BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Where do you fish when your not down south?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 10:48 AM

Here is what I know about grayling (observations, not proven facts)
The one in the photo is a beauty, 18 inches is about as big as you can expect, too bad the dorsal fin is not up, it is impressive for a small fish!
Frequently the first one you catch is the largest in that hole, kind of like a big bull Dorado and his harem.
They are frequently caught in small streams, sometimes in large numbers, but they aren't there all the time. They move to larger bodies of water to winter over and return to the streams after break up.
They are tasty, but I still prefer trout!

Footnote, I have seen salmon and Dolly Varden attempting to spawn in drainage that goes dry when the rain stops, grayling might do the same.

edit Skipjack is right about being a beginner fish, they are so willing to bite that kids won't get bored! My favorite fall back when the bite is slow is an ultralight spinning rod and a small, black Panther Martin! Grayling, trout or Dollies can't resist them when you cast upstream and retrieve quickly.

[Edited on 2-11-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 12:43 PM

There are plenty of lakes with grayling around too - they're not just a stream fish. Of course you have to be pretty far north to find them in either lakes or streams. Biggest one I've ever caught was about 20" from a small creek in northern Finland. Neat fish. Very surface oriented if you're a flyfisherman. Tons of fun.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 12:56 PM

Beautiful picture's, Skipjack. Thanks for sharing.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 12:58 PM
You get a sense of their subtle coloration here ...

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 01:06 PM

^^^That one is beautiful!^^^

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 01:06 PM
And the large dorsal fine here ...

I personally don't like pictures of fisherman stretching out this fin to show them off. But that's just me.

This is one of those fish that you go for the scenery, not for the fish. Nobody books a trip to Alaska to catch grayling. They're sort of an intermission fishery for guys that get tired of pulling on salmon.

And that's fine because you get to fish in magnificent country with noone in sight.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 01:15 PM

The grayling is known as the 'sailfish' of the North. We have caught them at many streams along the Alaska Highway. Seems the scenery is always beautiful, too. Truly a fun and easy fish to enjoy...and it helps to make the long road trip a success.

Here's it's 'sail'. (sorry, Igor...didn't mean to make you grit your teeth..):rolleyes:

[Edited on 2-11-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  

Here's it's 'sail'. (sorry, Igor...didn't mean to make you grit your teeth..):rolleyes:

Hah. No problem. You know how cranky old people get. Besides, that one tooth is riding too high anyway.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 09:32 AM
Great Pic's fun gabing!

Slow times so here is a bump
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

biggrin.gif posted on 12-9-2021 at 11:58 AM

This one was real fun BUMP......ROB

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.