Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wildcoast 2nd Annual Baja Bash
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 05:29 PM
Wildcoast 2nd Annual Baja Bash

Anyone going?

A charity event to benefit the efforts of Wildcoast to preserve Baja.

6/15/2013 @ 6PM

Food, drink, fun, music.

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 06:42 PM

I missed it last year....definitely want to go this year!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 07:25 PM

Me too Geoff. It's on my calendar and I plan on going.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 07:33 PM

Do they have maps showing the land they say they bought along the coast to preserve it? I have always been curious about that... Plus, I love maps!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 07:38 PM

Here's a link to some of their accomplishments:

http://www.wildcoast.net/who-we-are/history

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2013 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Here's a link to some of their accomplishments:

http://www.wildcoast.net/who-we-are/history

Thanks Jon,

This was what I recall from a while ago, and I thought they were going to continue to purchase as much of the 200 miles Seven Sisters coast as possible, with the money they receive?:

WiLDCOAST protected during 2011 4,371 acres and 2.3 miles of coastline along the Valle de los Cirios Pacific Coast through direct land purchases and conservation easement agreements.

I believe I met some of them at Baja Bound's Christmas Party?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2013 at 12:00 AM

They have stayed with us quite often and I have participated in some of their workshops .... remember the thread on COMPOSTING ? That was one.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2013 at 08:25 AM

If we were still in the San Diego area, that looks like it would be a lot of fun. Their involvement in saving Cabo Pulmo and their work at San Ignacio is enough reason to support them, IMHO. Of course they have done so much more for Mexico including encouraging the development of local chapters in large towns and small villages in Baja.

And for those who are interested in supporting another group who is busy studying and preserving land in Baja, check out Terra Peninsular They also do a lot of local community education and training.

Their main office is in Encenada and some of you may have noticed one of their signs along the highway between San Quintin and El Rosario. It is one of the places they have been successful in preserving.

Check them out --- We had the good fortune of meeting the founder of the organization and a few others when they were in Bahia Asuncion after their excursion into the Santa Clara mountains. While they certainly are not as large as Wildcoast, they are doing lots of good work.

I hope that those who attend the Wildcoast event have a GREAT time and I hope they raise tons of money!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2013 at 08:49 AM

DianaT, thanks for the Terra link. That video on their homepage is very educational.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2013 at 08:52 AM

David, I saw an email or post somewhere recently from Wildcoast in regards to the 7 Sisters area. It was an announcement of another large acquisition. I will try to find it.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2013 at 08:56 AM

If you have 30 minutes to watch a video about their efforts to save the Baja coastline, watch this video:

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi83990809/

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2013 at 09:00 AM

30 miles of coastline!!

From their webpage:

It is not yet February and WiLDCOAST is already preparing for it's second site survey to protected properties on the Valle de los Cirios Pacific Coast in central Baja California. In early January, WiLDCOAST installed informational signage on two protected properties in the region and visited with local fish camps and land owners.To date, WiLDCOAST has protected 24,708 acres and 29.4 miles of undisturbed shoreline in the region through direct purchases and conservation easements.

http://www.wildcoast.net/media-center/news/787

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 3-16-2013 at 09:45 AM

It looks good. I cant make it this year

No worries
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2013 at 10:12 AM

Hey from 2.3 to 29.4 miles of coastline is a big increase. From about 1% to over 10% of the Seven Sisters. :wow:

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2013 at 07:46 AM

Bump....this weekend. I had planned on going, but can't due to work.

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 6-14-2013 at 09:43 AM

I got my ticket! Gonna be a fun night!

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 12:33 PM
Wildcoast's Baja Bash Brings Baja Med Cuisine to San Diego

From The OC Weekly

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2013/06/wildcoasts_...

"If you still haven't crossed the border, let the border cross you tomorrow night at Wildcoast's Baja Bash, a charity event to raise funds that will go to the preservation of Baja's coast and ocean. Good idea, because that's where all these wonderful seafood products come from--it's one of the many reasons we keep coming back for more tasty adventures in Baja California.

The event is hosted by Chef Marcela Valladolid, a Tijuana native and host of the Food Network's Mexican Made Easy, as well as a ruthless judge the new CBS bake off, called the American Baking Competition. There will be tequila poured from Valladolid's own family label, Hacienda de la Flor, and Baja's and San Diego's top restaurants and chefs will be serving up the flavors of Baja California from Tijuana to Cabo. Here's what you'll find at the event.

Lucha Libre icon, El Hijo del Santo will be honored at the Baja Bash, whose illustrious career began grappling with masked opponents in the WWA, or Tijuana circuit. Music will be provided by local San Diego legends, the B-Side Players.

San Diego will be represented by chefs Chad White--a recent disciple of Baja Med cuisine--Jason Knibb, executive chef for Nine-Ten Restaurant and Bar, and Todd Nash of the Dakota Grill.

Tijuana's Caza Club is sending chef Humberto Aviles--Caza Club is a newer restaurant in the Tijuana dining scene that highlights the fine products of Baja California on the grill. Chef Miguel Angel Guerrero's new restaurant on Av. Revolucion, El Colegio Baja Med will be there, too--pay close attention--two of Tijuana's best chefs are now on la Revu--this trend will continue!

From Cabo, Chef Drew Deckman, one of the peninsula's best proponents of using the local Baja products--you can catch him this summer at Deckman's en el Mogor, at the Valle de Guadalupe's Mogor Badan winery.

And finally, Chef Javier Plascencia will be on hand to serve the cutting edge Mision 19 cuisine that has made him an international sensation in these past couple of years. He's fresh off an appearance at the most prestigious chef event in Mexico, Chef Enrique Olvera's MesAmerica.

This is a taste of Baja California without the border wait, and a chance to see what you've been missing if you're still on the fence about taking the plunge into Baja."

Baja Bash, Saturday, June 15th, 6pm-10pm, Port Pavillion at the Broadway Pier, Port of San Diego, $75 a person, money goes to preserve Baja's ocean and coast.

For tickets, go to this link: https://app.etapestry.com/cart/WildCoast/default/item.php?re...

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 07:00 PM

I was looking for the salaries of the top guys, not listed, most of these socalled none profits are just a tax dodge and most of the money donated is bled off in salaries and costs with very little actually getting used for the "purpose"
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
I was looking for the salaries of the top guys, not listed, most of these socalled none profits are just a tax dodge and most of the money donated is bled off in salaries and costs with very little actually getting used for the "purpose"
everything is a conspiracy, in ojai :lol:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-15-2013 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg

Bah humbug!

Cranky critic, aren't we?

What have you contributed to your community today?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.