Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Arizona Border Deaths Detailed
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 01:49 PM
Arizona Border Deaths Detailed

From FNS News

"As the hottest time of year descends on the borderland, a new report sheds fresh light on the mass deaths of migrants crossing the deadly Sonora-Arizona desert. Co-authored by the University of Arizona’s Binational Migration Institute and the Pima County Office of the Medical Examiner (PCOME), the study examines the deaths of 2,238 migrants in the Tucson area between 1990 and 2012.

The researchers document the dramatic rise in border crossing deaths beginning in 1990, when the bodies of 8 undocumented migrants were recovered, and culminating in 2012, when 171 migrant deaths were recorded. With 225 migrant deaths registered in the zone examined, 2010 was rated the deadliest year.

According to the report: “Previous research has illustrated that segmented border militarization has resulted in the funnel effect, or the redistribution of migratory flows into remote and dangerous areas such as southern Arizona…”

The sharp jump in migrant deaths was compared with immigration detentions, finding that there were 14.9 migrant deaths per 100,000 detentions in 1990 in contrast to 146.8 migrant deaths per 100,000 detentions in 2011. As deaths of border crossers climbed, the PCOME was forced to expand its facilities.

Of the 2,238 deceased individuals cited in the study, 768 remain unidentified. In terms of gender identity, 80 percent of the remains recovered belonged to males, 18 percent to females and the sex of 2 percent could be not be determined.

As far as national origin went, 82.2 percent of the identified persons were from Mexico, 7.1 percent from Guatemala, 2.3 percent from El Salvador, and 1.4 percent from Honduras. Individuals from Peru, Brazil, Costa Rica, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Chile, and Nicaragua were also identified.

The average age of the deceased migrants was 31.

Working under challenging circumstances because of the physical condition of the human remains recuperated, researchers were able to determine that 46 percent of the deceased persons died from climatic exposure, which in the region considered typically ranges from blazing hot weather in the warmer seasons to cold temperatures in the cooler ones, while 9 percent were killed in automobile accidents. Notably, homicide accounted for 4 percent of the deaths. In more than one third of the cases, or 36 percent, the cause of death could not be determined.

The report notes that migrant deaths in the Arizona desert stayed at very high levels even as overall immigration flows and migrant detentions plummeted in recent years.

“Even though there are less undocumented people crossing the border, I think the most important thing we can point out is that the number of deaths has not come down,” said Raquel Rubio Goldsmith, University of Arizona researcher and co-author of the report. “This means that we continue proving that the more immigration law is enforced in a militarized way, the more deaths there are on the border.”

The report’s authors note that deaths of unauthorized border crossers have also increased in the U.S. Border Patrol Sectors of Laredo and the Rio Grande Valley of south Texas, jumping from a combined total of 131 in Fiscal Year 2011 to 240 in Fiscal Year 2012.

Further, the report holds the true number of migrant border crosser deaths is unknown, since not all bodies are discovered and many people remain missing. In this vein, the PCOME Migrant Missing Project's probe of 1,300 disappeared people will be the subject of a forthcoming report.

“Our hope is that policy makers will consider the data presented in this report as they debate what is arguably the single most important piece of immigration legislation in nearly three decades,” the report’s authors conclude. “Access to concrete data is crucial when making decisions of this caliber.”

The joint study by the Binational Migration Institute and the PCOME contains detailed maps and graphics, including a stark photo of body bags stacked up for processing. Readers interested in seeing the new report can go to:

http://bmi.arizona.edu/sites/default/files/border_deaths_fin...

Additional Source: El Universal/EFE, June 5, 2013.

Frontera NorteSur: on-line, U.S.-Mexico border news
Center for Latin American and Border Studies
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, New Mexico

For a free electronic subscription
email:fnsnews@nmsu.edu

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
migrant deaths

Suicide. Walk into hell and you'll suffer.
I suppose this is our fault too.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 03:02 PM

The reported # of illegal migrants apprehended coming to the US
are said to be up somewhat over the last few yrs.,
due to, one could assume, the somewhat improving
US economy. wonder if the pending Immigration legislation
in Wash DC, not that it would affect those newly arriving,
I doubt that they would know that though,
would cause an up tick in illegal immigration?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
illegal immigration?

That doesn't seem to apply any longer.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 03:46 PM
It's HOT out there

Hitting 100 every day in the HIGH Desert. 110 and above down in the Valley. A wise man (or woman) would stay home and sit in the shade.

