BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Is the Baja Peninsula Getting Greener?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 07:00 AM
Is the Baja Peninsula Getting Greener?

I think it is. I've been driving from San Diego to BCS for quite some time and in the past 5 years or so it seems to me that it is getting greener. It is difficult to know though because I travel at different times of the year, sometimes shortly after several weeks of intermittent rain.

Here is a peer reviewed scientific study that concludes that the atmospheric increase in CO2 is making warm, arid regions greener, backing up my casual observations.

A positive effect of global warming on a local scale?

link

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 07:18 AM

Can't argue with science BUT much of the peninsula is just that, a slender peninsula that doesn't make much of it's own weather -- the SOC and the Pacific bring a great deal of the moisture to make the greenery. As to the CO2, except for the border there is little man made CO2 (I'm guessing). To be convinced I'd have to see the sat charts of N. Africa and Baja California to throw in 100% on this particular reason for increased greening.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Can't argue with science BUT much of the peninsula is just that, a slender peninsula that doesn't make much of it's own weather -- the SOC and the Pacific bring a great deal of the moisture to make the greenery.

Good point. Although I might add that the mountains down the middle do cause weather that otherwise would not occur. And, increasing CO2, for whatever reason, will cause warming of the atmosphere and a warmer atmosphere will hold more water vapor, which probably means more rainfall, someplace.

[Edited on 6-2-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 07:53 AM

Better points than mine. Your signature piece about Abe Lincoln struck a chord > don't know about animals rights from Abe; his nickname, Honest Abe, was earned by him being a very honest and popular judge in c-ckfighting arenas.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 08:06 AM

Air, like the climate, is not static... it moves about this planet pushed by winds and pressure, as well as a rotating earth. CO2 created in one area does not stay in that area. The same is true of oxygen.

Plants breath in CO2, and breath out oxygen, the opposite of animals... Volcanos and other natural sources also 'breath out' CO2. If CO2 levels rise, so do the number of oxygen creating plants and trees.

That man thinks he is mightier than Nature and can change the climate is laughable... Nature always wins!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

A positive effect of global warming on a local scale?

link

Bob Durrell
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Air, like the climate, is not static... it moves about this planet pushed by winds and pressure, as well as a rotating earth. CO2 created in one area does not stay in that area. The same is true of oxygen.

Plants breath in CO2, and breath out oxygen, the opposite of animals... Volcanos and other natural sources also 'breath out' CO2. If CO2 levels rise, so do the number of oxygen creating plants and trees.

That man thinks he is mightier than Nature and can change the climate is laughable... Nature always wins!
What's laughable is the notion that the release of trillions of tons of CO2 and other gasses from the burning of hydrocarbons would have no effect on our climate. Nature does always win, and will eventually render extinct any species that doesn't live in balance with it's environment.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 08:39 AM

LOL good one Bob!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

What's laughable is the notion that the release of trillions of tons of CO2 and other gasses from the burning of hydrocarbons would have no effect on our climate. Nature does always win, and will eventually render extinct any species that doesn't live in balance with it's environment.

Sounds about right... everything has cause and effect. But, who controls how many volcanoes erupt in a year? I think man is part of this planet too, and what we do here is part of the natural order, since we are a nature part of earth. We will do bad, dirty things... then we change and do good and clean up things. I haven't see a volcano take back all the poisonous gasses and CO2 it has released... so there is a reason for it, and more trees may be the reason? Soil from volcanoes is some of the richest for growing, as well.

[Edited on 6-2-2013 by David K]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 08:53 AM

Yes, some people are like volcanoes. spew a lot of stuff that fertilizes plants.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 09:09 AM

Indeed! :yes:

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 10:14 AM

Hmmmmm,

The original question was:

Over the past 10 years, I think so and I think that's good.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Hmmmmm,

The original question was:

Over the past 10 years, I think so and I think that's good.

Perhaps it is, and it does look like it, but that does concern me as I always noticed that when the desert turned green in Baja, the no-see-ums drove us nuts!!!

barry
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 10:51 AM

:lol::lol:

How i hate noseeums too

Here in our little village, as the inhabitants invest more and more into their homes and seeing as how we now have much less expensive water, the number of plants and trees has grown exponentially. We are definitely greener.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 11:00 AM

I try and keep in mind that the great aquifers that fed/feed the San Quintin, Vizcaino and Constitucion areas had to be created somehow. And that somehow was not the arid climate of today. From the time of the first transplant from the Asia-Alaska land bridge to the present, it is just a blink of real geological time.

