BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: The Chatarra Project: a plastic bottle waste awareness project.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I know this is Mexico and that everything is manana BUT, the fact that the gvt is even considering fixing the problem is huge. just huge.

The younger generation, those schooled in "Green" issues, are coming of age and bringing their more sophisticated world with them.
With the "information age" and better education, even some of us ol' timers may live long enough to see some change for the good, but they'd better hurry up. :lol:

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by DENNIS]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
The plastic bottle we are using are de-labeled, cleaned, then placed into 3 foot diameter nylon net laundry bags, those bags are sewn shut, then those bags are lined up inside cargo netting. The cargo nets are then sewn shut. It will be nearly impossible for us to lose the bottles.

In an effort to reduce our chances of foul weather, we have detailed charts of the coastline, a small outboard (for emergency only), couple good anchors, and a low profile. There has also only been 10 hurricanes in Baja during the month of July since 1949. And our intention is to peddle nearly non-stop, to reduce the time at sea.
You are not likely to encounter a hurricane but the possibility of high winds and seas can occur anytime of year, if the rest of your craft is as poorly designed and executed as the paddle wheel you posted photos of, I have serious doubts as to the chances of your success.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
You are not likely to encounter a hurricane but the possibility of high winds and seas can occur anytime of year,

Not only high, but instantaneous as well. One minute calm...the next, it's blowing your shirt off.
The gulf is no place to plan a learning process. The elements are unforgiving.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 11:30 AM

Wasn't there a guy several years ago who built a raft out of god-knows-what and was gonna sail to China?

How'd that work out?

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
your timing is spot on. someone told me that they heard on the radio that Mexico plans to implement trash reduction / solution techniques over the next 4 years.

Education is everything and what you are doing is to be commended! Have a safe trip.

You are do right, education is everything. Growing up I many of us had "Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute" and mom telling me, "don't litter it makes the world ugly". Those stuff with me.

I hope we have a chance to talk about both our projects and maybe we can get more people excited. We are adding a list of community cleanup efforts onto the new site we created: http://chatarra.bglclub.com

The Baja Good Life Club - http://www.bajagoodlifeclub.com
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Wasn't there a guy several years ago who built a raft out of god-knows-what and was gonna sail to China?

How'd that work out?

He broke down in Puertecitos, then rebuilt it and continued. I have heard he made it, but recently passed away.

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 01:29 PM

The Paddle wheel is extremely strong, the wood is sealed in marine epoxy, the the steal, well it's steal and secured in a housing, so no worries about that...Here is the frame:

We have lived on the edge of the Sea of Cortez for 10 years and both my wife Rachel and I are American Sailing Association certified for blue water. We can charter boats anywhere in the world, and although we will not be sailing, but the knowledge of the sea and seamanship, we do have.

Yah, we know it may look a bit on the rough, but it the "Junk" Project after. The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is attitude.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Here are a few images of the paddle wheel being constructed.

OK....I don't know what's on the plans, but it appears the wells between the paddles leave no space for the water to run through. They look like solid pockets.
Won't that be a lot of resistance from the forward side of the paddle wheel?
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 02:24 PM

The wheel has steel sidings and sits in a housing, it's strong and the water flows nicely. Fortunately we be completed with the design and construction two weeks before we launch, so we expect to fine tune.

Here are some other creative ideas:
Rafting Race

This is similar to what we want to do next year as part of a Baja Clean...is to have a raft race with all rafts built from recycled materials and floated on plastic bottles. So, start think of what you can recycle for your seaworthy raft.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 02:34 PM

july in Baja doesn't give brownie points for torturing yourselves in the heat. what's wrong with december?

