BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Photobucket alternatives?
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 09:00 AM
Photobucket alternatives?

I've just returned from a trip and my photobucket account has hit the new restriction limit without me adding a single photo. I'm disgruntled as all getout and will not be held hostage by them. If I'm going to pay for an account, SmugMug is a much better fee for service site.

Before I do that, I'd like to know which other sites you might be using and what strengths and weaknesses they have..........thanks.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 09:06 AM

picasa works great (google product). i think picasa storage is unlimited if you keep your pics sized within their specs.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
picasa works great (google product). i think picasa storage is unlimited if you keep your pics sized within their specs.

I like picasa as well. I pay $5 per year for extra storage. I store the pics on my computer as well as online.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 09:09 AM

They threw up that 'almost max' gauge at me for 2 weeks, hoping I would become a 'Premium Member' and I ignored it. Now it's gone because the anniversary date of my joining Photobucket (23rd) has passed (limiter resets on the day you joined, each month). It doesn't have to do with you adding photos but instead on how many places the photos are being seen on the Internet. Photobucket is one of the cheapest 'premium' fees I believe... Someone here posted a link to other photo hosting sites, and even with Photobucket making the recent changes and fixes to those changes... which was a bit too much drama for me, I still haven't seen a better free site... But, I am open to keep examining options!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 09:21 AM

re storage,... nothing in life is free, photo-host has to make a buck somehow,...

now, re people's pics,... most people post way too many repetitive pics,.. they take 100 pics and post 90 pics,... try saving/posting <5 of every 100 and your photo collection will be higher quality and you wont have storage issues.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 11:44 AM

Putting an "attach file" button on here would make many folks very happy.

No Photobucket.....no off site storage.......no fuss....no worries...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
Putting an "attach file" button on here would make many folks very happy.

No Photobucket.....no off site storage.......no fuss....no worries...

It is... the problem is the photo you attach must be less than 50 kbs in file size so most photos need to be reduced, and second, you can only have one photo per post with the 'attach file' feature.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 01:59 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. It looks like Picasa is a download?

As I said, SmugMug will be my choice of pay sites, Photobucket won't get my business with their strong arm tactics....they can rot.

Also stumbled into Lafango which looks interesting.

BTW, everything is backed up at my home. Discs and hard drive. I take lots of photos and take no chances with them.

Photobucket was great till they "improved" the site and this new forceful demand is not how they will get my business.

[Edited on 3-28-2013 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 02:02 PM

More info on Picasa from CNET:
http://download.cnet.com/Picasa/3000-2193_4-10160334.html

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 02:11 PM

Dropbox
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2013 at 02:42 PM

Demand? No demands made to me and I have thousands of photos and maps there for sharing here and other web sites. Hope you get something figured out so you can share pics with us soon.

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 07:12 AM

As fatboy said, Dropbox.
Free and painless, however you will need to resize images prior to uploading. Use Gimp, ms paint or any photo editor.
Or
Get your own website host, a free ftp program and your set . Bandwidth is cheap now, so you could do this for 50 to 200 per year, depending on number and sizd of your photos. You could even do this as a blog, wordpress or google. Email if you want more details.
See you on your next trip!

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 08:04 AM

Photobucket truely sucks...I have emailed their support people mucho times..all I ever got was referrals to FAQ's none of which applied.....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 04:51 PM

New Nomad 'russchung' just posted a trip report with Photobucket photos all sized at 800 pixels here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=66481#pid8049...

So, it is good to see that it works just fine for newbies as well as old codgers like me... lol. :yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.