BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Debit Card Fraud at Mexican Gas Stations
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 11:03 AM

The ribbon cable? Oh dumb me, how do the nice people retrieve the credit card data?

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kgryfon
Not isolated to Mexico - this happened to me in N. Ca. They went on a shopping spree that got halted at a Walmart when they tried to buy an $1800 TV. All in all they got about $1500 in goods and cash, but my bank credited me back immediately.

Not long after they all (there was a group of them working together) got arrested and eventually sent to jail.

These thieves attach a scanner to the normal slot where you slide your card, capture your card number and your passcode, and Bingo!

Also not Baja except it all started when my wife ordered some prescription drugs over the internet from down here. Apparently the Canadian Drug company sold or otherwise allowed credit card info to go to a third party. That person, or persons, then used it to max out my card buying merchandise in the UK, hotels in Finland and Norway and airline ticket all over the place including Dubai and United Arab Emirates. Total $7500 before maxed out. Visa fraud division credited back all charges to my account except for international exchange fees that they claimed was out of their control but 3 months later they finally credited back those charges too.

Bob Durrell
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 11:18 AM

How do they get in there to begin with and substitute for the legit ATM?
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 12:36 PM

I'll make this slower

HOW

DO

THEY

RETRIEVE

THE

DATA

FROM

THE

MACHINE?

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 09:36 PM

They come back at a later and collect their equipment, which has recorded all the information. That's usually when they get caught (if they get caught).
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 09:39 PM

They open the dispenser with a ^^^^^ (edited) key.

[Edited on 5-4-2013 by Ateo]

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 09:40 PM

...and they don't substitute the whole ATM, they just add a piece to the place where you slide your card. Stick it right over the top of the existing reader.

Here's a link:
http://consumerist.com/2009/04/19/heres-what-a-card-skimmer-...
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I'll make this slower

HOW

DO

THEY

RETRIEVE

THE

DATA

FROM

THE

MACHINE?

Wirelessly if they're sophisticated or by retrieving the device by opening the pump.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2013 at 09:46 PM

This is not rocket science. If a thief wants to open the pump, they can open the pump. It's easier than opening your car door, times a thousand.

Having said this, there's not a whole lot you can do so just buy gas and check your statements.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 04:03 AM

It's not rocket science for someone like you that is authorized to open the machine. But if they see you opening it and you don't have authorization...it would pose a huge problem.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Quote:
I'll make this slower

HOW

DO

THEY

RETRIEVE

THE

DATA

FROM

THE

MACHINE?

Wirelessly if they're sophisticated or by retrieving the device by opening the pump.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 06:55 AM

we just transfered all our accounts from wells fargo to mission federal credit union. we got the new cards in the mail and started making purchases. suddenly i'm getting calls from the fraud division saying there are purchases in AZ an CA at the same time!!! i asked them if it has ever happened, in their professional opinion, that one person might be working or traveling in another state while the spouse was at home? they were insistent that i need to inform them a week before making a purchase outside of CA!!! WTF? now i gotta ask permission to spend my own money? :fire:

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 08:19 AM

Sorry if I sounded like a jerk in the above statement. I think most of these thieves come in at night and open a pump that is hard to see from the cashiers vantage point. So I guess one could only pump on a dispenser that is clearly visible to reduce ones rish of getting their info stolen.
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
It's not rocket science for someone like you that is authorized to open the machine. But if they see you opening it and you don't have authorization...it would pose a huge problem.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Quote:
I'll make this slower

HOW

DO

THEY

RETRIEVE

THE

DATA

FROM

THE

MACHINE?

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 08:58 AM

I can understand a gas pump but how about bank ATM machines? The only ones I use to extract cash. When I pay my monthly bill at the grocery store here, the cashier takes my card, swipes it, flips it over reads then enters the 3-digit code on the reverse. This is a matter of TRUST. Now let's see, of all the businesses in Mexico you can think of WHICH ONES seems to have had HISTORICALLY an extremely low level of security and trust...?

