Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Senate Immigration: Lawmakers Close In On Border Security Deal
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 01:05 PM
Senate Immigration: Lawmakers Close In On Border Security Deal

From The AP

WASHINGTON -' After secretive talks, key senators expressed optimism Wednesday night that they were closing in on a bipartisan agreement to toughen the border security requirements in immigration legislation that also offers a path to citizenship to millions living in the country illegally.

Under the emerging compromise, the government would grant legal status to immigrants living in the United States unlawfully at the same time the additional security was being put into place. Green cards, which signify permanent residency status, would be withheld until the security steps were complete.

If agreed to, the change has the potential to give a powerful boost to the immigration bill that is at the top of President Barack Obama's second-term domestic agenda.

The developments came as Democrats who met with House Speaker John Boehner during the day quoted him as saying he expects the House to pass its own version of an immigration bill this summer and for Congress to have a final compromise by year's end. Boehner, R-Ohio, has already said the legislation that goes to the House in the next month or two will not include a pathway to citizenship for those in the United States illegally.

Precise details of the pending agreement in the Senate were unavailable, but Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D., said it involved a major increase of resources to the border, including more manpower, fencing and technology. The underlying legislation already envisions more border agents; additional fencing along the U.S-Mexico border; surveillance drones; a requirement for employers to verify the legal status of potential workers; as well as a biometric system to track foreigners who enter and leave the United States at air and seaports and by land.

"Our whole effort has been to build a bipartisan group that will support the bill," said Hoeven, who has not yet stated a position on the legislation. "That's what this is all about, and it's focused on border security."

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., one of the bill's most prominent supporters, said discussions with Republicans "have been really productive. We've made a lot of progress in the last 24 hours. Now we have some vetting to do with our respective allies."

The potential compromise came into focus one day after the Congressional Budget Office jolted lawmakers with an estimate saying that as drafted, the legislation would fail to prevent a steady increase in the future in the number of residents living in the United States illegally.

The estimate appeared to give added credibility to Republicans who have been pressing Democrats to toughen the border security provisions already written into the bill. Schumer and Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., met at midday with Hoeven, and Republican Sens. Bob Corker of Tennessee, John McCain of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina. The Democrats, McCain and Graham are part of the so-called bipartisan Gang of Eight that drafted the bill.

If ratified, the compromise would mark concessions on both sides.

Some Republicans have been unwilling to support a bill that grants legal status to immigrants in the country illegally until the government certifies that the border security steps have achieved 90 percent effectiveness in stopping would-be border crossers.

On the other hand, Democrats have opposed Republican proposals to make legalization contingent on success in closing the border to illegal crossings. Under the legislation as drafted, legalization could begin as soon as a security plan was drafted, but a 10-year wait is required for a green card.

One plan to change that was sidetracked during the day on a vote of 61-37.

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., said his proposal would require Congress to vote annually for five years on whether the border is secure. If lawmakers decide it is not, "then the processing of undocumented workers stops until" it is, he said. The decision would be made based on numerous factors, including progress toward completion of a double-layered fence along the U.S.-Mexico border and toward a goal of 95 percent capture of illegal entrants. A system to track the border comings and goings of foreigners is also required.

Only a day earlier, the CBO had cheered supporters of the bill with an estimate that it would help the economy and reduce deficits in each of the next two decades.

Now it was the skeptics' turn to crow.

"Illegality will not be stopped, but it will only be reduced by 25 percent," said Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., referring to the prediction by the non-partisan CBO.

While the public debate was taking place, lawmakers involved in the private talks expressed optimism.

"We're on the verge of doing something dramatic on the border," Graham told reporters. "What we're trying to do is put in place measures that to any reasonable person would be an overwhelming effort to secure our border. This is a key moment in the effort to pass the bill."

Across the Capitol, House Republican leaders sought to present a friendlier face to Hispanics - a group that gave Obama more than 70 percent support in last year's presidential election.

Boehner met with the Democratic-dominated Congressional Hispanic Caucus, while rank and file members of his party reviewed areas of agreement with faith-based Latino leaders.

"It's a conversation Republicans want to have," Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash., said later at a news conference outside the Capitol.

At the same time, though, anti-immigration protesters moved across the Capitol plaza into range of television cameras, raising signs that said, "Do Not Reward Criminals" and "No Amnesty for Illegal Aliens."

Separately, the House Judiciary Committee worked on legislation creating a program allowing farm workers to come to the United States to take temporary jobs in the United States.

The measure is one of several that the panel is considering in the final weeks of June as part of a piece-by-piece approach to immigration rather than the all-in-one bill that Senate is considering.

