BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: 1975 Senterfitt Baja Map (for Airplanes, Cars, Boats)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 07:22 PM

The San Lucas Cove strip is military now... and the south end is visible from Hwy. 1, which was built to bend around it. There are more Senterfitt maps... one was HUGE with fantastic topo detail.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 07:51 PM

Yeah that stupid road ruined everything.:fire:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 07:56 PM

When you say San Lucas Cove is that the big paved runway. I think I remember it as San Bruno.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 08:06 PM

Can anyone take a guess as to why there were so many runways back in the day.
Every little Rancho or mine or fishing spot had their own runway?
Still seems like flying is better than driving.

[Edited on 11-23-2016 by fishbuck]

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 08:48 PM

It was the same in the states.
When I was young lots of the small ranches and farms had landing strips if they were outside the city limits.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 08:50 PM

San Lucas Cove is still there on the WAC chart. It looks dubious on Google Maps, though. I've never seen anyone land or take off from there. But, that doesn't mean much.

The long paved runway near San Bruno is now called Palo Verde (or Chivato Bay) and has been closed for some time because of hurricane damage. Maybe it was Odile? In Senterfitt's 17th edition it's called San Bruno.

[Edited on 11-23-2016 by BigBearRider]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 09:08 PM

My 1st now closed runway was Palma de Cortez. Very cool.
But a long ride from the border. Close to 7 hours in Cherokee 6.
100 knots to margaritas on the beach in 60 seconds.
Can't think of any place like that anymore.
Anybody?

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 09:12 PM

Is there a difinitive book on the history of aviation in baja? I, mean yeah Arnolds books are cool but they don't really tell the story.
Like who was the 1st person to fly to baja?

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
My 1st now closed runway was Palma de Cortez. Very cool.
But a long ride from the border. Close to 7 hours in Cherokee 6.
100 knots to margaritas on the beach in 60 seconds.
Can't think of any place like that anymore.
Anybody?

Found it in Senterfitt's on page 211, just south of Punta Pescadero.

All long before my time.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 09:16 PM

Bad roads and long distances required air transport for products and people. Many runways were made at gold mines in the 30s. The U.S. built runways in 1942 for the defense of California against Japan. The lobster camps were next to get runways followed by fishing resorts. In the early 70s, Mexico built runways along Hwy. 1 so engineers and paymasters could get to construction camps quickly.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 09:45 PM

How did you get this info?

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 10:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Baja once had over 100 airports!

In the opening post you said Baja had over 200 airports, now 3 years later it is over a 100....

guess those two statements do not contradict themselves....

:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 10:38 PM

200 is more than 100, isn't it? :)

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 10:43 PM

I counted only 35 or 36 in Baja Sur on the Current WAC chart.

29 around Mexicali and San Luis Colorado alone.

I suspect there may still be more than 100 airports in Baja.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 11:01 PM

200 is more than 100, isn't it? :)

Yep...and I TOTALLY meant it as a joke too!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 10:39 AM

I counted the airports on the current LA Sectional chart and the current CH-22 WAC chart, and it is about 100, give or take a few, in all of Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 11:49 AM

Arnold's map gives each airport a number and that was the page in his book for that runway. The map numbers would change with new book editions. For example, Punta San Carlos (now the Solosports Resort runway) was a new addition in 1972, 106A. On the opposite side was another new runway, Guayaquil 106B. That two-sided page was added between 106 (El Marmol) and 107 Rancho Santa Ynez. This was my 1972 edition with the update pages. I received a 1974 set of updated pages and more in 1977. That was it. I wrote to Arnold, and I have his reply... he was very nice and helpful.

In 1987, I got the 17th edition of Senterfitt's Airports of Baja California. It was published in Vista, CA and may be the last one before Arnold sold out to Jack McCormick?

In the 17th edition, Punta San Carlos is airport #150. for example... the first airport is #116 (Tijuana) and the last Baja airport is #266 (Mexicali). Arnold went down one side of Baja and back up the other with the way he listed them. Not each page was an airport, so between 100-150 airports in this edition. Also, there were airports in northwestern Mexico's mainland illustrated... after Mexicali.

[Edited on 6-10-2018 by David K]

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 12:00 PM

Arnold's map gives each airport a number and that was the page in his book for that runway. The map numbers would change with new book editions. For example, Punta San Carlos (now the Solosports Resort runway) was a new addition in 1972, 106A. On the opposite side was another new runway, Guayaquil 106B. That two-sided page was added between 106 (El Mármol) and 107 Rancho Santa Ynez. This was my 1972 edition with the update pages. I received a 1974 set of updated pages and more in 1977. That was it. I wrote to Arnold, and I have his reply... he was very nice and helpful.

In 1987, I got the 17th edition of Senterfitt's Airports of Baja California. It was published in Vista, CA and may be the last one before Arnold sold out to Jack McCormick?

In the 17th edition, Punta San Carlos is airport #150. for example... the first airport is #116 (Tijuana) and the last Baja airport is #266 (Mexicali). Arnold went down one side of Baja and back up the other with the way he listed them. Not each page was an airport, so between 100-150 airports in this edition. Also, there were airports in northwestern Mexico's mainland illustrated... after Mexicali.

[Edited on 11-23-2016 by David K]

I understand what you are saying about the airport numbers on the 1975 map and the book corresponding.

Was there a map to accompany the 17th edition book? Do you have it?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 12:46 PM

I also have the '67, '70, '72 (4th edition), and super size 1975 (11th edition) maps. Not sure why Arnold went back to the smaller scale for the 12th edition (map shown above) other than easier to read in the c-ckpit?

[Edited on 11-23-2016 by David K]

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 12:51 PM

David does it have an aerial of the strip at Pta San Francisquito?
Used to fly in there on my friends 205
would bring back a bunch of good memories
Alan from San Diego
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.