Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: solar in baja - larger scale on grid
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 09:49 AM
solar in baja - larger scale on grid

Rumor down here is that mexican guvmint now wanting to go more "green".

Feds offering an ITC at 30% if application is for AG. And CFE is participating in grid tie apps.

Anyone confirm?

ITC = investment tax credits.
AG = agricultural ops.

Have a contractor here who is in discussion with some large vege growers to produce greenhouses with solar PV on tops. He is involved with principals in Guaymas and San Carlos. Also warehouses at Nogales where product is stored pending crossing the border. Cooling via Solar could be a big deal. Just curious if any expats have heard or read about this south?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 01:47 PM

I'd like to know more about the little solar farm we see from the road where the geothermal site is near Tres Vergenes. I wonder if it just goes to the grid, or if it is dedicated?

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 10:34 AM

if you can get close inspect it. If it is grid tied you can tell by the metering configuration - and you won't see a battery shack. It also would mean a CFE feed line would be there. If the site is off grid - no power to it - it can't tie back.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 01:07 PM

I think it is grid inter-tie, because there is no local point of use that I can see, and no reason to put the farm so far away from any specific use. There are poles to/from the site.

It is hard to believe that one of the world's largest builders of solar collectors is going bankrupt in China, and PV STILL costs nearly a dollar a watt in this chaotic country! (US) I do not assume that normal market forces are at play here. The Chinese may have been undercut in some dark way by the forces of anti-communism. Folks who expect at any moment to be raptured off the face of the earth can't be expected to put much emphasis on developing energy sources for a future they delusionally believe will not come. The tea party continues as peak oil adds its weight to global holy war.

A little solar farm in the desert gives me hope for the survival of the most "adequately fit" as an old human anat./phys. prof. often said.:):)

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 10:24 AM

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/05/29/latin-americas-largest-p...

A new 30 MW solar photovoltaic power plant is currently being constructed in Mexico — in La Paz, Baja California Sur. Once completed, the plant will be Latin America’s largest photovoltaic solar power plant, providing enough electricity to power an estimated 160,000 households.
Read more at http://cleantechnica.com/2013/05/29/latin-americas-largest-p...

The solar power plant, situated on a large 100-hectare site, will feature about 132,000 modules installed on single-axis trackers once completed — generating about 82 GWh/year and offsetting around 60,000 tons of CO2 emissions. It is currently scheduled to be completed by August 2013.
The project will be the first utility-scale solar project under a Power Purchase Agreement contract (20 years long) between a private company and Comisión Federal de Electricidad, Mexico’s federal power company, and also represents a big increase in total solar capacity for the country.
“Martifer Solar’s experience and worldwide track-record were decisive during the analysis of the different proposals made by the main companies in the sector. Due to its dimension, this project in Mexico will open the way for the development of the photovoltaic sector in the country, where, to date, were installed 13 MW of PV projects”, says Hector Olea, CEO of Gauss Energía, a Mexican company specialized in project development in the energy sector, in the press release.
Mexico has enormous potential with regards to solar energy — 70% of the country has an insolation of greater than 4.5 kWh/m²/day. What that means is that by “using 15% efficient photovoltaics, a square 25 km (16 mi) on each side in the state of Chihuahua or the Sonoran Desert (0.01% of Mexico) could supply all of Mexico’s electricity.” It’s currently predicted that the country will experience a solar power boom in the coming years, likely allowing it to reach its goal of receiving 35% of its energy from renewable sources by 2026.

Read more at http://cleantechnica.com/2013/05/29/latin-americas-largest-p...
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 11:50 AM

Does anyone know exactly where in La Paz this will be built?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Does anyone know exactly where in La Paz this will be built?

i think here:

http://www.aurasolar.com.mx/
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 01:20 PM

Looks good for reflections into pilot's eyes on approach to the airport.
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend
Looks good for reflections into pilot's eyes on approach to the airport.
great point...

I remember the hotel in Vegas with the pyramid with the bright beam shooting out that they finally removed for that reason.

But do planes really come into Lapaz airport anymore? (just kidding)

[Edited on 6-3-2013 by laventana]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 02:45 PM

Our MX clients and future partners just completed their mfgr plant in Sonora for producing panels. all the equip was imported from China. We hope to place several thousand of their product in the 1st state side PPA being negotiated on their behalf.

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Our MX clients and future partners just completed their mfgr plant in Sonora for producing panels. all the equip was imported from China. We hope to place several thousand of their product in the 1st state side PPA being negotiated on their behalf.

Please keep us updated. I would rather keep my purchases in country than send my money to China. We try to avoid Chinese products and its getting harder and harder.

Free Tibet :cool:
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 06:55 PM

I love the math when people describe how many homes will be powered by a new power plant.
Let's see, a 30-MegaWatt maximum output solar plant can supply 160,000 homes with...uh, what? 200 watts a piece?
Good thing it's right at noon when nobody's home!
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandy
I love the math when people describe how many homes will be powered by a new power plant.
Let's see, a 30-MegaWatt maximum output solar plant can supply 160,000 homes with...uh, what? 200 watts a piece?

yes it is strange, taking their 80giga watt hours a year if at 20 cents per kWh is only 16 million dollars a year, or $100.00 per household a year.

How can a company that installs this be that far off.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2013 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I think it is grid inter-tie, because there is no local point of use that I can see, and no reason to put the farm so far away from any specific use. There are poles to/from the site.

It is hard to believe that one of the world's largest builders of solar collectors is going bankrupt in China, and PV STILL costs nearly a dollar a watt in this chaotic country! (US) I do not assume that normal market forces are at play here. The Chinese may have been undercut in some dark way by the forces of anti-communism. Folks who expect at any moment to be raptured off the face of the earth can't be expected to put much emphasis on developing energy sources for a future they delusionally believe will not come. The tea party continues as peak oil adds its weight to global holy war.

A little solar farm in the desert gives me hope for the survival of the most "adequately fit" as an old human anat./phys. prof. often said.:):)

Some times you just can't help but spew your political left wing contamination. Makes me think of the poster "A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open".

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2013 at 10:48 AM
math - solar

Quote:
Originally posted by vandy

you have to consider insolation factor on the math. In AZ the multiplier is 6.67 generally - it is higher further south like La paz. the sun lays down the potential of 1000 watts per square meter per hour.

there are serious forces at play in Mexico as CFE now has commited to solar in a big way. Much foreign capital moving in to participate.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.