And I am going to use a vulnerable financial access key there...?

Jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 09:03 AM
I don't get it

With so many bank ATM machines that one can withdraw peso's from, other than emergencies, why does one use any plastic in Mexico or most any other country other than your home country? I understand that fraud can and will happen anywhere but it is much easier to fix at home.

IMO, your just looking for trouble that can be avoided.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 08:19 PM
Good News!!

Got a pleasant surprise today when my newly issued debit card had the full refund of the amount stolen on my account, plus a credited Western Union Fee of $15 dollars American they initially charged me when they wired the left over amount still on my card to me after cancelling the card. This occurred before the 10 business days they told me I had to wait.

Thank you Bank of America!! No more debit card transactions anywhere if I can help it!!
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 11:51 PM

I'm not sure anyone looked at the link I posted. They do not need to open the machine. They place a skimmer on top of the reader that is already there. It looks very innocent - like part of the original equipment.

http://consumerist.com/2009/04/19/heres-what-a-card-skimmer-...

Also, Woody, they were trying to do you a favor. You are a new customer. Usually people aren't in two places at one time making purchases. It's a red flag for fraud so they called you to double check that it was legitimate. If it hadn't been, wouldn't you have bee glad that they alerted you? I know this can be a pain - I've been on vacation and had my card frozen because of unusual purchases out of my normal area. Once they get a feel for what are "normal" transactions for you and your wife they won't flag it as a potential fraud alert anymore. Not saying the person at the other end of the phone couldn't have been more helpful/polite! The first time this happened to me I had to instruct the person on the other end of the line what was going on - they were clueless. I work in a bank which is why I knew. I had to go to the dept manager to get the freeze take off because the clerk had no idea what I was talking about. Anyway, once your new bank gets a profile on what is normal for you, you shouldn't have a problem anymore. If you do, talk to the manager.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 11:54 PM

Oh, what was even better was that they were calling my home phone...um, I was on vacation and not there to answer my home phone... Anyway, I do call and alert them when I go out if the states now so I don't get frozen again.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-5-2013 at 09:50 AM

i know they are trying to help but "i must call a week prior to using my card out of state" just seems ludicrous.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 04:01 PM

So Monday and Tuesday (July 28th and 29th) I bought gas at the La Salina gas station and paid with a debit card. I came back to the USA on Wed., the 30th.. Thurs. (yesterday) I checked my account on line and see a charge from In and Out Burger, Chula Vista for $15 dated on the 29th.. Then I see another charge, this one for $390 at Safeway in Chula Vista also on the 29th. I cancelled the card and got credited for the amount of the 2 charges. I figure they tested the card by buying burgers, then went on a Safeway binge for food and booze. And didn`t use the card on the 30th because they were hungover!!
Anyway I made the mistake of handing my card and ID to the attendant. I thought it took 10 minutes to copy a card, my card was out of sight for about 4 or 5 minutes. Soooooooooooo.............. watch your cards folks!!
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 10:00 AM

This is exactly the sort of crap the new chip cards will help prevent. There's a new chip coming on all of your credit and debit cards in the next year or so. You won't swipe the magnetic strip (though it'll still have one), you just insert the card, chip up, into the reader. The chips are very, very hard to crack--they've been in use in Europe for almost 20 years.

Of course, the best is chip and PIN, because then they have to be right there and you have to put in a PIN, so they can't disappear with the card anyway... but no, the U.S. has decided to go to chip and sign.

Right now, if there's fraud on a card, the bank is liable for it.

In October 2015, there's going to be a liability shift, spurred by Visa and Interbank (Mastercard). If fraud occurs on a credit card, who has to "eat" it will be determined by who has less advanced technology. If your card has a chip and the reader doesn't accept chips (or the chip wasn't used), the merchant has to cover the fraud. If the card isn't chipped but the reader is capable of reading chips, the bank still has to cover it. And if both the card and the reader can deal with chips, the bank will still cover it.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.