Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: "de nada" is polite?
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 07:44 AM

those internet translators crack me up...hmmm...I wonder how THAT would translate to Spanish. My point is that learning spanish is best done on the streets or beaches hangin with amigos who will teach you the real way actual people where you live talk to each other....which is how I learned. So go play cards, or pool or go shopping or something with a mexican friend..you will learn way more than in a classroom or on your computer.

"No hay pedo" sort of means "no sweat man" funny that both are odourous!!! jajaja

My best student learned English watching cartoons as a kid! which also appears to work well.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 08:08 AM

Shari, can "no hay pedo" be used always, meaning, can one use it in a formal situation? Or is it strictly used with compas?

And another one I wonder about, which teens use all the time: NO MAMES. To me that just seems so rude ????? Or am I just misreading it?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
villafontana
Nomad

Mood: Urgency to travel all the time in Baja!

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 08:15 AM

Baja Blanca, i dont advice to use the first phat phrase, neither with a mexican cop nor a judge, nor somebody with public power in Mexico. Haha. Strictly with amigos like Shari and me. Lol. The second phrase, please use it, STRICTLY with ur husband if the relation allows it. Or with ur bestest friend. Lol

[Edited on 6-4-2013 by villafontana]

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 11:49 AM

Certainly glad we got that straightened out. :lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by villafontana
nor somebody with public power in Mexico.

Interesting comment, probably deserving of it's own thread. It might be interesting to get a Mexican view of the level of respect/fear they have for officials, as well as the limits of free speech in Mexico.....that is, if said Mexican [whoever that may be] has the nerve to talk freely on a public forum.
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 02:13 PM

When I first came to Mexico with my dad, who had only US high school Spanish, he used to warn me never to say "por nada", as that term meant something was worthless. I never knew much Spanish before I moved here several years ago. I hear "por nada" used interchangeably with "de nada", but clearly not as often. Maybe times have changed, maybe it was always OK.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 02:32 PM

this has been the challenge for me learning & speaking spanish...one listens and learns how our amigos talk to each other and the phrases they use all the time...so naturally we start using them to...but it is one of those things where many times is OK between "them" to use certain words or phrases but it is not appropriate for us to use them...not fair in my opinion but that's how it is...no mames is one of those...no hay pedo is only Ok in a joking context with people who know you...definately not formally or with elders. It always got a laugh with my university students but not appropriate with other "adults". Que pedo is sort of like a surfer's Que Onda and again only with your compas. It's hard to know which ones or Ok and which ones arent..Juan is pretty quick to let me know thankfully.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 02:58 PM

Slang......according to the Urban Dictionary

slang is the continual and ever-changing use and definition of words in informal conversation, often using references as a means of comparison or showing likeness. some modern slang has endured over the decades since its inception (i.e. cool) and some will only last a few years before being rendered obsolete or outdated (i.e. bling bling). slang can be born from any number of situations or ideas (the word slang itself has come to represent selling, especially of illegal drugs), and can be blunt or riddled with metaphor, and often quite profound.

the use of slang is frequently ridiculed by culturally-ignorant people who feel it is the product of insufficient education and believe it to be counter-evolutionary; of course, they couldn't be farther from the truth. human language has been in a state of constant reinvention for centuries, and slang has been used and created by poets and writers of all sorts (William Shakespeare has been credited for the upbringing of at least a couple of words). it is the right and responsibility of the modern human to keep re-evaluating language, to give dead words innovative contemporary meanings or to simply invent new ones, in order to be more appealing and representative to the speaker/listener (which was essentially the basis behind language anyway, to understandably communicate thoughts or ideas verbally).
villafontana
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Certainly glad we got that straightened out. :lol::lol:

Glad i can help my fellow non spanish speaking bajanomadians with some spanish context. Lol
villafontana
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by villafontana Pero al menos un gringo ya no me alburea en ingles.

?Tanto así? Tengo añññños metido en el estudio del español, y cuando se juntan dos chilangos con sus albures, confieso que todavía me pierdo...

Awebooo k yo tambn amigazo!!! Esos cabrones son los reyes del albur!! Jaja
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 03:08 PM

awebooo...o ahuevo...is another one of those that seems not OK for me to use...but using a slightly modified version...is...ahueso seems all right. I love how by changing a letter or sound all is well. Uta mano... spanish is sooooo much more expressive and alive than english.

villafontana
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
awebooo...o ahuevo...is another one of those that seems not OK for me to use...but using a slightly modified version...is...ahueso seems all right. I love how by changing a letter or sound all is well. Uta mano... spanish is sooooo much more expressive and alive than english.

R u calling me foul mouthed Shari??? :O. Hehe
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 06:09 PM

YOU are allowed y es costumbre...pero yo como mujer y extranjero...no deberia hablar asi...aunque me gusta...jejeje

villafontana
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
YOU are allowed y es costumbre...pero yo como mujer y extranjero...no deberia hablar asi...aunque me gusta...jejeje

Shari donde naciste?? eres anglosajona?? o de que descendencia eres?? despues te dire por k te pregunto.
villafontana
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2013 at 07:05 PM

Quote:

o sea k es costumbre k el mexicano sea MALHABLADOOOO?????? o sea estoy en shock!!! habemos mexicanos que no nos gusta que los extranjeros nos etiqueten de malhablados!!! sniff, sniff

[Edited on 6-5-2013 by villafontana]
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2013 at 07:59 AM

No mames guey!!! jajajaja...mexicanos grosseros? No puede ser!!! Naci en Canada

villafontana
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2013 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
No mames guey!!! jajajaja...mexicanos grosseros? No puede ser!!! Naci en Canada

:lol::lol::lol::
A partir de hoy declarobk seras una de mis mejores amigas de baja nomad puesto k me dijiste no mames wey. Jaja. Y no me moleste al contrario me dio risa. Pero eres anglosajona o de k descendencia eres? Britanica?? Francesa? O mexicana?

[Edited on 6-5-2013 by villafontana]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2013 at 08:42 AM

Jejeje. La Shari es de Canada!

Villafontana, Thanks so,much for clarifying the no mames and the no hay pedo!

When the locals get together and start speaking their dialect, i can't understand a thing!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
villafontana
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2013 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Jejeje. La Shari es de Canada!

Villafontana, Thanks so,much for clarifying the no mames and the no hay pedo!

When the locals get together and start speaking their dialect, i can't understand a thing!

Language, Bajablanca, language. Not dialect. Dialect is a demeaning form to call a language. Fyi.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2013 at 10:57 AM

intento cumplido compa!!! darte risa... porque esa es el sabor de vida aqui en baja sur que me disfruta tanto...reirse con la palomia.

pues, Canada crecio con muchos emigrados como mexico...llegaron los gueros de Europa conquistar los indios en el nombre de Dios...asi que 2 de mis abuelos eran de Europa y uno con sangre indigena por parte de mi abuelo paternal. Asi que soy de raza mixta pero corazon pura! PURA VIDA!

y usted? de donde son sus raizes?

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.