Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Senate Immigration: Lawmakers Close In On Border Security Deal
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

This is what the fence at the US - Canadian border looks like in most places.

After an elephant is trained and conditioned, you could tie him up with a piece of string and he wouldn't go anywhere.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I just don't happen to think that forcing citizenship is a way to do this..

I have never seen language that "forces" illegal immigrants to become citizens.
An option to do this at one point might be doable..as some have suggested by waiting, paying a fine and learning English.

Citizenship has never been a prerequisite to live in the USA but living there LEGALLY has been........

My wife remains a Canadian citizen but can LEGALLY live in the US because she has a US Permanent Residence card just like they are now issuing to us gringos down here. You have to be a citizen in order to vote in either country.

Bob Durrell
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 07:50 PM
Mining the Border

The most interesting proposal along those lines that I heard a few years back was to use Dye-Mines utilizing a BRIGHT indelible Dye which couldn't be washed off, but would gradually fade out over a period of days or weeks and provide a "Flag" for LE.

"Say, can you explain WHY your face is Florescent ORANGE (Purple, etc) ?"

Seems like it would have been worth a test project.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
I still can't understand why these guys are so hung up on citizenship when most of these workers couldn't care less. In fact, most of them probably love their own country in spite of what they think of their leaders.

The illegals I know would really like to become US citizens. This would allow them to move freely in the USA and stop being worried about deportation.

I know, that's not the patriotic gung ho way of the 1950's, but it's a start. The Mexicans I know in the US dig this country. Give them the opportunity to become citizens and be a part of our screwed up country like the rest of us.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 05:00 PM
Public Contractors

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

That money will line the pockets of the private contractors.

The idea of public contractors bothers me more, but I know what you're saying.
It's not what they are.....but who they are.

The corporatocracy of America creates a delicious conundrum on this issue.

On one hand big agriculture and big business want to retain low cost labor. On the other hand, the honey pot for the big defense contractors has them salivating over the prospect of huge pay days.

And to your point on private vs. public, the simple fact is that there has been a long term program to destroy the public's confidence in government. But, however inefficient one may think of government workers, the private workers are not necessarily that much more so, and are paid significantly higher wages.

I'm reminded of the current situation with that leaker guy Snowden, where it now appears he got a job with Booz Hamilton paying half a mil a year, with the express intent of stealing documents. Can't say that if his job was still retained by a public servant, this would not have happened, but it would have been much less likely. Geez. This guy was a high school dropout, and government contractor Booz Hamilton was paying him $500,000 a year. You know that a government bureaucrat would be lucky to be making 20% of that.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
This guy was a high school dropout, and government contractor Booz Hamilton was paying him $500,000 a year.

Gotta link?

He was sysadmin. I read about 100K a year, which is good considering his age. I bet he's a wiz with a keyboard.

[Edited on 6-25-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 02:42 PM
You Know What's Sad.....

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali

Does it make sense that a Mexican or a Guatemalan person, somehow makes his or her way to Canada, without touching the USA, and cross the border southbound there?

There has not been a single report of any foreign terrorists entering the US on land from Mexico, yet there are cases where they entered from Canada.

Not to mention that inasmuch as Canadians, with the exception of many in Quebec, and native English speakers, with a more Euro-centric appearance than our friends in Mexico.

But, there's nothing discriminatory happening.....;D
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-25-2013 at 03:04 PM
Sricter Enforcement to the North

I, for one, agree that we need better examination on the Canadian border.

ANYONE attempting to enter the U.S. from there should be photographed, fingerprinted, strip-searched, subject to a body-cavity inspection and have a DNA sample taken.

Those passing should then have to post a bond to insure their timely departure.

It's only fair.

And in our best interests.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.