Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  9
Author: Subject: BUMMER AT BAJA CACTUS!
Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 07:16 PM
BUMMER AT BAJA CACTUS!

We are regular customers of Baja Cactus and have been for over a decade! We stay there about 10 times a year. As usual, we made our reservation by phone a day and a half before our arrival for the room we always stay in. Patty took the call. We told her we would be arriving late—at 8 PM—since we were driving from Carpinteria and it was a 12-13 hour drive. We also told her we had our Baja Nomad card with us. She said no problem, she would hold the room.

We got to Baja Cactus just before 8:00 PM, in time to see Carmen—on duty—hand over the key to our reserved room to some man who drove in with no reservation off the highway right in front of us! When I tried to explain that we had reserved the room, Carmen launched into a castigating diatribe at me in Spanish and she wouldn't stop blaming us for arriving late. I asked her politely to please stop talking "at us" and stop lecturing us, but she interrupted and simply kept going on and on. She then handed me a piece of paper with bank account numbers for Wells Fargo and said we had to make a deposit in the US bank prior to our arrival. Otherwise rooms were given away at 7 PM! She proceeded to give us Room #9 in the old part next to the highway; she held my drivers license for the room key and TV remote. Then she charged the room on our credit card, announcing she "forgot" to give us the Baja Nomad discount. The room was a filthy seedy room with broken towel bar and toilet paper holder, randomly patched linoleum floor, filthy walls and grimy floor. What a disappointment!
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 07:26 PM

Next time try Baja Jardines. Great place!
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 07:40 PM

Baja's Best in El Rosario is great and reasonable prices.

Ed makes a good margarita. Restaurant is great - love the hamburger, pancakes and white sea bass veracruzana

No worries
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
Next time try Baja Jardines. Great place!

X2:cool:

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 07:52 PM

It seems, with all the recent complaints, that Antonio just doesn't care. He certainly has no respect for the power of shared information that BajaNomad affords its participants. It's kinda like having him sit in front of us saying, "So what?"
After all I've read here, I wouldn't stay in his motel.....even if it was free.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 07:55 PM

Where's DK? 5, 4, 3, 2, 1........

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 07:59 PM

it ain't a perfect world. why didn't you go somewhere else BEFORE sleeping there if it REALLY was that bad.....

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 08:03 PM

I stayed there a few weeks ago, made a reservation, said I would be there by 7:30 or 8. Whomever I was talking to said they would only keep my reservation till 7pm. I had already given her my name and told her I was a Nomad and that I was driving all the way from Buena Vista and was a regular customer. She said "yes, I recognize your name senor David but your reservation will only be good till 7.

I made it there by 7 and was pretty tired but had to stand there while the receptionist shot the breeze with a friend of hers. When she finally said goodbye to her friend I leaned in to speak and she held up her finger in a "hold it right there" pose, picked up her cell phone, called someone and talked for a few minutes in what sounded to me like a social conversation. If I had had an ounce of strength left I would have driven on.

The last time I stayed there I had to take one of the "old" rooms because I had my dog and all of the dog friendly rooms in the new part were taken. The dog wanted to get back in the truck. I've been traveling Baja for 25 years so I'm used to some rustic accommodations and I generally don't mind but when a room is a pigsty and it would only take a little effort to make it better that is a different story. I would stay at the Motel Linda in Catavina before I would stay in one of the old rooms again.

Sorry for the rant, I think my "grumpy old man syndrome" is acting up....."Hey you kids, get off my lawn!!!"

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 08:23 PM

I had the same "late arrival" problem the last time I stayed there. Jardines or Hotel Santa Maria have both given me better service.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I had the same "late arrival" problem the last time I stayed there. Jardines or Hotel Santa Maria have both given me better service.

i have had late arrival problems at hotels,... helps to call from the road around 5 or 6 PM and tell them you are still enroute and expecting to arrive late,..
you got to realize that many people "no show" and the inn keeper needs to make a buck... it's the thoughtless "no shows" that ruin it for everyone else.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

i have had late arrival problems at hotels,... helps to call from the road around 5 or 6 PM and tell them you are still enroute and expecting to arrive late,..
you got to realize that many people "no show" and the inn keeper needs to make a buck... it's the thoughtless "no shows" that ruin it for everyone else.

I did. The demanded a credit card or they would give the room away. I stayed else where.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 09:43 PM

Jardines.------------- Excellent.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 10:53 PM

Similar experience....Curt63 and I (and others with us) had reservations and advised that we would be late. The lady on the other end of the line said no problem. We arrived after 7 slightly and our rooms were gone. The lady at the desk said I should have given a credit card # over the phone...I was never asked for one originally.

We ended up staying at Baja's Best and it was great!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
güero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 10:56 PM

I have also had a few problems at the Cactus. Where is the Jardines?

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by güero]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
Similar experience....Curt63 and I (and others with us) had reservations and advised that we would be late. The lady on the other end of the line said no problem. We arrived after 7 slightly and our rooms were gone. The lady at the desk said I should have given a credit card # over the phone...I was never asked for one originally.

We ended up staying at Baja's Best and it was great!

I specifically asked if I could give a credit card number or my first born son and she said NO, be here before 7 or sleep in your truck......Well, ok, she didn't say the last part just NO!

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 05:36 AM

Looks like it's time to give the other hotels a chance :bounce: Baja Cactus has been good for us in the past . But have also noticed that the love is not there anymore . They have had the corner on the market for to long .

Phone calls while customer is waiting is a big no no . :no::no: Very Rude
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 06:39 AM

we're done with them too; the no no list is long and getting longer.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 07:00 AM

Requiring your driver's license as a deposit would be the deal killer for me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Requiring your driver's license as a deposit would be the deal killer for me.

I'm surprised they don't want a passport.

My hope for now is we don't see a regular here crying the blues about this place three months from now.

Hey....remember around ten or twenty years back when some brain dead DF statesman commented in public that Israel was Zionist?
The word immediately flooded the Jewish communities through the synagogues, as well as word of mouth, to give tourism in Mexico a wake-up call...which they did. They quit going there.
In a few months, a representative of DF was on his knees placing flowers in front of a shrine in Tel Aviv recanting the statement.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE :biggrin: :light:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 07:33 AM

I just refused to give her the drivers licence.....

Pages:  1    3  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.