David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PCbaja
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Strange that a place like El Rosario doesn't have a hub connection to that cable, but Punta Prieta does? Are you sure it isn't satellite Internet wifi you are getting or they are using? What other villages have a hub connection to that cable (Rosarito, Villa Jesus Maria, ...)? Thank you!

I stopped by the the little community store one day in Punta Prieta and the young girl was on facebook, so I needed to get online and asked if it was wifi and I would be willing to pay for 10 min. of use. She said it was not wifi but allowed me to use her computer and the connection was alot faster than satellite. I must say I felt a little disappointed to see facebook way out in the middle of nowhere.

"Nowhere" is getting harder to find!

Thank you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Quote:
Strange that a place like El Rosario doesn't have a hub connection to that cable, but Punta Prieta does? Are you sure it isn't satellite Internet wifi you are getting or they are using? What other villages have a hub connection to that cable (Rosarito, Villa Jesus Maria, ...)? Thank you!

I stopped by the the little community store one day in Punta Prieta and the young girl was on facebook, so I needed to get online and asked if it was wifi and I would be willing to pay for 10 min. of use. She said it was not wifi but allowed me to use her computer and the connection was alot faster than satellite. I must say I felt a little disappointed to see facebook way out in the middle of nowhere.

I know, isn't it horrible to see theses people enjoying some of the same services we take for granted.

uhhh...I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Nothing to do with people or services.

Just wondering why you would be "disappointed" that this young lady was using FACEBOOK. So yes, I missed your point, other than you were disappointed.
PCbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Very true indeed!

Don\'t be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.\" – Grace Hansen
PCbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know, isn't it horrible to see theses people enjoying some of the same services we take for granted.

uhhh...I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Nothing to do with people or services.

Just wondering why you would be "disappointed" that this young lady was using FACEBOOK. So yes, I missed your point, other than you were disappointed.

It was really about my disconnection in Baja. All my Mexican amigos practically live and communicate on facebook, so it was really no big surprise. BTW I really wasn't disappointed, just the wrong choice of word.

Don\'t be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.\" – Grace Hansen
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Why do you say that David? There is still a lot of "Nowhere" in Mexico and more specifically, Baja. You might have to travel through civilization to get there, but there is sure a lot to visit that is off the beaten track.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It was really about my disconnection in Baja. All my Mexican amigos practically live and communicate on facebook, so it was really no big surprise. BTW I really wasn't disappointed, just the wrong choice of word.

I see. Living, there I see what these services bring to the local folks and it is good... By the way, there is still more of "nothing" in Baja California than there is "civilization".
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 09:09 AM

It was a humorous reply to PCBaja's comment... I have no problem finding 'nowhere' in Baja... :light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
OP here again. Posting the Baja Cactus bank account numbers seems to be the information Baja Cactus wants out there, since they are freely handing out this information to customers at the front desk. Those are the numbers we were given; that is how we were told we had to reserve a room in advance—by making a deposit into one of those three accounts. Maybe someone here wants to use their system and make a deposit to reserve a room. That is the Baja Cactus business model of the moment.

I sure wouldn't deposit money like that. How do they even know what you need? Do you first call them and then make a bank transfer? Even PAYPAL would be better than that. Too many other options folks even with Jardines (one of my favorites) getting harder and harder to get into. My travel plans are always too flexible for a week in advance reservation.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 09:59 AM
El Rosario

El Rosario Used to be the Jumping off place if you were headed South and the Oasis when headed North, Not so much anymore with all the new construction going on and the Newer cars and trucks great improvement In fuel mileage and range It's became just another Wide Spot In The Road.to all but the old time Baja Diehards.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 10:09 AM

Quote:

I sure wouldn't deposit money like that. How do they even know what you need?

It's only as good as the "confirmation." Otherwise, there's an even chance you'll get one of those patented Mexican shoulder shrugs along with a "Quien Sabe" when you arrive to register.

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by DENNIS]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 10:30 AM

Quote:

Thank you!

Oh, I don't know about that. People would tell me "Hey, you're nowhere, man" all the time.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Disconnecting for me used to be the playas at TJ, then it was Rosarito, then just past Ensenada, then El Palomar, now I finally feel disconnected when I get to my first nites rest at Jardines, have a good meal and hit the road fresh in the AM. That, for me is where Baja starts now. :cool:

Couldn't have said it better myself.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 12:42 PM

I stayed at Jardines for the first time a couple nights ago and WOW...so very impressive...the most comfy bed EVER and their pillows were even better than the one I always travel with...although I was peeved that my car got all dirty just after I had it washed!!! but the great sleep was worth the dirty car...excellent service...good coffee in the morning...good internet...VERY quiet and insanely beautiful...which basically means I will be preferring it to our old standbye Baja Cactus.

Problem is after this thread...it will be even more full than it already is! Reservations are a good idea but one never knows what may happen on the road.

I can vouch for the problem of "no shows" as we often get burned by folks who dont send a deposit (paypal works very well for us). I certainly understand any hotel's policy of taking a credit card # or a deposit...but what is wrong here is the rudeness of the office person. It's hard to find good help and heck maybe she was having one of those days.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 12:48 PM

Shari,

Your car got some dust/dirt on it ??:O:O

My gawd, girl....so how did you handle that crisis? :biggrin:

I think a booking "no-show" policy makes good sense for all owners...

Next thread will be how Jardines is impossible to get a room at....:lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 01:19 PM

Beats the heck out of sleeping under a bridge.:D
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 01:55 PM

No response from Antonio? Did DTutko ever make contact re gas station double charge?? I personally hope Baja Cactus' problems are resolved so we have as many choices as possible. A friend just stayed at old favorite Cielito Lindo & mentioned upgrades in rooms and economical prices. Se la vie. Tio
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 02:15 PM
Shari - You Made Me Laugh Out Loud

I always travel with my pillow; if I don't have it with me, I can't sleep.

Nothing else feels right.

Hubby is resigned to my peculiarities.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 02:46 PM

Jan...this was a first for me that I chose hotel pillows over my own! And Ged...I washy car so rarely it was prett ironic it got dirty only a couple hours later and those pesky palm trees rained dirty drops all over it too...sheesh...I should complain to the management!!!har har

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 03:49 PM

Shari, we have already gone to Jardines once and found it booked solid. Bummer for us.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
No response from Antonio? Did DTutko ever make contact re gas station double charge?? I personally hope Baja Cactus' problems are resolved so we have as many choices as possible. A friend just stayed at old favorite Cielito Lindo & mentioned upgrades in rooms and economical prices. Se la vie. Tio

Yes, he posted it was resolved here... Antonio has not been on Nomad (posting) for a long time... Very sad, as he was a great Nomad... Maybe it is just too much drama here... many dobn't post here anymore, regularly... ?

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.