Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: FMM Question regarding pre-paying and multiple entries
buenasolas

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 05:13 PM
FMM Question regarding pre-paying and multiple entries

I have yet to get an FMM, since in the past I have gone no further than San Quintin, and never got checked at Maneadero. These trips were almost always 3 days or less. From what I've been reading I need to get an FMM now if I am going outside of the immediate border zone and/or staying more than 72 hours, is that correct?

I want to know whether I can get my FMM ahead of time, and if so where? I live in San Diego, so would be happy to go down and cross on foot via San Ysidro to fill out paperwork, etc. I have read that you can pay ahead, but still have to get your FMM stamped upon entry. I plan to request the max of 180 days, and want to know how to make multiple entrances/exits within this 180 days. Also, what is the procedure for returning/relinquishing your FMM at the end of your trip or 180 days.

In case it matters, I would probably get my FMM at San Ysidro or Otay IF I can get it ahead. I will probably cross at Mexicali for my next vacation to Puertecitos and BOLA. So if I am getting it the day of my trip, it would be in Mexicali.

Thanks in advance, I've already picked up quite a bit from lurking the forums.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 05:42 PM

You will plenty of answers or opinions, or not... but I always keep my FMM (well they were FMTs until a year or two ago) for the full 180 days (well about a week before they expire you are 'supposed' to mail them back in (or turn them in to immigration). A mailing address has been posted here by me and others in the past...

The Maneadero checkpoint has been closed since the 1980's I think... They began checking at the Eagle Monument (Baja Sur border on Hwy. 1) after that... State tourism people have said all of the northern state was the tourist zone, but alas that is really a federal rule and there has yet to be any update from them in print or Internet to be posted that I have seen changing the 'always south to Maneadero or San Felipe' and 'less than 72 hours anywhere' rule for getting a tourist card.

Better to have it and not need it... than to need it and not have it, right?

[Edited on 3-15-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 05:59 PM

Agree "better to have/not need" philosophy. Apply it liberally with dogs medical records, prescription medications, gas and water.

Went thru multiple military checkpoints to/from San Ignacio lagoon. We were never once asked to show the FMM, doc vaccination records or any other documents until the Tecate crossing back into the US. Then, passport/cards only.

Typical situation: the soldados at the checkpint north of Jesus Maria warned us not to spend the night at Pta Prieta because of "bad people." So we drove thru the checkpoint north, then turned around and went south to find a hotel in Jesus Maria (they waved us thru), then went north thru it again the next morning around 5:30 (it was cold!)- and all they asked for each time was my name and the year of my truck, and took a look inside the camper shell

The poodlegreeted them each time. I assured them "no es brava." We had no problems.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2013 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You will plenty of answers or opinions, or not... but I always keep my FMM (well they were FMTs until a year or two ago) for the full 180 days (well about a week before they expire you are 'supposed' to mail them back in (or turn them in to immigration). A mailing address has been posted here by me and others in the past...

According to Mexican immigration, the FMM is to be turned in upon exiting the country. It is only "good" for 180 days if you stay in the country; it is not good for multiple entries. If caught with an old FMM, it can be a $200 usd fine. Just beware...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
Quote:

According to Mexican immigration, the FMM is to be turned in upon exiting the country. It is only "good" for 180 days if you stay in the country; it is not good for multiple entries. If caught with an old FMM, it can be a $200 usd fine. Just beware...

It isn't 'old' until 181 days... and while they might love to collect $23 or more dollars every time an American crosses the border of a trip of 3+ days or south of Maneadero/ San Felipe... that just isn't really something that can be enforced if it is a rule, considering they do not collect the FMM when you cross back out of Mexico, and there is no process for this in the northbound lanes. How can you tell when a car in the line at the border was just coming back from Guerrero Negro or Ensenada, or shopping only in Tijuana?

I think they word it that way because foreign people in general may take a Mexican vacation no more than once every 6 months to a year. So, at the end of your (annual) vacation to Mexico, you are told you need to turn in the tourist card. We Nomads are the exception taking more vacations into Mexico!

