BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Hang onto 1 STOVE, 1 gas cylinder, 1 desk ......
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 03:47 PM
Hang onto 1 STOVE, 1 gas cylinder, 1 desk ......

PLEASE JUMP TO END FOR AUGUST 3 UPDATE

Please hang onto any unwanted beds, tables, desks, sheets, towels, dishes, silverware, pots n pans until end of July, if you can

There is a group of 5 disadvantaged students from La Bocana/ Punta Abreojos who may need them when they head off to college in La Paz this August! We will only know if they passed the entrance exam on the 15 July.

And if you are religious, please pray that they pass. They have worked very hard towards this goal.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited on 7-22-2013 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 8-3-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2013 at 09:02 PM

Blanca,

I'll be thinking good thoughts for your five students. Waiting for anything is hard enough, but two months seems like a really long time to wait for the results of their exams. I wish them well.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 01:50 PM

I know. Sure wish it was automated and faster but tant pis. C'est la vie. If any of you all have friends in La Paz, that would be the best option but anywhere down the coast is awesome and doable.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 02:46 PM

No relatives? A Sponsor Program with a family from La Paz? Dormitories? Seems like the kids would be lost in a big city after growing up in La Bocana. Anyone else with knowledge or experience w/ outta town students living in La Paz while attending school? Most kids down here rent an apt or have family. I would be happy to help out. Suerte. Tio
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 03:11 PM

"Please hang onto any unwanted beds, tables, desks"

I do just dat after señor Agave and I have had a serious discussion.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 04:39 PM

Tio, thanks for offering tohelp! We shall take it a step at a time, but if they need beds table etc, i just wanted to give you all a heads up to not give away, throw away....it will be a huge adjustment. They need to live near the college, i am hoping they can perhaps find a pensione oR home that offers meals.

If anyone lives nearish to UABCS and wants a little extra cash,maybe you'll consider renting a room out?

David! LOL!! Very funny.

[Edited on 5-14-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 04:58 PM

The answer is yes. These students get help from their families. They are not destitute. Fortunately many students each year from La Bocana and Punta Abreojos go off to college. Some to La Paz, Some to Ensenada, and the more fortunate to places like Hermosillo. Even though their tuition is not much buy our standards, most have to live off the economy placing a huge burden on the local family. They share apartments and help each other with furnishings. But every little bit that we can provide helps. You wouldn't believe the joy that a small office size frig brought to a couple of students.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 09:10 PM

Blanca, I am sure you are well intended but simply too often misdirected, but let's be clear, seniors are in need of furniture, college kids do not need furniture to go to school, kids should be minding their own business and becoming self-sufficient working part-time and simply reading, writing and doing their work, no need for any luxuries, in fact it's a burden that will only cause them trouble to move and store. Kids in La Paz live just fine with simple things they can make or find when they get here, meddling from beach resort outsiders with American ideals just causes unrealistic expectations of an endless money-tree and doesn't teach kids to plan and work hard for themselves. Sorry but you strike a nerve as though "these kids" are entitled-they are not, nor are any kids, however, we should try to help our fellow seniors in need, especially neighbors who we are aware need help. Perhaps your energy would be better suited looking for ways for your group to contribute to help others who are less fortunate instead of asking for handouts? I doubt you'll accept my point but you should know I think your posts are misdirected for the kids you claim to be helping.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 09:44 PM

Well, there you have it....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 10:15 AM

Gnukid

These are really poor kids and they will need a bed. A desk. A table to eat on. A kitchen with bare essentials. I am not even sure they will be accepted into college but i have been giving them free English classes in the hopes that this will help. I don't expect them to live in a Taj Majal, but they do have to sleep and eat, right?

Then when they graduate, they will be able to take care of their senior relatives!

Please come visit us for a day and let me show you around La Bocana. And you can meet the teens! I bet you will change your tune. ((((: These are very neat humans who have overcome huge obstacles to get where they are today. Trust me, you would be proud to support them in any way you could if you knew them.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 10:18 AM

Ralph - i bet your gesture of giving a fridge will NEVER be forgotten.

Good on you!

Come visit La Bocana

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 08:23 PM

Blanca

Campers, kids or anyone can sleep on the floor with just a simple camping pad and a sheet or on top of a blanket, a table can be made from found wood, a box or can be bought for a few pesos at the segundas, or a box with material over is cool, a lightbulb is a few pesos.

You are well intended but sometimes telling kids they need furniture or a fridge while they have no money is not really helpful.

Truly, kids should focus on schoolwork and the external environment, help out charity, take care of themselves, contribute and not be expecting Gringos to give them furniture and a fridge, in fact your suggestion is the exactly the problem. These kids need to integrate with their environment, pay the way and help out. At UABCS we have groups that paint over graffitti, plant and tend gardens, help conservation, help seniors, these kids do not benefit from furniture, TV, crap and nonsense and frankly you might consider other ideas and strategy to raise kids, such as the book "the millionaire next door". The kids are fine, stay out of it.
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 09:18 PM

Don't really get how anyone could define Baja Blanca's efforts to help the kids in Punta Abreojos or La Bocanna is somehow misguided. My wife and I have met them and our hearts go out to her efforts to help. Let's not be negative or play your own agenda when someone is making a positive influence.

There are few enough people who give a hoot about someone else. Please not talk about sleeping on floors etc. Let's see where you are sleeping before we give credence to your BS.

Like the kids, if they get accepted we are going to help.

