Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Rio Hardy and Baja Pole Line Road 4WD Trail Report
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-1-2013 at 09:49 PM
Rio Hardy and Baja Pole Line Road 4WD Trail Report

The 2013 Baja Pole Line Road 4WD event was one to not have missed. MICK (and his family) treated the Baja Pole Line Group to some of the most stellar accommodations a desert Baja traveler could envision.

- Accomodations on the Rio Hardy River (sandwiched between Mexicali and the Laguna Salada)

- Dinner on the Rio Hardy River (while watching the local children enjoying an Easter Egg Hunt)

- A great, new jumping off point into the Laguna Salada (including an action-packed water crossing from a Sea of Cortez-fed tributary!)

- And more "Off-Road Fun" in a speedy River Boat on the Rio Hardy! This rig had enough 'GET UP AND GO' to even knock over Nomad CG!:lol:

The 2013 Baja Pole Line Run began with a visit (among Nomads) to the home of MICK (and wife Penny, Brother-in-law Scott, and Sister-in-law Gaila). Our early arrival allowed for a late afternoon river cruise along the Rio Hardy.

The next morning, our group of six vehicles left for the Baja Pole Line Road. On this run, we kept the number of days on the trail to two. This faster pace felt 'busier' than three-day runs, but the calendar dictated our schedule, and it worked well, regardless.

Our group camped in Cañon Enmedio - preferring a desert wash to the camp spots used previously. Nighttime temperatures were in the mid 50s with clear nighttime skies. Vehicle breakdowns were nonexistent with MICK's pickup heating up along a sandy alluvial fan wash leading up to THE SUMMIT. My Jeep Rubicon suffered a sheared shock absorber bolt, a LOOSE TIE ROD:o (Yikes!), and a BROKEN LIGHT BAR.:no:

On this run, no tires were punctured nor failed. :!:

Follow along with the Pole Line photos (to be posted tomorrow after I get some sleep).

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 07:58 AM

Looking forward to the photos Ken... glad you got back okay!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 01:01 PM

Looking forward to pics. No wonder we were so tired after our Pole Line trip last March---we drove it all in one day! Camping along the way would be much funner.
russchung

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 03:10 PM

Great hospitality, perfect weather, wonderful friends and beautiful scenery describe the 2013 Pole Line Road trip.

I met up with Ken and Leidys in El Centro, CA on Friday morning for brunch. Unfortunately, the Denny’s was packed with holiday travelers and instead of waiting for a table we decided to cross the border and look for a place to eat. Our first stop in Mexicali was at a bank ATM to get some pesos. I discovered that the bank ATM would only accept debit cards that have an embedded chip, so my current Bank of America debit card would not work. The banks were closed for the holiday, so I could not go inside to get help. After trying four different bank ATMs, I gave up and hoped that my credit cards would work (they did). We ate lunch at the Mariscos Sonorense Restaurant on Avenida Castellon and went to the Wal-Mart to get some food and supplies for the Rio Hardy BBQ.

We followed Mick’s directions and arrived at the Rio Hardy casa about mid-afternoon.

Mick gave us a tour of the neighborhood as we headed to the Pemex station in Durango to top off our tanks and gas cans, then he gave us a boat tour of the Rio Hardy. On the boat tour we were joined by Mick’s wife, Pen, and his brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Scott and Gayla:

On the boat tour, Mick pointed out the damage from the 2010 earthquake. Because of the high water table, the soil “liquefied” so damage was widespread. The quake damage to this home has yet to be repaired. Mick said that his own home shifted twelve inches and his deck shifted eighteen inches during the quake:

We watched the sunset from the deck as Mick prepared our dinner:

After dinner, we sat around a campfire and waited for Chris (CG) and Marco (TJMarco) to arrive from Tijuana. They arrived shortly before midnight, and everyone retired for the night.

(continued)

[Edited on 4-3-2013 by russchung]
russchung

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 03:13 PM

At sunrise on Saturday morning the sky was overcast but it cleared by mid-morning and remained sunny the rest of the weekend.

The plan was to head west from Rio Hardy, cross the Sierra El Mayor and Laguna Salada, stop for lunch near Cohabuzo Junction, head south along Arroyo Enmedio to intercept the Baja Pole Line Road, then follow the Pole Line Road eastward to MEX-5. This was the route pioneered by Neal Johns on the 2004 Pole Line Road run. Mick led the group through the Sierra El Mayor to Cohabuzo Junction. Mick’s Ford Ranger is in the lead, followed by Scott’s Range Rover, Ken’s Jeep Wrangler, Chris’ Jeep Wrangler, and Marco’s Range Rover:

After lunch at Cohabuzo Junction, Ken took the lead and we headed south along Arroyo Enmedio to intercept the Pole Line Road. Ken is in the lead, followed by Chris’ Jeep Wrangler, Mick’s Ford Ranger, Scott’s Range Rover and Marco’s Range Rover:

We encountered some minor mechanical problems. Ken complained that his steering wheel was no longer centered, and we found that his alignment shop had not properly tightened the clamp on the drag link adjustment sleeve. Mick’s engine stalled twice. We determined that the problem was fuel system related, but we never found a definitive cause. His fuel pump was working, but there seemed to be a vapor lock on the suction side of the pump. After cooling down for a few minutes, his engine resumed running and it ran all day Sunday with no further problem.