Here's my logic on this (perhaps a wrong opinion, but it is one that hasn't yet failed me in nearly 50 years going to Baja). Back then the tourist card was FREE (until mid-2000) and there was an office next to Hwy. 1, just south of Maneadero where they were issued or stamped if you got one at the consulate in San Diego or L.A., as you could before...

Case in point about multiple entries: on the last time we got FMM's we went to Tijuana a week before our summer trip, to get the FMM's so it wouldn't require a stop there on our trip's first day, a Saturday morning, which we have experienced in the past as being busy.

We told the IMN agent that was what we were doing, that very day... it wasn't an issue, so we had that one for a second trip, next week. People do it a lot, walk into Mexico, get an FMM and leave Mexico to drive back later... a second trip, technically.

What if I walked into Mexico, got my FMM, then didn't use it for 100 days, then took my 15 day trip to Baja Sur? It is still valid for the second trip, within the 180 day period.

What if you crossed into Mexico every Sunday for a drive to El Rosario... Are you really going to go that often if you had to pay $23, every week, for 6 months? If that was the rule/ law/ then look at how much harm it would cause to the people of Baja if you chose to either not give $500 dollars to a government with no accounting of where it goes. Or, spend $500 on supporting people in Baja buy buying goods and services.

Some people are living in Baja on FMM tourist cards, and come north twice a year to buy new ones? How is that okay compared to another person going south 20 times for weekends only. Both people are 'documented', one stays most of the time in one place, and the other spends more time driving.

The military has NOTHING to do with inspecting tourist cards or passports, however it is easier for them to copy your name off either one of those, or a drivers license... So they ask for those things as they often do note your name, destination, starting location that day, car year model... At Gonzaga Bay military checkpoint they asked for my drivers license, but my passport was easier to show them, and it was a better substitution for them to copy my name. For you newbies, the military are only charged for finding guns, ammo, illegal drugs.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 05:41 AM

Got an FMM last November on way to Gonzaga Bay. Kept it crossing at Tecate on way back after 1 week.
Went to Tlaguepaque two Thursdays ago (3/7) via TJ airport (volaris $35 each way!) walked past immigration counter, never asked to show my 'old' FMM and returned on (3/12). Never once asked to show it any time any where. Still good 'till May 18th...looking for that deal on volaris to maybe use it one more time!
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 07:49 AM

All of the above is good information.

However, the FMM permit states on it, "Must be turned in when leaving Mexico", (paraphrased).

I think that this is written on the back but I can't verify it directly as I do not have an FMM directly in hand. Somebody that has one, What does it say??

FYI: BajaBound 's website has a page that describes the "border zone", "tourist corridors", "72 hr time limit w/o FMM", "the process", etc.

Also, a Q&A section - "Is it possible to enter and exit Mexico multiple times with the same tourist card (FMM)?" No, Tourist cards (FMM) are not multiple entry.

Link to BajaBound's page: FMM Info

To each his own .....
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It isn't 'old' until 181 days... and while they might love to collect $23 or more dollars every time an American crosses the border of a trip of 3+ days or south of Maneadero/ San Felipe... that just isn't really something that can be enforced if it is a rule, considering they do not collect the FMM when you cross back out of Mexico, and there is no process for this in the northbound lanes. How can you tell when a car in the line at the border was just coming back from Guerrero Negro or Ensenada, or shopping only in Tijuana?

I think they word it that way because foreign people in general may take a Mexican vacation no more than once every 6 months to a year. So, at the end of your (annual) vacation to Mexico, you are told you need to turn in the tourist card. We Nomads are the exception taking more vacations into Mexico!

Here's my logic on this (perhaps a wrong opinion, but it is one that hasn't yet failed me in nearly 50 years going to Baja). Back then the tourist card was FREE (until mid-2000) and there was an office next to Hwy. 1, just south of Maneadero where they were issued or stamped if you got one at the consulate in San Diego or L.A., as you could before...