I also keep in mind that a single die-off of the Amazon rain forest will produce more CO2 than man has made since the days of "Lucy". This is a statement of fact and not a political position.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 01:05 PM

Definitely getting greener from Mulege to the East Cape. This year we travelled with clouds of many different sizes, colours and shapes of butterflies all the way to the tip of the peninsula. It was wonderful. They didn't thin ranks until January. I thought this might have something to do with extra rain somewhere. In the East Cape, there hasn't been a lot of rain, but there seems to be a lot of cloud condensation keeping the mountain tops more lush over the past decade. I think that central Baja is recovering from draught, but overall, it the biomass and roadside cattle looked in better shape this year in most places.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 02:11 PM

Interesting stats from my friend Lou for rainfall on near east cape show that last year was unusually wet and therefore green. Prior to that not green at all down here. All you had to do was look at the cows. Bony as hell. This year they are fat and happy.

YEAR RAINFALL AMT {INCHES}

1998 23.25
1999 1.83
2000 9.08
2001 10.82
2002 4.51
2003 14.4
2004 4.52
2005 4.66
2006 11.41
2007 3.98
2008 4.51
2009 5.81
2010 2.66
2011 4.01
2012 18.07

123.60 ---------- = 8.24 INCHES AVERAGE 15 YRS.

I hope we are in a wetter trend, but one year is no trend. Time will tell.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 04:07 PM

Doesn't seem any greener to me. I don't think you'd notice extra greening from higher CO2 levels in an arid environment-----go watch coastal Oregon for a few years!

On the volcanoes verses anthropogenic emissions we win hands down on CO2. Volcanoes release more sulphur dioxide and dust particles than carbon dioxide and tend to cool the climate ( unless its a giant eruption like the one in the Siberian Traps just before the Permian extinction and which may have contributed to that catastrophic event).

From the U.S Geological Survey:

"Volcanic versus anthropogenic CO2 emissions

Do the Earth’s volcanoes emit more CO2 than human activities? Research findings indicate that the answer to this frequently asked question is a clear and unequivocal, “No.” Human activities, responsible for a projected 35 billion metric tons (gigatons) of CO2 emissions in 2010 (Friedlingstein et al., 2010), release an amount of CO2 that dwarfs the annual CO2 emissions of all the world’s degassing subaerial and submarine volcanoes (Gerlach, 2011)."

The rest of the article: http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/climate.php

This is not meant as political bait, just trying to sort thru the facts.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Doesn't seem any greener to me. I don't think you'd notice extra greening from higher CO2 levels in an arid environment-----go watch coastal Oregon for a few years!

On the volcanoes verses anthropogenic emissions we win hands down on CO2. Volcanoes release more sulphur dioxide and dust particles than carbon dioxide and tend to cool the climate ( unless its a giant eruption like the one in the Siberian Traps just before the Permian extinction and which may have contributed to that catastrophic event).

From the U.S Geological Survey:

"Volcanic versus anthropogenic CO2 emissions

Do the Earth’s volcanoes emit more CO2 than human activities? Research findings indicate that the answer to this frequently asked question is a clear and unequivocal, “No.” Human activities, responsible for a projected 35 billion metric tons (gigatons) of CO2 emissions in 2010 (Friedlingstein et al., 2010), release an amount of CO2 that dwarfs the annual CO2 emissions of all the world’s degassing subaerial and submarine volcanoes (Gerlach, 2011)."

The rest of the article: http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/climate.php

This is not meant as political bait, just trying to sort thru the facts.

That's interesting stuff, Mexitron------I did not know that. I have long been spreading the rumor that volcanoes release more CO2 than humans------I will now have to reset my thinking.

Barry
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
:lol::lol:

How i hate noseeums too

Here in our little village, as the inhabitants invest more and more into their homes and seeing as how we now have much less expensive water, the number of plants and trees has grown exponentially. We are definitely greener.
\

and now we will have more water loving creatures as well!:bounce::bounce:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.