Junanito
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 06:44 AM

You are missing the point, there are about 8 universities in La Paz, many kids come and go, there are also many others in need of all ages.

A plan would be: teach kids to be self-sufficient, don't teach kids to expect a gift from heaven to provide a bed.

Here are some ideas, go to the back of a large store, ask for wood fruit crates and pallets, go to comex and ask for left over paint. Take those items and mix the paint remnants and paint everything and stack the pallets into a bed frame, use the wood crates for shelves. Use a blanket or other items for a mattress, cardboard, or inflatable mattress, used mattresses are also available at segundas nearby.

Go to a mangrove and cut carizo, strip and clean it with a machete, cut into equal lengths, use small nails and or twine to make a decorative table, shade or shelves. Use palm fronds for shade as well.

Collect wood pieces, find a sign or old plywood to use for table tops, use two closed barrels with a piece of wood across for a table or desk cover with cloth or plastic.

These skills are both traditional and artistic as well as can be modernized and should enjoyed by both young and old, all of my furniture is hand-made by me as is much of the furniture in most nomads homes.

Transporting a mattress or desk or bedframe over any long distance is not a feasable or reasonable plan or use of resources.

Blanca think about ways to teach people to be self-sufficient, garden, fish, collect herbs and use available resources and also to contribute to their community and not use asking for donations as a way to plan to survive (wrong message).

If anything these kids are potentially the smartest, strongest, most creative, hardest working contributors to arrive in La Paz. They are their own greatest resource. If they don't have those skills use the time you have with them to teach them to make furniture with recycled items before they leave, then when they arrive they can use those skills to help themselves and also have a skill to help and share with others.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
You are missing the point, there are about 8 universities in La Paz, many kids come and go, there are also many others in need of all ages.

A plan would be: teach kids to be self-sufficient, don't teach kids to expect a gift from heaven to provide a bed.

I don't suppose anyone has ever given you any help? How is a few pieces of second hand furniture going to be a detriment to these kids? Gimme a break.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 07:57 AM

Hello Bajablanca .. I'm glad I decided to look at this post.

I/we applaud your efforts .. your life has been 'privileged' and you choose to 'turn around and give back' .. free English lessons! Bravo - we did this early on in CSL (late 90's) for crew members, and it then extended to their family members, relatives, friends which allowed many to secure jobs in the rapidly growing hospitality industry.

We cannot afford to donate to every cause, group, or person that asks .. wish it were possible - but we do support your efforts and applaud you.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 07:59 AM

gnukid, if you are against helping the kids why not just ignore the request? What is your motivation in trying to discredit Blanca's efforts?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 09:26 AM

Oh my gosh......oh my gosh

Thanks for all the kind words, not even our dog sleeps on the floor. He does have his own bed.

Now, these kids are actually pretty entrepreneurial. The twins make food to sell (sushi etc.), one boy fishes and gives fish to his family as well as sells to others for pocket money. They boys organize car washes ever since i taught them how to do it for the surf club years ago. I have a picture of that which i will hunt down and post because it is one of my favorites. Some of the kids got together and we created a biscotti company - some of you may remember that !

99 % of kids here in La Bocana, i would classify as wealthy, even by American standards. The kids i have worked with, for this past year, are really, no doubt, quite the opposite. Their situation is dire and their need is real. My vision was of A BED, A DESK, A KITCHEN TABLE. And they can be returned after use. And this may all be moot, since my real hope is that they find a family with a room to rent.

I still say gnukid should come here and see the teens abodes. Meet them up close and personal. And then have the heart to tell them to sleep on the floor.

[Edited on 5-16-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMcfrog
Don't really get how anyone could define Baja Blanca's efforts to help the kids in Punta Abreojos or La Bocanna is somehow misguided. My wife and I have met them and our hearts go out to her efforts to help. Let's not be negative or play your own agenda when someone is making a positive influence.

There are few enough people who give a hoot about someone else. Please not talk about sleeping on floors etc. Let's see where you are sleeping before we give credence to your BS.

Like the kids, if they get accepted we are going to help.

Junanito

WOW !!!!!!!!!!! UN F@#$ING REAL !!!!
BLANCA YOU GO GIRL, Im sure all your efforts are appreciated,
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 11:28 AM

This is a picture with the surf club, probably 5 years ago, the very first time we had a big carwash - they made 1500 pesos that day - we were so happy. I want to note that Juanchy and Domingo, cousins and wonderful fishermen, were the 1st 2 to come that morning. Anyone who has fished in La Bocana knows them well. I will never forget their gesture.

On a side note, the kids probably used up half the water in town - they were not used to washing cars or economizing on water ... so it was an opportunity for them to learn about water conservation too.

Actually, it was a town effort on so many levels:

the water company guy gave us free water
an American brought down from US and donated the 2 blue bins we used to store H2O - we did the wash at the main square
the police cordoned off the street for the kids
moms brough sandwiches/drinks/moral support
the local car products store gave the kids a discount on the wax, soap etc.
and of course, most of the kids had no clue how to wash a car properly, so those clients the first day were kind enough to accept less than perfect cars

Nowadays, every kid knows how to do a primo job, even Les who is their most critical customer was satisfied with the job done just last week, by one of the kids (Argenis) from that first carwash. So, the entrepreneurial spirit goes on - Argenis is actually one of the wealthier kids in town and his dad is making him work to pay for his motorcycle races.

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.