Case in point about multiple entries: on the last time we got FMM's we went to Tijuana a week before our summer trip, to get the FMM's so it wouldn't require a stop there on our trip's first day, a Saturday morning, which we have experienced in the past as being busy.

We told the IMN agent that was what we were doing, that very day... it wasn't an issue, so we had that one for a second trip, next week. People do it a lot, walk into Mexico, get an FMM and leave Mexico to drive back later... a second trip, technically.

What if I walked into Mexico, got my FMM, then didn't use it for 100 days, then took my 15 day trip to Baja Sur? It is still valid for the second trip, within the 180 day period.

What if you crossed into Mexico every Sunday for a drive to El Rosario... Are you really going to go that often if you had to pay $23, every week, for 6 months? If that was the rule/ law/ then look at how much harm it would cause to the people of Baja if you chose to either not give $500 dollars to a government with no accounting of where it goes. Or, spend $500 on supporting people in Baja buy buying goods and services.

Some people are living in Baja on FMM tourist cards, and come north twice a year to buy new ones? How is that okay compared to another person going south 20 times for weekends only. Both people are 'documented', one stays most of the time in one place, and the other spends more time driving.

The military has NOTHING to do with inspecting tourist cards or passports, however it is easier for them to copy your name off either one of those, or a drivers license... So they ask for those things as they often do note your name, destination, starting location that day, car year model... At Gonzaga Bay military checkpoint they asked for my drivers license, but my passport was easier to show them, and it was a better substitution for them to copy my name. For you newbies, the military are only charged for finding guns, ammo, illegal drugs.

David,

I agree with many of your points and think the way they have it set up is ridiculous. However, it is the law. I don't think they make exceptions for Nomads.....
I also use mine for multiple entries knowing it is a gamble and could be an issue someday. I hope it never is.....

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 09:02 AM
It's Crazy

For a country that encourages tourism and would like more foreign dollars, Mexico sure makes it hard on tourists to know and follow the rules

Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
For a country that encourages tourism and would like more foreign dollars, Mexico sure makes it hard on tourists to know and follow the rules

Mexico knows they have a cash cow back north of the border. They know how to butter their bread.

Why do Liberals insist and demand that achievers pay the way for nonachievers who are to lazy to succeed, or are just failures by their own choice?

Criminals prefer unarmed victims, dictators prefer unarmed subjects.

Why do ignorant people continue their blabbering when it only proves to others how stupid they are.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
According to Mexican immigration, the FMM is to be turned in upon exiting the country. It is only "good" for 180 days if you stay in the country; it is not good for multiple entries

This is the ONLY correct reading of Mex Imm regs, anything else
re: so called mulitiple entries is INCORRECT, this has been
the reg since the fmt days, Any mention about there is no place to return an fmm is not an excuse, for the practical
application, few land travellers return an fmm when exiting,
I don't, I cross at San Felipe where it is easy to hop out
of the vehicle while in line crossing back, and walk to
to Mex Imm and return it before it expires. I have never
read or heard of any visitor being questioned or denied
an fmm beacuse they did not return a previous one,
Mwx Imm does seem to have the computer capability
of tracking fmm's, to confuse things, Mex Imm may
tell you you don't have to return an fmm, it's Mex

[Edited on 3-15-2013 by sancho]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 11:25 AM
Address for turning in your FMM

INSTITUTO NACIONAL DE MIGRACION
PUENTE PUERTA S/N
COLONIA FEDERAL
TIJUANA, B.C. MEXICO C.P. 22310

We have been mailing ours back for about the last 3 years, before that is was never an issue to our knowledge.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
According to Mexican immigration, the FMM is to be turned in upon exiting the country.

Exiting for the final time, before it expires... perhaps? Even this is false, as they clearly have provided a mailing address to have you send them in, from the USA, before they expire (or after your trip if you aren't going back before)!

So they grant a wavier knowing it is physically impossible to get over to the southbound border where the INM office is, when you are northbound for America... People with RVs and trailers have no hope in most border cities. You don't have to turn it in when you leave Mexico is what having a mailing address means... So relax... It really is just a cash cow for the feds in Mexico.

