BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: The Chatarra Project: a plastic bottle waste awareness project.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Ignore the critics here...some of these folks have nothing better to do than tear other folks down...most of them could not find Mexico on a map!!
Push on you are an inspiration to lots of people....
And some of us have been around Baja long enough to have had to risk our own lives rescuing people who didn't respect the ocean enough to make sure their boats were seaworthy.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 06:28 PM

We don't need plastic awareness, we need dumb a$$ awareness, this qualifies
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Ignore the critics here...some of these folks have nothing better to do than tear other folks down...most of them could not find Mexico on a map!!
Push on you are an inspiration to lots of people.... [/quote

I've been going to Baja since 1957, over 100 times. how about you, I've been by car, jeep, motorcycle, boat, RV, truck and camper, truck towing boat, and air almost every single town, road and interesting place. I don't even need a map anymore. This is not an inspiration it's a travesty, Baja has done 1000 percent better than in the past to eleminate waste and litter and recycling is doing good. I'm also a boater , having fished Albacore on the west coast up to Washingtion, and delivered a boat from So Cal to Cabo, and delivered a boat across the Pacific Ocean from San Pedro to Nelson on the So island of New Zealand. This nothing more than a poor effort to gain self notoriety and will not promote anything, and at some point they will need rescueing, wasteing valuable time and resourses.

[Edited on 5-19-2013 by 805gregg]
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 10:54 PM

Yes, in the 30 years I've been coming down here I, too, notice that the people of Baja are improving their community trash management and are incorporating recycling when its available and feasible.

Young people are receiving education on ecology in the public school system.

I'm looking forward to seeing the faces of the children when they see The Chatarra Project paddle up the Mulege River and dock under the bridge at the foot of town. Two foreigners manning a paddlewheel barge. That is an image that will stay with them and stimulate their imaginations about repurposing our environmental disposables.

I wish MexicoLiving good luck. They're trying something amazing and worthwhile, imo. We'll help them as much as we can.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 5-19-2013 at 10:33 AM

Greg, I am not going to get into a urinating contest with you..no point. But just for info sake..I have been going to Mexico since the early 60's surfing, sailing, etc. I owned a home south of Mulege for 10 years, off the gird, and still have a house south of Rosarito. I have been all over Baja and various parts of the mainland..I drive, not fly in order to meet people and see the real Baja...ANYTHING people can do to raise awareness of plastic pollution and environmental damage is a good thing..Yes, things a getting better but continued education is one of the keys..If you don't like these folks just don't help them...enough folks will...me included...
By the way, I grew up in Ojai and graduated from Nordhoff!
[Edited on 5-19-2013 by Terry28]

[Edited on 5-19-2013 by Terry28]

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2013 at 11:55 AM

I am all for you. It is a little theatrical, but may increase awareness. I clean as 3-4 mile stretch of beach, and have found that most of the trash in the East Cape is coming from the local pescaderos, be they commercial or charter. Additionally the shrimpers dump more than their share and it winds up on the beach. After a chubasco of course it is carried down the arroyos and winds up on the beach. The kids are getting better about discarding trash, but for the most part...I don't think they even see it.

The harder I work, the luckier I get
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2013 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95
I am all for you. It is a little theatrical, but may increase awareness.

I'm not belittling their efforts, [all are appreciated] but how will this even begin to influence the awareness of those who don't get it? I asked earlier what the message might be, but I probably should have asked how that message will be conveyed. How will a floating pile of trash that has been put to good use send a message to stop littering? Is there going to be an information campaign to coincide with the passage of the plastic boat?
At any rate, there was no answer to my first question.

[Edited on 5-19-2013 by DENNIS]
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 5-19-2013 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

That's interesting, and I shouldn't dwell on it, but I've been on Baja roads since before pavement, washing down dust with cold beer as I went, and it never once occurred to me to pee in a bottle when all I had to do was stop the car, get out and go. I'll bet I did just that at least fifty thousand times.

Well....it sounds as though you have a real education challenge on your hands. I wish you luck, and thanks for the quick reply.

A few years ago I was traveling the peninsula and I pulled over at a wide spot off the pavement to eat lunch and take in the view, but....It reeked of urine so much I got back in my truck and kept on going.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2013 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans

A few years ago I was traveling the peninsula and I pulled over at a wide spot off the pavement to eat lunch and take in the view, but....It reeked of urine so much I got back in my truck and kept on going.

Who can resist a urinal with a view? Were you tripping over countless plastic bottles of the malodorous liquid?
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

That's interesting, and I shouldn't dwell on it, but I've been on Baja roads since before pavement, washing down dust with cold beer as I went, and it never once occurred to me to pee in a bottle when all I had to do was stop the car, get out and go. I'll bet I did just that at least fifty thousand times.

Well....it sounds as though you have a real education challenge on your hands. I wish you luck, and thanks for the quick reply.

Yes. We will be providing Spanish literature on waste management, recycling, reusing and reducing. Our long term goal is to provide continued educational information and to support the local, state and federal efforts. The problem with Baja sometimes is enforcement or caring, but that is changing and many major brands have recycling messages on their product packing, and I think Mexicans in larger cities are being exposed more to the no littering message than in rural Baja, but it will make its way here too, and hopefully we can help.

We love Baja, and although we haven't live here 30 years, we have been here a while and this is home. We just want to enjoy the wilds of Baja, see the Baja amazing and help in any way we can to improve the place that gives us so much.

BTW, I was a commercial urchin diver, a surfer, and my wife a swim instructor and we are both ASA certified blue water sailors. We understand the dangers, respect the sea, and weigh the risk. We think we can do it, we know once we get started it might help, so why not?

Today we moved Chatarra to our patio (needed shade) to start building the decking and other items:

Chatarra Moved

[Edited on 5-21-2013 by mexicoliving]

The Baja Good Life Club - http://www.bajagoodlifeclub.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
hopefully we can help.

You will. Thanks.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 08:21 PM

It all helps...Thanks....AND it is getting better

SwissFrank
Banned

Mood: lovable

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 08:21 PM

I too have began building a boat (barge) but I call it an arc. It's made of used toilet paper, discarded platic bottles of urine, and ciggy butts. I plan on confronting a hurricane head on in the sea so that when the waves and wind destroy my flotilla, it will be recycled back to garbage on the beach.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SwissFrank
I too have began building a boat (barge) but I call it an arc. It's made of used toilet paper,

If you got your building material from behind a taco shop, your craft will be as solid as ferro-cement...maybe heavier.
Bon voyage. :lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 08:29 PM

Swiss Frank? You are a marooon...

SwissFrank
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

I will need you to stand by and track my S.P.O.T. coms. Thank you for voluntering.
SwissFrank
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2013 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

BTW my favorite color!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2013 at 03:20 AM

Maroon= dyslexic marooon

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2013 at 06:28 AM

Chuckie, the rafters will be hanging out in Mulege for awhile, probably staying with us.

They'll be sure to get around the neighborhoods talking to the kids.

Question, do you have a recipe for coconut marooonz? I'm sure they'd love a nice treat?

Your smoked jurel rocks, thanks again!

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
SwissFrank
Banned

[*] posted on 5-24-2013 at 09:40 AM

I must say I am very saddened by the lack of funds being donated from this forum for my float. :(
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.