Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Conquista Agraria
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 06:18 PM
Conquista Agraria

We drive by the turn off's for this place all the time - Conquista Agraria.

Never taken the time to go out there and there does not seem to be much information on this area.

Anyone ever been there?

It has one turn off with a new paved road out to it.
BajaGuera
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 06:58 PM

I just googled it and there are a ton of webpages and a Facebook page. I am sure your Spanish is better than mine so won't even begin to translate. I looks to be an ejido...but beyond that...I'm not quite sure.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGuera
I looks to be an ejido...but beyond that...I'm not quite sure.

With a name like Conquista Agraria, it could be nothing but an Ejido.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 08:28 PM

It's a dusty little farming town close to Punta Marquez. There is a fish camp at Marquez. The beaches are nice if you want a little seclusion.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 10:23 PM

As mono said, it's a small farming community on the way to some nice secluded beaches. The road that parallels the Pacific was "The Old Road" up until the late 1950s, when the present highway was put in. The Baja 1000 often comes into La Paz on that route. It's a nice area for camping, or would make a good day trip loop for a picnic on the beach.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 04:12 AM

Yes, I googled it too. The facebook page doesn't have much on it.

Thanks. just curious. Will take that route next time down that way.

Looks interesting. . . .
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 06:53 AM

One of our Nomads has a little place out there for getaways. BajaBK? Friendly villagers and remote beaches. Donkay & Mike walked thru on his lower Baja coastal Trek. Any Ghosts out there? :spingrin: Tio
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 07:13 AM

Just happened to go out there about two months ago with a friend that owns one of the farms out there. As he was giving me a tour of the area he pulled into an area that had several abandoned buildings on it and even a "panga" shaped pool.

I have no idea how to verify any of this but he said the complex was once one of Pablo Escobar's properties used to move cocaine north. He said some of his farm workers fathers used to work there before a raid in the early 70's shut it down. He pointed out the air strip, the dog kennels and guard quarters as well as the warehouse used to process the cocaine. I have no idea if any of this is true as the house itself was a lot smaller than something I would expect a cartel leader to own but heck. Who knows, it makes a good story.

In Memory of E-57
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 07:55 AM

Yep - Conquista is a dusty little ejido village. There are 2 other ejido villages in the neighborhood - Reforma #1 and Reforma#2. There are 2 roads into this area from the highway. The turn-off at KM 55 is the more direct road to go to Conquista, but it is not paved. There is another turn-off at KM 38 and that is the newly paved road which will take you to Reforma #1. The road is paved up to a couple of kms short of Reforma #1. The plan is to continue the paving this summer through to Reforma #1 and then turn north and continue paving to Conquista (and perhaps as far as Reforma#2, but not totally sure about that). In fact, yesterday on our drive to La Paz we saw a brand new sign at Km 38 announcing the "Ramal Conquista".

I don't know of any get-away sorts of places in Conquista, but maybe there is one? Other than the ejido villages, there are also several ranches in the neighborhood.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 08:47 AM

Mula - here's some more description of this area - (part of an article I wrote). U2U me for directions if you want to stop by when you're out here exploring.

NEVER HEARD OF THE MID-PACIFIC COAST?

East Cape, Los Cabos, or Pacific Corridor are names of real places we know – the names locate the places exactly. Yet, there is a stretch of the Pacific Coast of Baja California Sur that doesn’t have an agreed upon, commonly used name – at least not one that we know of – so we have taken to calling it the Mid-Pacific Coast. The area in question extends from north of Todos Santos for some 80 miles up the coast to Bahia Magdalena. This is a beautiful and off-the-beaten-track sort of place where, until recently, change has come slowly. The coast is sparsely populated with a few villages whose inhabitants are either fishermen or agricultural workers. There are also a number of old ranches scattered throughout the area whose inhabitants raise cattle, goats, and sheep and make cheese.

The Mid-Pacific Coast is not a mountainous area, but rather a region of hills and mesas (actually old sea bed) and miles and miles of cardon/cactus forest. The coast itself alternates between dramatic cliffs that drop off to the ocean and other more inviting and gently sloping dunes and terrain that lead down to the sea.

People tell us: the peninsula is only 26 miles wide from La Paz to the mid-Pacific – surely the climates are the same? In fact, the Mid-Pacific Coast has a comfortable year-round climate where the summer temps are easily 10 to 15 degrees cooler than La Paz and it’s far less humid with refreshing sea breezes to keep it that way. What a world of difference from La Paz where the brutal heat and humidity drive so many people to escape during the summer months!

To get there, drive out any of the roads branching off of the transpeninsular highway north of La Paz at kilometers 35, 38, 55, or 79 to name a few. The road at Km 79 will lead you to Punta Conejo, a popular spot with surfers. The other roads will take you to inland villages as well as out to some old ranch properties along the coast such as La Aguja, El Progresso and Los Inocentes. This is the narrowest part of the Baja peninsula, and the coast is easily accessible.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I have no idea if any of this is true as the house itself was a lot smaller than something I would expect a cartel leader to own but heck. Who knows, it makes a good story.

Cartel leaders didn't, and don't have to get their hands too dirty, so, like you say, it's a good story.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 09:06 AM

Conquista Agraria is such a neat name.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 09:37 AM

Neat?! You're killing me Blanca. ja, ja, ja. So Sixties, no?! I remember my 8th grade English teacher would not allow its use! Now back to regular programming. :biggrin: Tio
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2013 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Conquista Agraria is such a neat name.

It's just an indication of their never ending revolution.
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 08:35 AM

This from a local website ...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 05:24 PM

bryanmckenzie, where are you... :cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 09:39 AM
Rancho La Ajuga / Playas Pacificas / Conquista Agraria

I have been two times (2010). And will be using BajaLinda's and Roberto's beautiful Playas Pacificas property located on Rancho La Ajuga for several evenings of peaceful quiet sleep and a few days of relaxation and reflection. And of course, trip reporting from there. They have Internet access. And a beautiful new paved road most of the way to the ranch (see pictures below). Absolutely magnificent part of the Baja peninsula!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
We drive by the turn off's for this place all the time - Conquista Agraria.

Never taken the time to go out there and there does not seem to be much information on this area.

Anyone ever been there?

It has one turn off with a new paved road out to it.

Guesthouse / Office on Pacific

[Edited on 2013-10-27 by bryanmckenzie]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.â€
-Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 12:20 PM

We have been to Aguja too! Exquisite is the operative word that describes this area. If we were to choose another location to move to, this might be one of the contenders.

Tio, I know, neat is an old word and it was indeed banned by teachers as slang.......LOL

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 12:46 PM

Bryan - thank you for sharing the map and photos. It's an area that I've wanted to explore for a long time.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 01:58 PM

Bryan - if you don't mind...which website did that map come from?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.