BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: safe parking hotel in south Ensenadad?
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 06:27 AM
safe parking hotel in south Ensenadad?

I usually stay at the California Motel and RV park on first day south from Phoenix to Loreto but would like to get a little further south...even just through town or even somewhere south of there, maybe as far as Santo Tomas. Can anyone recommend somewhere with safe parking? if not easily seen from highway, directions, too, please. thanks for any suggestions.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 06:41 AM

There is a fairly large RV park about 5 miles south of Maneadero, on the right side.
Always clean and well groomed.

Maneadero is about 8 miles from Santo Thomas...there is nothing in Santo Thomas.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 06:45 AM

Check out the Estero Beach Hotel, about 6 mi south of Ensenada.. Nice resturant and very secure parking..

http://www.hotelesterobeach.com/en/home.php

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
Check out the Estero Beach Hotel, about 6 mi south of Ensenada.. Nice resturant and very secure parking..

http://www.hotelesterobeach.com/en/home.php

Hotel Azteca on the left side just after the turn off to Estero beach. A lot of Baja 500 racers park their expensive rigs there and the rooms start at 200 pesos/night.

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 08:13 AM

Estero Beach.....hands down.

[Edited on 3-31-2013 by DENNIS]
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 08:19 AM
at the Pemex station in Santo Tomas

up on the hill behind the station there's a clean and quiet, basic motel, room-side parking.

Seems safe enough, but if you're pulling a trailer you might not make it up the steep hill and sharp turn.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
up on the hill behind the station there's a clean and quiet, basic motel, room-side parking.

Seems safe enough, but if you're pulling a trailer you might not make it up the steep hill and sharp turn.

Historic as well. Jack Smith used to stay there on his trips down while writing "God and Mr. Gomez."

That turn is nasty.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 08:46 AM

Quote:

Also looking for an overnight near Ensenada.

Santo Tomas would be perfect.

Has anybody actually stayed in this motel recently? Comments?

If the "God and Mister Gomez" author stayed there, this motel has been around for a while.....
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 08:56 AM
Posada Don Diego

A bit further south yet...Stayed here last spring in the RV Park with night security, good restaurant and free Margie:

http://www.posadadondiego.com/contact-booking

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 08:57 AM

I stayed at the Santo Tomas place once. never again. dank, dark, dirty overpriced (well, honestly, I can't think of what a fair price would be for the place) rooms, and very very cold. they tried to find me a working space heater. one good one finally, which blew the breaker. only time I've ever driven in the dark...I finally couldn't stand it at 4am and got in the car and drove north because I was too darn cold.

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Quote:

Also looking for an overnight near Ensenada.

Santo Tomas would be perfect.

Has anybody actually stayed in this motel recently? Comments?

If the "God and Mister Gomez" author stayed there, this motel has been around for a while.....

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 10:00 AM

Hotel La Quinta Bonita
Carr. Trans. #6683
Ensenada, B.C.

www.hotellaquintabonita.com
Tel. (646) 177-5951
(646) 173-3214

LQB is on the transpeninsular carretera, Mex. 1, south of the airport in Ensenada on the east side of Mex. 1. It has a prominent sign. Coming from the north you must pass it to the next break in the divided highway and U-turn back. Parking is in an enclosed central court. I've stayed there both towing a boat and not. It is not possible to get a trailer inside, but when towing a boat I parked on the street directly in front of the night clerk's office and had no problem. It's not fancy, but it is clean and secure.

[Edited on 3-31-2013 by bill erhardt]

[Edited on 3-31-2013 by bill erhardt]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR

There's a park with a pool and camping area across the street. [same owners]

http://www.ontheroadin.com/baja/bajarvparks/elpalomar.htm

I was first in the pool around 1962 and it was far from new then. It was the only thing around. As far as tourist accomodations in the area, it's still the only thing around.
The owners of all this, called El Palomar, run a pretty clean operation so I don't see the possibility of neglect being an issue.
Can't say as much for age.

If this trip were mine, I'd be inclined to plan an itinerary that would put me in Estero Beach or San Quintin for the night.

oooops....didn't see Rhintransit's scatheing review up there.
Ohhh well.....you're on your own.

[Edited on 3-31-2013 by DENNIS]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 10:09 AM
Poco Cielo????

Don't know from your post if you need an RV park for your rig or are driving a car/truck.

You might try Poco Cielo, KM 59, in the La Mision area north of Ensenada and south of Rosarito.

Clean nice rooms and an excellent restaurant.....

http://www.pococielo.net/

Or south of Santo Tomas and San Vicente, there is a nice new place on your left before you get into Colonet

Note:....Original post edited because I can't read well after a few Bloody Mary's

[Edited on 3-31-2013 by bajaguy]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
.....If you want a great jumping off point to cross into the US, you might try Poco Cielo, KM 59, in the La Mision area north of Ensenada and south of Rosarito.

Clean nice rooms and an excellent restaurant.....

Agree on the restaurant!

Based on Udo's tip, we stopped there for drinks and app's a few weeks ago. Very nice place. We should have asked to see the rooms, though. Will give them a try in the future.

Ken

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 01:48 PM

"South Ensenada" is called Chapultepec. Technically, a separate municipality. This is where Estero Beach is (and they do have a hotel in that RV park). There is plenty of cheaper hotels in Chapulepec - cheaper than Estero - and I think all are safe. Stayed in Motel Venegas $20 on Morelos, which is the main drag or a parallel street to main drag. There was another one that looked "safer" to me, with enclosed courtyard, probably more expensive, called Bamboo Motel, at Juarez y Primera, east of the town park.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm
"South Ensenada" is called Chapultepec. Technically, a separate municipality. This is where Estero Beach is (and they do have a hotel in that RV park).

Not exactly so, but close. There are areas, zip codes, between Chapultepec and Ensenada...Ciprés, for one amongst others. That's where the military bases are located.
It's all one municipality......... Ensenada.........which goes down to the state line and east to the Gulf.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 02:33 PM
Motel El Palomar

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR

Perhaps the author of "God and Mister Gomez" stayed there, but I don't suppose The Old Man Himself did... the motel's not that old, basic and simple an' nothing you'd write home to your mama about, but not THAT old.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 02:37 PM

Palomar makes a mean chicken mole' with sesame seeds on top! my mouth is watering typing this!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 02:41 PM

Quote:

Perhaps the author of "God and Mister Gomez" stayed there, but I don't suppose The Old Man Himself did... the motel's not that old, basic and simple an' nothing you'd write home to your mama about, but not THAT old.

Jack Smith, the author, and Mr. Gomez were , mas o menos, the same age. Sr. Gomez probably wouldn't have had much reason to stay there as he lived out at La Bocana, the setting for the book.
I met him at his little store out there.

There may be more to the motel today than there was back then. It looks like a series of additions, but it was there in the 50s......part of it anyway.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-31-2013 at 03:59 PM
I forgot about this place in Maneadro

(photo by tripledigitken)

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.