BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Where do you fish when your not down south?
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 09:50 AM

Those two sharks are a kick in the ass to catch as well as eat we would take a small one now and then,the pic is me and my old 16" Ryan,not much freeboard which meant when a bigger grinner was along side the hair on the back of my neck would stand on end,the bigger ones were very scary:o

Had a T-Shark whack me up side the head with his tail one time,saw stars for a hour,my first Mako.

Notice along side of its head a bigger one took a nip while I had it along side:o

[Edited on 5-23-2013 by baitcast]

[Edited on 5-23-2013 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 02:38 PM

Where were those WSB taken,Beautiful fish!! can,t be to much of a wasteland,its great to see such a come back,I got some nice ones on the old Belmont pier in the early sixties but in those days there were sardines everywhere,b-tchen fishin!!
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 09:52 PM

There was a time when you could have sworn that the WSB days at socal would never be again. But the management practices DFG put in really turned things around. WSB off Belmont pier? That must've been something.

Even halibut had become really rare at one time. I remember my first trip ever on a half day boat (about 62). We made a drift over Huntington Flats and every one of us got a halibut on one drift. There must've been 30-40 anglers on board. Everyone went home with limits of halibut. Then things started to get worse but the Seal Beach pier was still a good bet for a large flattie. By the mid 70's they were pretty rare. They've bounced back since then but the WSB turnaround is just amazing really.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2013 at 10:11 PM

When NOB I fish the California Delta and SF Bay. I keep my boat berthed halfway between so I can go either way. We catch striped bass, sturgeon, tiger shark, an occasional ray, and pesky crabs inside the Golden Gate (can't keep them if they are inside the GG. They eat all your bait and tease!). Catfish back in the Delta, too, but I don't keep those. Salmon can be found here, too, but I've never caught one myself.

I've fished everywhere I've ever lived and I try to make it a point to get in at least one fishing trip everywhere I go on vacation.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 07:05 AM

I think he means Leopard sharks. On another note, it seems a lot of Nomads have had really interesting "other" lives. :lol:
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 08:02 AM

Frank that is why sessions like this are so much fun before you were just talking to a handle now its a guy who loves to fish and he lives out there and he has that itch just like you,the great thing about fishing is its something you have been able to do all our life and it fills a need we all have,its in our genes........we are all water babies clear back to the beginning!
Rob

baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 08:51 AM

The last time we had a gabfest like this was when Acadist asked posted "Why do I fish" enlightening reading about other guys who fish and their thoughts on our hobby.

The next best thing to fishing is to gab about it:lol:
Rob

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 10:23 AM

1200 views. Pretty good, Rob.

60 more pages and we'll reach ramuma's pinnacle.

My list:

Alaska: salmon & rainbow trout
British Columbia: rainbow trout
Oregon: trout
Idaho: trout
Montana: trout
Yellowstone: trout
Utah: trout
Quebec: northern pike
Maine: largemouth bass
New Hampshire: smallmouth bass
West Virginia: smallmouth bass
Yucatan: tarpon, permit
Peru: rainbow trout
Christmas Island: bonefish, trevally
Sierras: trout
Central Valley: largemouth bass, bluegill, crappie
SF Delta: striped bass, largemouth bass, leopard shars
Half Moon Bay: rockfish

My favorite trout spot in california is the Klamath River that flows at the junction of Oregon and California.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Skipjack,a bunch of my friends would fish the Klamath every year for salmon.Finally said I would go with them till I saw photos of people three deep on the shore waiting for their turn to cast.No thank you.

I'll show you an area that fewer than 100 people see a year. Above Copco Lake, where there are no salmon or steelhead runs. 20 miles of the worst dirt road you have ever experienced. It's very primitive in there. There are no tables and no firepits. Unlike the sierras the water is rich in minerals and loaded with bugs. The trout are fat and sassy.
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2013 at 08:46 AM

I well take you back to 1946 0r 47,my father bought a stump ranch on Pend Oreille lake Ida,we had fished the lake off and on since I was a kid while living in Spokane Wa.

Hows this for a bargain,180 acres,2100' of shore line,old farm house,big barn,two horses,two cows,80 acres cleared the rest in timber and a lake while at the time had two world records trout,37#Rainbow and a 32# Dolly Varden for a total out the door of $ 18,000:lol: forgot it had huge Mackinaw also up to 40#:o Thats what they called Lake Trout up there.

The first year Dad towed a big tree up to our beach after the the spring run off,secured it and made our fishing pier ,where as a young kid I caught Bows,Cutthroat and Dollies,perch,my first Bass,it was heaven on earth for a fisherman,before we moved three years later our best fish were a Rainbow or Kamloop that Dad caught 12#,nearly 8# Dolly for me and Moms 9# Bowand I was just getting started with my fishing career:lol:

He said son if it ain,t a trout its not worth your time:lol:

[Edited on 5-26-2013 by baitcast]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-26-2013 at 10:35 AM

Thanks to all ..... great thread :):)

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2013 at 02:40 AM

Whistler, Baitcast, Frank...yes, I meant leopard shark, not tiger shark. Good eating but a pain to get that tough skin off. I love the Delta! I'm moving my boat this month further into the Delta; I've been on the Bay side for a few years now and want a change of scenery. Plus, if this water issue goes the wrong way it could spell the end of the Delta and I want to get back there before that happens. Used to be more in the Delta by Bethel Island but moved towards the Bay about 5 years ago. BTW, I'm a woman, not a guy. This happens a lot. Maybe I should post a pic :spingrin:
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-1-2013 at 05:26 AM

I'm sorry, typical assumption. Yes please post a pic, of the boat :lol:
baitcast
Super Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 6-1-2013 at 09:46 AM

Definitely post:biggrin:
Rob

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 01:42 AM

Whistler, I used to go gold panning on the N. fork of the American River. Spent many a day camping up there and had a blast! Hike upriver, pan all day, and ride a inner tube all the way back down to camp. Make fresh-picked blackberry pancakes and bacon in the morning. Make the kids tote water up from the river (no facilities - remote camping) when they got "bored." I never saw any decent fish there, though. I was told it was from all the panning going on. Some people used vacuums and scooped up all the rocks, etc, from the bottom of the river; I guess it disturbed the eggs. This was up by Colfax, and Sunnyvale is quite a bit further south so the fishing must have not been impacted down there. This was all before I got bit by the boating bug. Haven't been back in many years but have many fond memories from when my kids were small.

Very nice picture, and heck of a nice fish you have there!!
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 03:24 AM

Ok, since you asked, here's a picture of my boat: :tumble:

[img][/img]

[Edited on 6-2-2013 by Kgryfon]
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 09:27 AM
Fishin with my grandson

Oroville, Clear Lake, Shasta Lake the San Joaquin Delta.. Bass fising in my procraft.

[img][/img]
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 09:32 AM
Rather be in Baja

But......... The Cabo is where its at.

[img][/img]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 11:48 AM

Speaking of shad. This was taken off Road 48 on the Sacramento River. The best time to be there was May 15 - Memorial Day.

MarshallShad.jpg - 48kB
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 11:56 AM

Launching for evening bite on shad:

LaunchingOnSacramento.jpg - 49kB
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.