Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9
Author: Subject: BUMMER AT BAJA CACTUS!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 07:39 AM

Link to Jardines

Often need reservations now --- and they hold the room. Some dog friendly rooms and some not dog friendly rooms. Great place, good restaurant that is closed on Mondays. Friendly owners and staff. AND the most beautiful gardens --- BEAUTIFUL

Link to Hotel Mission Santa Maria (former La Pinta)

Very friendly and helpful staff, very professional, good restaurant and right on the beach --- good place with rooms with good views and quiet.

Both of these are located at the south end of the San Quintin Valley, so they are not far from El Rosario.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 07:43 AM

I've have stayed Mama's and found it OK as well. The rooms were clean and fine for one night. I my or may not eat there but I would stay there again.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 07:45 AM

There is a fairly new motel just down the road, across from Baja Best. Forgot the name but reasonable, clean and good beds. Had to be insistant on having our cat there, but ended up with the end room and $8.00 for the kitten.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 07:50 AM
La Tourista Motel

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
There is a fairly new motel just down the road, across from Baja Best. Forgot the name but reasonable, clean and good beds. Had to be insistant on having our cat there, but ended up with the end room and $8.00 for the kitten.

Very nice place.
They've been in operation about 4 years and expanding.
Do they have a restaurant yet?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Requiring your driver's license as a deposit would be the deal killer for me.

I'm surprised they don't want a passport.

My hope for now is we don't see a regular here crying the blues about this place three months from now.

Hey....remember around ten or twenty years back when some brain dead DF statesman commented in public that Israel was Zionist?
The word immediately flooded the Jewish communities through the synagogues, as well as word of mouth, to give tourism in Mexico a wake-up call...which they did. They quit going there.
In a few months, a representative of DF was on his knees placing flowers in front of a shrine in Tel Aviv recanting the statement.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE :biggrin: :light:

Oh they do take passports. I remember when poor Cap't George (left NOMADS a long time ago) forgot and left his there!:lol:

Wonder where their representative is? Usually pretty prolific in their defense when things get thorny.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 08:13 AM

Sounds like Antonio needs to take a more hands on approach to his business interests and spend more time in El Rosario dealing with maintenance and personnel issues.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 08:13 AM

Why would anyone bust their a$$ to get to El Rosario?? People! you are in baja...stay at the freekin' beach (Hotel Santa Maria or anywhere ON THE BEACH) where adventures just happen. Isn't that why we go there?
Try having a bonfire. Jeez!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 08:27 AM

The policy Baja Cactus is enforcing is standard practice in every motel in the US. You can make a reservation but it's only held until a certain hour, usually 6PM, unless guaranteed with a credit card. After that you have lost your room unless the motel does not fill up.

The 'friendlier' motels simply do not fill up and therefore seem more accomodating. If and when they reach Baja Cactus' popularity they will enforce the same rules.

The rudeness and the poor quality is a different matter. Yes, those less expensive rooms are substandard and should probably be avoided. On the other hand your judgement can become more severe after you didn't get the room you really wanted. The same goes for the attendant. There can be rudeness on both sides during such an exchange of words.

The obvious solution was to have reserved the room with a credit card to start out with. Why wasn't that done?

It's really a game of risk. You don't use your credit card because you're not sure about how the journey will go and whether you may have to stay somewhere else. Baja Cactus doesn't want to hold the room because you may not show up and they're out $40. There's no need to get upset over it. Just accept it or frequent motels that never fill up.

My dos centavos.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I just refused to give her the drivers licence.....

It's for special moments, such as this, that you make extra licenses with your printer. Extra everything.
Copy both sides........cut them out and glue the two sides together.
Buy a 20 dollar laminator from Amazon and seal the license in plastic. Good to go.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Wonder where their representative is? Usually pretty prolific in their defense when things get thorny.

Probably trying to round up Antonio to take the stand in his own defense. That's the way it usually works.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Where's DK? 5, 4, 3, 2, 1........

He's gathering his pictures of the rooms.

We could all help by providing links to past threads where they are.

:lol::lol::lol:
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 08:50 AM

I also vote for Jardines; great setting, awesome restaurant next door and friendly service with clean rooms. The best part about El Rosario for me is once it's in my rear view mirror; have never understood why anyone would spend time there, but that's just me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Baja Cactus doesn't want to hold the room because you may not show up and they're out $40. There's no need to get upset over it. Just accept it or frequent motels that never fill up.

If a reservation is made, or an attempt to make one, past the hour of no return, 7-PM, that should be accommodated and not refused due to some rigid regulation that leaves no room for a clerk to comply. It's just bad business.
If travelling Nomads want this impersonal rudeness to stop, it's in their hands to pressure a change, but, as in other things down here, Americans have short memories and I'm betting this issue of the same ol' thing will die a quick death and resurface in sixty days or so.
Our group resolve has a reputation for being toothless, and that's why Antonio hasn't responded favorably to past uprisings on this board. He knows he's serving up a plate of crap, but, "They're Americans. They eat crap."

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by DENNIS]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 08:56 AM

The obvious solution was to have reserved the room with a credit card to start out with. Why wasn't that done?

I tried to do that and was told that they didn't take credit card deposits. Others posting here mentioned giving them a credit card number to hold a room, it would be interesting to find out what the real policy is.
What I find interesting about the old section is that I assume that the same people that clean and maintain the new part do the old part as well but it looks more like a separate entity.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
What I find interesting about the old section is that I assume that the same people that clean and maintain the new part do the old part as well but it looks more like a separate entity.

Sounds as though they have more than one "class" of clientele.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Our group resolve has a reputation for being toothless, and that's why Antonio hasn't responded favorably to past uprisings on this board. He knows he's serving up a plate of crap, but, "They're Americans. They eat crap."

[Edited on 5-9-2013 by DENNIS]

I'll do my part, I'm through with Baja Cactus. I haven't gassed up at the El Rosario Pemex since the disgraceful 2 year bathroom remodel and I won't stay in the motel again.....hey, maybe Antonio is waiting for permission from Pemex before he can clean the rooms in the old section of the motel....:?::?:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Baja Cactus doesn't want to hold the room because you may not show up and they're out $40. There's no need to get upset over it. Just accept it or frequent motels that never fill up.

If a reservation is made, or an attempt to make one, past the hour of no return, 7-PM, that should be accommodated and not refused due to some rigid regulation that leaves no room for a clerk to comply. It's just bad business.

Sorry to disagree with you Dennis. The exact opposite is true. It's bad business to NOT have this 'rigid regulation'.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 09:09 AM

I'm all for a credit card reservation if needed, but how they could treat a long time and frequent customer like this??

Maybe a link to this thread should be posted on their Facebook page? If they're gonna give away your room they should tell you on the phone "be here by 7PM or else".

I guess better communication is needed.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 09:10 AM

Quote:

Sorry to disagree with you Dennis. The exact opposite is true. It's bad business to NOT have this 'rigid regulation'.

How do you figure, Igor? How can anything good be gleaned from an inflexible rule that causes this much consternation on the World Wide Web? We aren't talking about an airport Hilton here.
PCbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2013 at 09:16 AM

Its's amazing how many people still stay here, when there is so much better to choose from and not have to hand over any documentation as well IMO.
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.