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 02:46 PM

We run the our club during "the season" from Oct-Apr and only have the summer to do other activities such as this...that is why we walked the Baja in June and July last year. It gets hot sure, but some like it hot :fire:

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 07:25 PM

Get good life insurance, and lots of rescue/ditch gear, Spot, epirb, portable GPS and VHF the best life jackets you can buy and maybe survival suits, you will need it, the ocean doesn't care if you are trying to save the planet, all are treated equal, some unprepared, more equal than the prepared

[Edited on 5-13-2013 by 805gregg]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
We run the our club during "the season" from Oct-Apr and only have the summer to do other activities such as this...that is why we walked the Baja in June and July last year. It gets hot sure, but some like it hot :fire:

Like guys that leave San Diego to go work in Yuma :lol:

Bob Durrell
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 11:50 PM

Fernando Jordan and a friend sailed a leaky, ancient 20 foot open sail boat from La Paz to San Felipe during the summer back in the early 1950s. If you read Spanish, you might want to pick up a copy of the resulting book (Mar Roxo de Cortes. In addition to being a good read, it might provide some clues as to what you might expect.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 07:21 AM

Who's throwing all the plastic ? bottles filled with urine and thrown from a vehicles
".. it is easier to toss a bottle than to try and find a place to pull over a big rig. "

IT'S NOT NECESSARY TO THROW THE BOTTLE OUT THE WINDOW ONTO THE HIGHWAY. YOU CAN'T KEEP IT IN YOUR TRUCK OR CAR UNTIL YOU CAN DISPOSE OF IT? MEN. RILLY.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone

IT'S NOT NECESSARY TO THROW THE BOTTLE OUT THE WINDOW ONTO THE HIGHWAY. YOU CAN'T KEEP IT IN YOUR TRUCK OR CAR UNTIL YOU CAN DISPOSE OF IT? MEN. RILLY.

Yeah!! Rilly!!!................just don't get that pee bottle too close to the Pacifico bottle you're workin' on. You won't like it. :lol:

OK...let's have a show of hands....How many out there use a bottle to pee in when headin' down ONE?

Lesseeee......I count none.
I think this whole pee bottle idea is a bunch of nonsense.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 09:12 AM

I do sometimes but I always dispose of it properly.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
The wheel has steel sidings and sits in a housing, it's strong and the water flows nicely. Fortunately we be completed with the design and construction two weeks before we launch, so we expect to fine tune.

Here are some other creative ideas:
Rafting Race

This is similar to what we want to do next year as part of a Baja Clean...is to have a raft race with all rafts built from recycled materials and floated on plastic bottles. So, start think of what you can recycle for your seaworthy raft.
It appears to be that the materials you are using are unlikely to stand up to a marine environment.

[Edited on 5-13-2013 by monoloco]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Who's throwing all the plastic ? bottles filled with urine and thrown from a vehicles
/quote]

Well, I was going to suggest that it is only guys with a tiny one that will fit inside a Coke bottle....but DT chimed in and admits to at least filling the bottle (not sure what that implies :lol: ), and then disposing of it appropriately.

David, as someone asked, " How do ya do it when driving along #1? ".

Your confession leaves me in a quandry....point and squirt....in the vehicle or behind a cactus???

:biggrin:

[Edited on 5-13-2013 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 01:36 PM
been there, done that

Quote:
We're funding it ourselves, but of course any contributions are helpful, and that means in terms of plastic bottles, dinero, time or anything. We have many members helping and a local metal artist is welding the paddle wheel frame and each week we all get together and de-label and clean all the bottles. We have already collect almost half the needed bottles. Basically 2 pound of upward thrust for each liter bottle. The raft is almost 2000 pounds with crew and supplies. So, our goal is 1000 liters of plastic bottles.

As for the people throwing plastic; many people unfortunately. The biggest problem we have seen is plastic oil bottles and coke bottles thrown from fishing pangas and from truckers. The arroyos all up and down the Baja highway have plastic bottles in them, which wash into the sea ever storm. When we walked the Baja last year the one thing we saw more than anything else were 2 and 3 liter coke bottles filled with urine and thrown from a vehicles.

In 2010, environmentalist David de Rothschild sailed from San Francisco to Sydney, Australia—on a boat made from 12,500 plastic bottles and cashew-nut glue.

re driving and urinating in bottles,... i did that a few times when a teenager. teenagers will do any dumb thing. i recall learning that 12 oz bottles were insufficient volume, and no matter what you do you dribbble all over yourself :lol::lol::lol::lol: as an adult, have done that in small planes...

i know many women that wont get out of tent at night and so pee in containers.

[Edited on 5-13-2013 by mtgoat666]
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.