BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Not having a tourist permit - how bad is it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-12-2004 at 11:37 PM
Not having a tourist permit - how bad is it?

If a person wants to go to BOLA for about two weeks without a tourist permit, what is the real risk? How many people have been asked to show their permit between TJ and BOLA? When coming back, a person could always say they are coming back from a 2 day trip in SF. I know it is a bad thing, but I really want to know about the risks. If I were to stay longer, I would not question getting the permit, but when traveling takes so much gas, it feels as if there is not enough money to take care of other stuff like insurance. Please understand.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-12-2004 at 11:52 PM

I wonder what percentage of tourists from the U.S. do this sort of thing. And yes, I'm posting anonymously. I'm not very proud of what I'm thinking of doing.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-12-2004 at 11:59 PM

Nobody checks for them in the state of Baja CA. (Norte).

Nobody from Mexico asks you how long you were there before crossing back into the U.S.

However, do you want to be an illegal alien? If you do get into a jam, isn't it better to be legal?

The Law (maybe): Any stay, anywhere in Mexico over 72 hours requires one. Any trip south of Punta Banda (near Ensenada) or San Felipe requires one... maybe.

Why do I say maybe now? Because a representitive of the Dept. of Tourism for Baja stated in an interview on Baja Talk Radio that all of Baja (norte) was border zone, no card needed... The problem is immigration is not a state issue, it's a federal issue. The tourism dept. wants as many gringos to come south as possible, and stupid bureaucracy and fees/taxes keep people from Mexico... so that is perhaps why they say no card, no problema!

The solution: Get a damn tourist card. For up to a week they are now FREE. For up to 6 mos. they are around U.S. $20. Pull over into secondary as soon as you cross into Mex. (use far right lane 'something to declare'). Walk to the offices facing the covered parking and go to the door marked INM... with your birth cert. + photo ID or passport.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 12:00 AM

The real risk is that something may happen where the authorities may want to see your paperwork. If you don't have it, that might be a bad thing.

I am more comfortable having all my paperwork together when I visit a foreign country. Then you can relax and enjoy yourself and not be all paranoid unable to sleep at night and wondering if any one in a uniform will all of a suden stop you and ask for documentation proving that you are 'legal' and all that. You willl end up having a lousy time and wishing you had instead gone to visit your cousins at thier place, or something

We have been down to Baja Sur numerous times and the ONLY place we have ever been asked for a tourist visa is the border at Guerrero Negro (they were checking them at Maneadero for a while several years ago, no longer).

There also has been some debate as to whether or not your insurance would be valid if you were found to be in the country illegally. I have actually never tried to pursue that line of questioning with my insurance company because it does not pertain to me.

I would strongly suggest that if it is a permit or insurance please spend the money on the insurance, but get the legal aid.

We can maybe start a fundraiser. I will kick in the first $1.00 toward your tourist permit. Where do I mail it?

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 12:03 AM

Hey! If you are going for two weeks get a 7-day free one then you further reduce your risk of exposure to a level where at least the first week you can relax then the second you can be all nervous and what not.

MAGA

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 05:55 AM
BIRTH CERTIFICATE

David K,

ISN'T A PASSPORT A REQUIREMENT NOW??

Anyone know for sure?

Vikingo
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 06:33 AM

It is worth getting one. I have been asked before by the immigration officials before that periodically visit known tourist towns - fortunately I had mine.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 08:05 AM

Vikingo....

First a question....do you wear a hat with horns??? Do your fire buddies know???
:lol::lol:

No passport needed if you drive.
Only a drivers license.
Too many people cross the border everyday for work.

You do need a passport if you fly to major airports..the FAA has strict rules now.

We think you should get a tourist visa for 14 days only to protect yourself in an accident or other police action.:yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 08:46 AM

If you go into B.C.S they check everyone crossing the state Line . they also walk the beaches and check and fine violators.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 10:50 AM
TOURIST PERMIT ... (VISA) .....

I drove down to SANTA ROSALIA with alex37 in september.He moved to TODOS SANTOS permanently. We stopped at the border where he got his 180 day VISA but I waited until GUERRERO NEGRO to get mine. I told them that I would only be in BAJA SUR for less than 7 days. I was given a VISA for 30 days and instructed to go to a bank and pay the FEE if I decided to stay longer than 7 days.

So i got a VISA and didn't have to pay for it ..... the only problem for me was that I stayed in B. SUR for over two weeks and didn't stop at the bank on the way back. I got a ride in an SUV at the military inspection north of SAN IGNACIO ..... heading to TIJUANA. As I approached the inspection at G. NEGRO ... I was trying to figure out what to say when we stopped for VISA checks. Didn't happen .... we just drove straight thru .... past the EAGLE and on to TJ. I guess that I dodged the bullet ... one more time .....

Get yourself a VISA but tell them you will be down south for less than 7 days ....

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 11:33 AM

Observation

When we last entered the little immigration office at the San Ysidro border (in March) to fill out our forms for our tourist permits we saw on the wall a notice that stated that soon a passport would be required to obtain a tourist permit.

Have not been back since.

Soon is open to interpretation?

MAGA

cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 01:31 PM
PASSPORT ....

On the same trip as above .... We entered the ESTADOS UNIDOS at the TJ crossing and were asked for our papers .... the driver had a PASSPORT and I could only find my california DRIVERS LICENSE for this trip south. The inspector asked me what information that he was supposed to get off my license ..?????? After a short pause I told him that there was NOTHING on it that he could use ..... He did ask me where I was born ..... He told me that since 9-11 the INS is now a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY and as of the first of the year ..... EVERYONE is going to need a PASSPORT to enter the US......

So to make a short story long .......

The GATO is correct .... I heard it too ....:bounce::bounce::bounce: at the border .....

:o:smug:;D:rolleyes::wow::P:P

[Edited on 11-13-2004 by cristobal]
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 01:35 PM
PASSPORT

So I guess that we are going to need a PASSPORT to get in OR out of BAJA .....

I misread GATO'S response .... the first time ...:bounce::bounce:

:):smug::rolleyes:;D:wow::P:P
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 08:59 PM

About the passport. Find it interesting and doubt it comes fully into play. We are going on a cruise in a week for a week to Baja and mainland and have triple confirmed that a passport is not required. 3 of 4 will have current one will have expired....but again not required.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2004 at 01:51 PM

I guess you can believe what you want ..... but when I crossed the border into the US the end of SEPTEMBER and was told by the inspector that PASSPORTS will be required as of the first of the year .... I believe him .... :bounce:
He knows more about those things than I do ....

:o:smug::yawn::O:wow:;D:P:P
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-14-2004 at 06:06 PM

comical, with a little over 6 weeks 'til P-day, you'd think that the govt would start announcing the change in requirements. i'd hate to be coming north new years day and be refused entry...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-14-2004 at 06:43 PM

Nope... as an American, you cannot be denied entry back into YOUR country.

The traffic at the border is far too great to close it to non-passport holders.

There would be State Dept. bulletins and somebody here is sure to see and post any such warning.

But, we are at war... and anything's possible!!!:lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2004 at 08:57 PM

If you complain about the illegals in the US, don't be one in Mexico.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2004 at 08:59 PM

I agree with Bajalou- obey the law and get your permit.

Zac

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 08:18 AM

And how many illegal aliens in the US would get a "tourist permit" if the US had a similar requirement?
I think very few. It would generate some money though if complied with....5,000,000 in California alone x $40/year = $200,000,000.

And that is the ONLY reason for the "tourist permit" anyway...Generating cash for the Mexican Government.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.