In addition to border security measures and a pathway to citizenship for millions of immigrants in the country illegally, the Senate bill provides more visas for highly-skilled workers prized by the technology industry, a guest worker farm program and a new program for lower-skilled workers to come to the United States."

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 01:14 PM

I still can't understand why these guys are so hung up on citizenship when most of these workers couldn't care less. In fact, most of them probably love their own country in spite of what they think of their leaders.
Why can't we cultivate citizens who want to be citizens, and workers who only want to work?
We don't see Mexico forcing citizenship on foreigners.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 05:04 PM

I just read an interview with a former Border Patrol agent who live right on the border. I have to say that I really agree with his assessment.

We can never achieve 100% closure of the border. As things currently stand, we are doing a Helluva job. Net migration is negative.

The dirty secret is that the Republicans who are pushing for this tens of billions of dollar appropriation are simply doing it at the behest of lobbyists seeking to make a bundle from private contracting firms. Sound familiar?
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

The dirty secret is that the Republicans who are pushing for this tens of billions of dollar appropriation are simply doing it at the behest of lobbyists seeking to make a bundle from private contracting firms. Sound familiar?

And on the other side of the aisle, the liberals want to reward bad behavior (illegal entry, visa overstays) with citizenship, benefits, drivers licenses, no ID voting rights and health care for........votes.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 06:44 PM
Senatorial Political Posturing

Whatever comes out of it isn't going to pass in the House.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
I just read an interview with a former Border Patrol agent who live right on the border. I have to say that I really agree with his assessment.

We can never achieve 100% closure of the border. As things currently stand, we are doing a Helluva job. Net migration is negative.

I agree with your first 2 paragraphs, but totally not your 3rd paragraph.

When the economy cranks up in the USA, the illegal's will start moving north, just as in the past. That potential and inevitable flood of humanity has to be held in check, as best we can, and the legal path to to workers from the south must be streamlined, as well as the path to possible USA citizenship.

I TOTALLY support "legal" citizenship for aliens!!!

Barry
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry

Do you think it should be mandatory?
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I still can't understand why these guys are so hung up on citizenship.

I will go out on a limb here and say.....VOTES!!

Lawmakers KNOW exactly why illegal immigrants come to the USA, know exactly how they get there, know exactly the huge problems it has created and continues to create.......yet they ignore it all for........VOTES!!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali

I will go out on a limb here and say.....VOTES!!

I suppose you're right, but in Mexico, the people are almost forced to vote. They have registered voters cards and they, especially business owners, have to vote or be denied privileges if they don't. In the states, they'll have a choice whether or not to vote so it won't be a pretty sight to watch the votes being bought at taxpayer expense.

I'm starting to appreciate Robotics, more and more, and if someone would design a robot that could build a fence, I think our problems would be half solved.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 08:52 AM

where's the fence?

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 08:55 AM

Quote:

Yes and I just bet you that Halliburton is up to the task. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 08:58 AM
Smoke and Mirrors Pandering

By Both sides for the benefit of their own interest groups.

The Senate Republicans are looking forward to the 2016 National battle.

The House GOP is focused on the 2014 District elections.

The political calculus for 2014 re-elections favors holding fast.

Simple math.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Barry

I am not sure what you are referring too, Dennis. Here is what I support------:

(1) Secure the border as best we can, using whatever methods it reasonably takes, with main input from the existing Border Patrol officials as to how to accomplish this.. (not politicians)

(2) a streamlined path to citizenship without passing up those already in the "system". (In other words reform the system to speed things up---for everybody)

(3) a "work permit system" or Visa that is enforced and positively monitored, with time limits for ALL aliens, including students, etc...and that includes E-verify for businesses, and mandatory "tracking" for those here temporarily.

(4) a sensible (there is the rub) & faster path to citizenship for those illegals already here that desire it, but in no way passing up those ALREADY legally in line.

Forget all the "if's, and's, and but's" (keep it simple) as they just clog up the system and make things unworkable and confusing for everybody. In that sense make it "mandatory" to comply with these established rules and regs, but above all there has to be input to the system from the aliens, and not just leave it up to law makers to write the rules.

I strongly believe in legal immigration. Also, realistically under the circumstances that you all are aware of, the 10's of thousands of illegal immigrants already here must have a reasonable (that word again) and fast path to citizenship or deportation, and we must stop gumming up the works by screaming the word "amnesty" since EVERYBODY is guilty for the now existing situation----EVERYBODY.

That's my take, anyway, as a Republican and strong supporter of the 'rule of law'.

