BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Debit Card Fraud at Mexican Gas Stations
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 10:33 AM
Debit Card Fraud at Mexican Gas Stations

I was in the US and I got a call from my debit card company asking me if I made a purchase at Target in Chula Vista, CA (the Eastlake Target) for $233. I was shocked because I normally don't go to Target, and no I didn't make a purchase there. Normally, I get very upset at these calls when the Bank wants to verify purchases, but this time I was very grateful.

I did some investigation, and I spoke to the Eastlake Target. The Security Department told me not only did the person run the card at about 11:15 at night, but they tried to run it the next day. Because of the time of night, they were able to narrow down the purchaser on video, and told me that the store normally closes at 11 PM, but purchases can run over that time. Fortunately there weren't funds available for the second attempted purchase. They do have the suspect on video and I should get my money back after a 10 day dispute investigation.

How does this happen? The Security department at Target stated that typically gas stations have a credit card "skimmer" which takes the electronic information on the magnetic strip and then can be downloaded into a computer then put on generic magnetic strip cards that can be bought anywhere. The person even signed my name!!

NO more paying at Mexican gas stations with my card anymore, pure efectivo for my gas. You never think this can happen to you but it can. As a sidenote, I buy all my gas in Ensenada, and I hardly ever use my card in the US to buy gas.

[Edited on 4-23-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

[Edited on 4-23-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 11:55 AM

Sounds like this is the newest scam. DTutko's post was similar, too. I just got bit earlier this month at a ATM Cajero at the new gas station in Guerrero Negro; outside the store. No dinero dispensed but it was withdrawn from my bank account! Fraud dep't is investigating at my bank. I know it has been talked about but only use Bank ATMs. Good luck all!:mad::cool: Tio
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Sounds like this is the newest scam. DTutko's post was similar, too. I just got bit earlier this month at a ATM Cajero at the new gas station in Guerrero Negro; outside the store. No dinero dispensed but it was withdrawn from my bank account! Fraud dep't is investigating at my bank. I know it has been talked about but only use Bank ATMs. Good luck all!:mad::cool: Tio

This has happened to me three or four times in the local grocery store ATMs....clickity clickity clickity....and nothing, and I've had no problem being reimbursed by my bank.....always immediate pending investigation.
Chase is my bank.[jes sayin'....not advertising]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 12:13 PM

Quote:

This is a very ld scam that has been happening in the US for quiet a while! There are precautions that are posted by your card provider that you should look for. The readers in Mexico are no different than the readers in the US.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 12:33 PM

It happened to us at the gas station in Jamul a few years ago.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco

That's because it's owned by Iranians. :lol:

[Chaldeans...to be exact. And, I'm jes kiddin'. They're nice folks there]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Just don't let them take your credit card in the back room.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

This is a very ld scam that has been happening in the US for quiet a while!

In my cases, as well as Tio's, they seem to be more malfunction than scam.....perhaps a symptom of the typical maintenance in Mexico.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 12:51 PM

Quote:

Just don't let them take your credit card in the back room.

Or touch it with your bare hands when they return it. :o
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 02:37 PM

Or worse yet, use your card in a BanComer cajero automatico. The scam is "legit" and you get socked SEVEN DOLLARS US per withdrawal. Just by Blanko Commercial. Add that to your bank's viggorish and then add the Mexican government's IVA. Added insult, games playing with the tipo de cambio.

If a Mexican bank should make a mistake and give me too much change, would I say something?

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa......................

I'm chicken. Cash only from cajeros automaticos clamped tight to a bank branch....

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 04:55 PM

Not isolated to Mexico - this happened to me in N. Ca. They went on a shopping spree that got halted at a Walmart when they tried to buy an $1800 TV. All in all they got about $1500 in goods and cash, but my bank credited me back immediately.

Not long after they all (there was a group of them working together) got arrested and eventually sent to jail.

These thieves attach a scanner to the normal slot where you slide your card, capture your card number and your passcode, and Bingo!
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 05:26 PM

My card # was stolen in Catalina Island by a Latina woman and they charged $7500 in a Zales jewlery store in Tustin Ca, I only use cash now in Catalina

[Edited on 4-25-2013 by 805gregg]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-23-2013 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
My card # was stolen in Catalina Island by a Latino woman and they charged $7500 in a Zales jewlery store in Tustin Ca, I only use cash now in Catalina

crikey! i quit using atm for retail transactions many, many years ago. with ccs giving you cash back for purchases, dont know why anyone use an atm for anything but a deposit or withdrawal transaction at a cash machine.

debit cards are at higher risk of theft, and it is harder to dispute transactions with bank.

why do any of you use debit card for store transactions? yikes! foolish!

cash or credit, or no sale to me!

p.s. what does ethnicity of thief matter?

[Edited on 4-24-2013 by mtgoat666]
baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 09:06 PM

Banamex USA has a service that is a checking account and has a cash card that is available only at their ATM's. Seeing that it isn't using VISA they don't have the charges exacted by VISA. Also you get the bank rate for exchange that is a more competitive exchange rate.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 09:12 PM

I was interested in Banamex USA, I will have to go in there and check it out.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

What a burro remark:lol:

I'm jes kiddin'....more like an ignorant one.....:light:

castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 4-30-2013 at 09:29 PM

Thats why I stick to cash in Mex, now they have a device that if you walk by them within 5-10 feet they can read your card and steal the data to be used later------cash,cash,cash!

Live Indubiously!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 07:39 AM

I am not sure, but I think such a reader theft works on the credit/debit cards that use the RFID system. Several banks in the US as well as Mexico have switched to that system.

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
Thats why I stick to cash in Mex, now they have a device that if you walk by them within 5-10 feet they can read your card and steal the data to be used later------cash,cash,cash!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 08:07 AM

Go cash! the only safe way
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 08:29 AM

Here's a credit card skimmer that was pulled out of a dispenser at a station I was doing an inspection at. It's the long gray wire with black end that attaches to the back of the car reader.

[Edited on 5-1-2013 by Ateo]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.