Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Another border check?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 05:44 PM
Another border check?

I saw on another website that a Federal Investigation agency had set up checkpoints within 15 meters of the crossings in Mexicali and were doing far more intensive searches than the customs agents at Garita. The customs people went to talk with them and a heated discussion ensued. Has anyone been through this secondary checkpoint and what are they looking for?
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 05:47 PM

Not heard of it, but it sounds like its not soemthing permanent, theres a big trouble with customs agents in the Baja garitas being too corrupt, so that might be the reason for the AFI being here.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 06:14 PM

On two occasions I have crossed into Mexico at the Eastern
(Garita Oriente) Mexicali checkpoint and encountered Agents
with their vehicles forming a chokepoint just past the
established inspection area that you had to drive through.
On one occasion I was simply waved on and the other time
they stopped me long enough to look into the side window
of the camper shell. The latest of those incidents was
about 6 months ago.
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2004 at 09:36 PM

Last Wed. nite, 11/10/04, they were checking vehicles as you went thru (after green lite & after normal customs) at the east Mexicali border. They were looking for stuff that should have been declared. Better have your receipt and have paid the tax or one could have your vehicle impounded! I can see where the Aduana folks would have some arguments with these Federal dudes.

Also, the Federal Police have a check point (trailer & all) set up before Laguna Salada. Vehicle safety/registration checks?? They've always waved me thru.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 09:57 AM

Regarding checkpoints in general at this particular time, I'm sure you're aware that there is a threat of Al Queda munitions and operatives imported into the U.S. through Mexico? I'm sure that, as far as "intelligence" is disseminated to the public, this is only the tip of the iceberg.
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

biggrin.gif posted on 11-20-2004 at 03:06 PM
Al Queda: Heading the wrong way!

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Regarding checkpoints in general at this particular time, I'm sure you're aware that there is a threat of Al Queda munitions and operatives imported into the U.S. through Mexico? I'm sure that, as far as "intelligence" is disseminated to the public, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Isn't the Checkpoint mentioned on the road heading southbound/into Mexico??? Seems to me they're heading the wrong way if they're trying to smuggle stuff into the US... :)
Cameron
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-20-2004 at 03:18 PM
Dyslexia

rears it's ugly head in the fight against terrorism:lol:
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 05:30 PM
Careful, Ashcroft is still on duty and may be monitoring this website.

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

shocked.gif posted on 11-20-2004 at 07:12 PM
Big Bro...

Isn't Ashcroft the mental giant responsible for the "...Americans had better learn to watch what they say.." quote?

You'd think a high-level Cabinet official would have at least a passing aquaintance with the Constitution...

Then again, his boss still can't pronounce the word "nuclear", and he's got a few thousand nukes at his twitchy fingertips!:tumble:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.