We reached the Pole Line Road. In this picture, Chris’ Jeep Wrangler is followed by Mick’s Ford Ranger, Scott’s Range Rover and Marco’s Range Rover:

A beautiful view of Arroyo Enmedio from the Baja Pole Line Road:

More Pole Line Road pictures:

We set up camp on a dry wash in Cañon Enmedio. The canyon provided us shelter from the strong westerly wind that blew across the exposed ridgelines.

(continued)
russchung

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 03:15 PM

Easter Sunday dawned sunny and clear.

Our departure from camp was delayed briefly while Ken investigated the source of a knocking noise from his suspension. He discovered a broken bolt on a rear upper shock mount. He was unable to replace the broken bolt so he removed the shock absorber and we were on our way:

I remarked that I had not yet seen a single telegraph pole since we reached the Pole Line Road. When we arrived at the base of Basketball Hill, Ken made sure that I saw the remnants of some poles:

I had expected to find a lot of basketball size rocks on Basketball Hill, but there were not many rocks on the trail:

Ken pointed out two more poles in Cowboy Canyon:

Sierra Las Pintas and MEX-5 in the distance:

After a stop for lunch near the mouth of Arroyo Grande, we left the Pole Line Road and followed a trail that led north to Ejedo José Saldaña and then to MEX-5:

Just before reaching the highway we aired up our tires and headed to Campo Mosqueda on the Rio Hardy for dinner:

After dinner at Campo Mosqueda, we returned to Mick and Penny’s casa on the Rio Hardy. While Mick took the others on a boat ride on the Rio Hardy, I stayed behind and washed the mud off my Jeep, then took a dip in the river to wash the dust and dirt off my body. Mick started a campfire, but everyone retired early. The next morning, we reluctantly said our goodbyes and headed home. Chris and Marco returned to Tijuana. Ken, Leidys and I crossed the border at Mexicali West. It took us just under an hour to cross the border. We traveled together to Cabazon, then Ken headed home to Riverside while I continued to Los Angeles. I had a wonderful time and thank Ken for organizing the trip and thank Mick and Penny for their hospitality.

[Edited on 4-2-2013 by russchung]

[Edited on 4-3-2013 by russchung]

If you don\'t like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 04:33 PM

Wow... stellar trip report Russ... and A+ on uploading the photos at no wider than 800 pixels! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

It is wild the effort we (The U.S.) put into homeland security back in 1942!

Ken and one of the poles in an earlier trip:

[Edited on 4-2-2013 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 07:06 PM

Great trip, could not have asked for better company. Thanks to all that went Penny and I had a great time. Look forward to doing it again sometime
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 10:29 PM

Today, I spent some time with a local fabricator removing my light bar (w/4 Hella F55 lights). The light bar completely split open, leaving me no option but to remove it. My Fabricator applied some anti-seize to the broken shock bolt (also bent) which will be removed on Thursday afternoon. My steering is still steering me straight, but no more visits to that tire shop that nearly had me killed. :!:

Thanks again, Mick and Penny - Leidys is telling everyone she knows about Rio Hardy and the great place you and your family have there.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 09:13 AM

Great trip report. Looks and sounds like fun all all. Love the pictures, thanks.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 10:30 AM

Great report, great photos.

How does one get past this section?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 10:43 AM

In a motorhome, how else?

:lol:

[Edited on 4-3-2013 by David K]

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
In a motorhome, how else?

:lol:

[Edited on 4-3-2013 by David K]

Absolutely not this one!

[Edited on 4-3-2013 by edm1]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 07:15 PM
Our MoreFM moment

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 07:26 PM

Wow. I'm very jealous. What a great report and epic trip you guys did. I recognized the last mountain range from the San Felipe 250 trip I did recently. The More FM video was the bomb Ken. Tell Leidys nice work.

Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 09:06 PM

Are there any trails that actually require 4 wheel drive around San Felipe???
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 09:34 PM

Nice....I've always wondered about Rio Hardy area. Looks like a great area.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby
Are there any trails that actually require 4 wheel drive around San Felipe???

If any of us did not have 4WD while crossing the Laguna Salada river, we might still be walking home across the El Mayor Mountains.:light:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 09:31 AM

Looking forward to your photos Ken... CG, if you have any as well!

russchung

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 10:51 PM
GPS Track

This is the GPS track from the Pole Line Road run. The Red Line is Saturday's track starting from Cohabuzo Junction to Saturday night's campsite. The Blue Line is Sunday's track.

If you don\'t like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.