month on the beach and in the clubs with his girlfriend.

Now I could see getting hit up by a corrupt Mexican cop for a few bucks, and then not wanting to call the police about it, but in this case the bad guys put a gun to the guys head, or that's the story we are being told.

What I would do if one of my son's lead a charmed life like this, is tell him, to report the crime, give them your phone number, and move on to another beach with clubs and your girlfriend, and if he worked from his computer, take the laptop with you.

We have nothing to corroborate this story, no police report, no newspaper article, nothing except an anonymous poster, with little history reporting a second hand story, although that person is his son.

If this story is real, the father needs to talk some sense into the boy to tell the police about it, because they may in fact be fake police roaming the streets looking for another victims. It does nobody any good telling this story on a "Baja forum" and getting your feelings hurt if somebody doesn't believe the story you're telling.

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by JoeJustJoe]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SwissFrank
You already know this, and it will make a good lesson to newbies, sadly at your son's expense...

1) Avoid Cabo (it's at the tip of Baja so you never need to go there to see the rest of Baja)
2) If you can't avoid Cabo, then avoid it at night.
3) If you can't avoid Cabo at night, don't walk out of a bar at 1:30 am, alone!

He can try filing a complaint if he can identify the cops. Boycotting bars in Cabo by everyone will have business owners get onto the police to stop that activity.

Don't be an easy mark!

Guess you missed my July Trip Report with tons of photos and good things to say about Cabo? My comment above was for anyone who feels the need to nightclub after midnight, alone... I mean he could have been killed (specially if it was in an American city)!

I like to think I have always been supportive of Cabo Magic, and include a link to it in my site. So, sorry if I didn't make it clear my comment was to people like this poor kid who the cops rolled, in that wonderful town at 1:30 am. Maybe I was too harsh... But, how about you and all the other tourism business owners in Cabo San Lucas visit the police station an lodge a serious complaint on behalf of that young man, as his story only enforces the idea of how unsafe Mexico is...??

Again, I am sorry for saying avoid Cabo if it costs you any business loss... I feel it is this thread and this man's experience that will have FAR more negative impact!

I do want to promote the good of Baja... even Cabo... that is why I said so many kind things in my July 2012 trip report. We had great fun in Cabo that day... and were back in La Paz, by dark!

David, How can I ever believe that your posts are sincere after reading both of these? Avoid Cabo, or go there and support the businesses of your friends?

Well Frank, I was expressing that 'avoid Cabo' part to young people who want to hit the bars late at night, alone. You can do that anywhere, so why pick a foreign country with a bad reputation in the media? It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, and I thought others here would have realized who I was addressing it to. My bad.

Those that actually read my trip reports here KNOW I was in Cabo last summer, and had a great time.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 10:35 AM

David,
you were in Cabo for a few hours once in the last How many years? How does that qualify you for advice on safety (or anything else for that matter). Wouldn't it be better to let people who are much more familiar with the territory provide advice?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 10:48 AM

My biggest fan folks... following me all over Baja Nomad!:lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 12:19 PM

If I was the kid I'd report it then get out of Dodge. There are lots of great places in Baja and Baja Sur to vacation.
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 12:21 PM

It must be nice to have such dedicated fans David! Good to know you're having an impact.:bounce:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
If I was the kid I'd report it then get out of Dodge. There are lots of great places in Baja and Baja Sur to vacation.

Report what? Who wouldn't deny it? It's the word of three Mexican police officers against that of one "had been drinking" American.
Talk about a stacked deck.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Report what? Who wouldn't deny it? It's the word of three Mexican police officers against that of one "had been drinking" American.
Talk about a stacked deck.

I know, but I'd still do it. If no one else at least the American Consulate.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I know, but I'd still do it. If no one else at least the American Consulate.

They will be the last ones to care. They're only down here for the interest of American business.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.