Barry
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 09:24 AM

Be thankful they are Catholics ........ just saying

Good points ...... I like Robots too :biggrin:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

I am not sure what you are referring too, Dennis.

It seems these debates in congress invariably begin with comments on immigrants becoming citizens.
Is it going to be a requirement that they do this, or will they be able to stay with a green card, alien resident status?

I look at our status in Mexico..."Permanent Resident"......while nothing is said about becoming citizens of the country in spite of the ability to do so being there.

I think it's ridiculous to force a person to go through the citizenship process against their heartfelt will, and if I had to guess, I'd say most of them don't want anything to do with it and would prefer to remain as citizens in good standing of the country they were born in and continue to love, as well as pledge allegiance to.
What good is a brotherhood of Americans who don't want to be Americans?
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
where's the fence?
... and why is Congress only concerned with securing the southern border? Don't they know that Canadians also want to come to the US to take those jobs that nobody else wants?:lol:

Bob Durrell
DaliDali
Super Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-23-2013 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
where's the fence?

The liberal legislators don't want no stinkin fence!!

It flies in the face of their "peaches and cream compassion"......which just happens to get them VOTES!!

In sectors of the border where there is an actual people resistant fence, the apprehensions are down. Proof positive that a fence "works".

In the back country of San Diego County near Tecate, that fence is just some barbed wire strung between metal fence posts with a sign....."welcome to the USA" hung on it.
I used to jump it while hunting quail in that area.

As water flows towards the least resistance, so do people looking to make the leap.

To those who say "well, apprehensions are way down, we don't need any more fence"
Go ask that rancher in Southern Arizona or along the Rio Grande river in Texas about that.
Heck.....just go ask the residents of Boulevard or Jacumba, in San Diego Counties back country, how many illegal crossers they see scrambling through the tomato patches on any given week.

The big problem as I see it, is the liberal side of the US Congress does NOT want more fence......to do so would fly in the face of their "cookies and cream compassion" and pro immigration groups would nail them to the cross.......not with nails, but with less votes.

Everyone of those legislators, including the proverbial fire hydrant, knows what to do here.
Yet very few of them actually have the cojones, or political will to do it.

It's a hot button issue to be sure....stay tuned, it's going to get hotter.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

I am not sure what you are referring too, Dennis. Here is what I support------:

(1) Secure the border as best we can, using whatever methods it reasonably takes, with main input from the existing Border Patrol officials as to how to accomplish this.. (not politicians)

(2) a streamlined path to citizenship without passing up those already in the "system". (In other words reform the system to speed things up---for everybody)

(3) a "work permit system" or Visa that is enforced and positively monitored, with time limits for ALL aliens, including students, etc...and that includes E-verify for businesses, and mandatory "tracking" for those here temporarily.

(4) a sensible (there is the rub) & faster path to citizenship for those illegals already here that desire it, but in no way passing up those ALREADY legally in line.

Forget all the "if's, and's, and but's" (keep it simple) as they just clog up the system and make things unworkable and confusing for everybody. In that sense make it "mandatory" to comply with these established rules and regs, but above all there has to be input to the system from the aliens, and not just leave it up to law makers to write the rules.

I strongly believe in legal immigration. Also, realistically under the circumstances that you all are aware of, the 10's of thousands of illegal immigrants already here must have a reasonable (that word again) and fast path to citizenship or deportation, and we must stop gumming up the works by screaming the word "amnesty" since EVERYBODY is guilty for the now existing situation----EVERYBODY.

That's my take, anyway, as a Republican and strong supporter of the 'rule of law'.

Barry

Amen to that Mr Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

It seems these debates in congress invariably begin with comments on immigrants becoming citizens.
Is it going to be a requirement that they do this, or will they be able to stay with a green card, alien resident status?

I look at our status in Mexico..."Permanent Resident"......while nothing is said about becoming citizens of the country in spite of the ability to do so being there.

I think it's ridiculous to force a person to go through the citizenship process against their heartfelt will, and if I had to guess, I'd say most of them don't want anything to do with it and would prefer to remain as citizens in good standing of the country they were born in and continue to love, as well as pledge allegiance to.

Excellent point, Dennis, and I agree. I see nothing off the top of my head wrong with "resident alien" status as long as the Gov. knows the status and location of said alien, and has a system in place for tracking them that they actually use.

Barry
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Excellent point, Dennis, and I agree. I see nothing off the top of my head wrong with "resident alien" status as long as the Gov. knows the status and location of said alien, and has a system in place for tracking them that they actually use.

Barry

Sounds good to me......however the main draw is to give those folks citizenship so they can vote!!
After all, one does have to be a citizen to vote yeah?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.