I suppose what they need is Air-Conditioned way-stations placed at intervals for the migrating. Maybe with Pool Tables and the like for recreation while they getting ready for the next leg of their trek.

Suggest it to your Members of Congress.

Or not.

And just assume that it's Darwinism at work.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 07:18 PM

Mr. Bill, nice to see that you continue to a racist homophobic idiot.....some things never change.........the gene pool in your area must be pretty dry...

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:15 PM
It's a QUEER Migration ?

I wasn't aware of THAT.

Are there some stats to that effect ?

The Homo stuff aside, I have no problem with those of ANY race who come to the Land of Liberty (or what's left of Liberty) LEGALLY.

And, NO concern for those who do so Illegally.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
migrant deaths

Human beings. I would guess you'd do the same if you were in their shoes, but you're not.

Love,
Me

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:31 PM
Walk a Mile in their Shoes

And you'd leave them barefoot in the Hot Desert.

THAT would be too cruel.

Besides, what are the odds that the shoes would fit ?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Mr. Bill, nice to see that you continue to a racist homophobic idiot.....some things never change.........the gene pool in your area must be pretty dry...

Exactly Terry. Thanks for pointing that out. FYI: He, (Mr. BM) loves the attention as he never got it as a child.

How a Mexican and black hater survives on this board is pretty incredible in this day and age. I guess free speech is still alive and well. Good for that, but the man (BM) is nothing more than a premature idiotic piece of dog excretion. Always feeling sorry for you BM man.

Having said that, I know it's not your fault BM, it was your parents fault, so you're not completely guilty -- in a way -- we are all. Don't fret - we shall clean it up over the next future generations.

Ateo

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:46 PM
It's certainly a RELIEF .....................

To know that those (or, at least one of those) whom I consider Crap have an Enlightened attitude.

Sincerely.

I mean that.

Sure.

In ANY case, I don't have (or express) animosity towards ANYBODY based on their Race, Religion or Origins but, rather their Individual acts and attitudes.

Other than those Islam guys.

And, I'm willing to concede that the one-percent of those who are OK are being given a bad name by the other 99 percent.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:54 PM

What are you saying Bill????

Your record speaks for itself as an burrohat.

I love you anyways, as I know your condition is not your fault.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Human beings. I would guess you'd do the same if you were in their shoes, but you're not.

That's right. I'm not, so why try to score debate points by mentioning it with a pointless guess !!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 06:34 AM

Quote:
From FNS News

“Our hope is that policy makers will consider the data presented in this report as they debate what is arguably the single most important piece of immigration legislation in nearly three decades,” the report’s authors conclude.

email:fnsnews@nmsu.edu

I can't see how the data presented in this report would affect the immigration legislation.

It's a horrible story, people dying of thirst and exposure, maybe murder in the desert. I imagine most knew what they were getting into when they started the journey, and took the chance.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
libby

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 06:37 AM

Good read, for anyone wanting more info on this subject, "The Devils Highway", by Luis Alberto Urrea.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by libby
Good read, for anyone wanting more info on this subject, "The Devils Highway", by Luis Alberto Urrea.

More political than humane.
I'm just worn out with the tunnel vision, open borders crowd.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 07:53 AM

So Dennis, what's your immigration plan? We'd all like to hear it. I can tell you're passionate about this subject.

Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Naw, It's Bush's fault.:lol:

Why do Liberals insist and demand that achievers pay the way for nonachievers who are to lazy to succeed, or are just failures by their own choice?

Criminals prefer unarmed victims, dictators prefer unarmed subjects.

Why do ignorant people continue their blabbering when it only proves to others how stupid they are.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 08:22 AM

These deaths are indeed tragic but I would suggest it speaks to the need to ensure further control of the border to prevent these tragic events and also the need to improve the process for LEGAL immigration.

I find it interesting that so many of the questions posted on this forum pertain to trying to get a better understanding of the legal requirements of our host country to ensure we are in compliance yet when someone suggests that others abide by the laws of the US they are called a homophobic racist.

[Edited on 6-8-2013 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
So Dennis, what's your immigration plan? We'd all like to hear it. I can tell you're passionate about this subject.

The plan which I subscribe to is in place. Do as my grandparents did from Ireland, apply and enter legally.
Thanks for noticing I'm passionate about obeying the law. Unlike some others, probably you included, I don't feel that's too much to ask.
Let us know how you feel about that, and try to be specific.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.