It hurts tourism by adding a bureaucratic hassle to an already fearful tourist who can easily choose other places than Mexico to vacation.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
For a country that encourages tourism and would like more foreign dollars, Mexico sure makes it hard on tourists

do you know how hard it is for mexicans (and many other foreigners) to get visas to be tourist in USA? :wow::wow::wow:

entering mexico seems relatively easy, i don't think it could get much easier.

now that san ysidro immigration is all computerized i may start mailing in my old visas,... hate for them to someday choose to realize i have not complied.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
For a country that encourages tourism and would like more foreign dollars, Mexico sure makes it hard on tourists

do you know how hard it is for mexicans (and many other foreigners) to get visas to be tourist in USA? :wow::wow::wow:

entering mexico seems relatively easy, i don't think it could get much easier.

now that san ysidro immigration is all computerized i may start mailing in my old visas,... hate for them to someday choose to realize i have not complied.

Not the same... Americans don't come into Mexico en mass to get free services, have babies (to get more free services), and in any way burden the Mexican taxpayer. Tourism is a major source of income to Baja.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Not the same... Americans don't come into Mexico en mass to get free services, have babies (to get more free services), and in any way burden the Mexican taxpayer.

no, they come en mass to work for gringos for low wages.

while they are here they pay taxes, make gringos rich by providing low cost labor, etc., i think they contribute more than they partake in govt services. it all depends on how you measure what you measure.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Exiting for the final time, before it expires... perhaps?

Why do you keep putting YOUR spin on this? What don't
you understand? The 180 day is applicable for a CONTINUOS
stay of 180 days. This is not open for your interpertation.
It is not for mulitiple entries, do most of us it for mulitiple
entries, of course: http://www.sandiegoleisure.com/FMMVISAFORM.html
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 03:55 PM

Buenasolas
To try to help with your question, since you live in San Diego, you can get the Mexican FMM at Discover Baja in Univercity city area of San Diego. 3264 Governor Drive, San Diego, CA 92122. 619.275.4225. Much easier than crossing the border a few days in advance of your trip.
Good luck and have fun.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
Buenasolas
To try to help with your question, since you live in San Diego, you can get the Mexican FMM at Discover Baja in Univercity city area of San Diego. 3264 Governor Drive, San Diego, CA 92122. 619.275.4225. Much easier than crossing the border a few days in advance of your trip.
Good luck and have fun.
Larry

Larry, the pre paid Discover Baja obtained FMM still needs to be stamped at the INM office when you enter Mexico, so the stopping at the border is still going to take place to validate that tourist card. If you cross when or where there isn't an open money taker at the border, then the DB prepaid FMM is a gem... that still requires a stop, park, walk to the INM window/ office to have it validated.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Exiting for the final time, before it expires... perhaps?

Why do you keep putting YOUR spin on this? What don't
you understand? The 180 day is applicable for a CONTINUOS
stay of 180 days. This is not open for your interpertation.
It is not for mulitiple entries, do most of us it for mulitiple
entries, of course: http://www.sandiegoleisure.com/FMMVISAFORM.html

Hi Sancho, like you, I want the facts... that link is to a private company that makes money issuing visas. Show me (us) a Mexican Federal Government web page that says you can't get an FMM on Monday and use it to come back on Saturday!!! Two, Five, ten crossing of the border with the same FMM withing its active 180 days is both done and there is no way to have it not work that way unless every car or pedestrian that crosses the border is stopped!

I did it (used it for two trips) with the blessing and smiles of the INM officer, last July... I posted all the details and photos then, too!

I am not telling anyone here what to do or to not pay the fee... pay it as much as you like, give them double... but you got to understand nobody on Baja Nomad has been fined or sent to jail for using an active FMM or FMT for more than one trip to Baja! I have also not heard of ANYONE being 'caught' for not returning the unexpired FMM or FMT either by mail or in person! Don't take this for saying avoid the law, take this for saying the law is unclear, and I think if $23 is good for 180 days for one gringo, then it should be good for all gringos! The law should be fair, equal, and blind to whom it applies.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.