[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 07:11 PM

you can make it if you are carful

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 07:12 PM

Hi Woody, I see you asking all over this question. I believe DRIVING SKILL has more power than 4WD. People with no driving skill can easily get a 4WD stuck... and People with driving skill can take a 2WD where others cannot.

If you are in a pickup, that is better than being in a Mustang!

Ground Clearance is very helpful and 2WD pick ups have a bit more than passenger cars.

Deep sand... really the main thing that limits 2WD access, can be overcome IF you lower the tire pressure (all four) to a point where they buldge (10-15 psi) and will 'float' on the sand... with momentum. Bring a pump to re-inflate!!!

Steep grades: Add rocks to the rear of the bed to put weight over the rear driving tires... unless your cargo is heavy enough to counter the weight of the engine over the front tires. You will be surprised what a difference tire pressure and added weight will make a pick up into a 'Jeep'!

Tires: If the tread is less than 50%, then replace them before you leave... On a budget? Pep Boys sells the Futura Dakota series at 1/3 the price of BFG All Terrains. They are made by Cooper Tire Co. ... They won't last as long as BFG's, but at that price and pro-rated for 50,000 mi. just replace them at half price at 25,000 mi. which is where mine get low. They have a Mud Terrain look alike too.

Now go and have fun... but let us know if you make it there and back!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-13-2004 at 07:54 PM

Woody,
Its been a couple of years but I remember a couple of spots where I was in 4wd and low range, one was a steep hill exiting an arroyo north of San Jose. The other bad spot was just south and east of Punta Blanca where there were very nasty silt beds. At Canoas I talked with a local at the fish camp who was concerned that I was traveling alone out there. He told me to be careful, "there are outsiders here sometimes now." In any case it is an area where I would suggest traveling with a companion vehicle just in case. I've been out there twice by myself and don't think I'll do that again. I'm getting a little more cautious than I used to be.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2004 at 09:26 AM
And the u.s.!

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 02:13 PM

Woody,

Although I drive a 4x4, the last time I did the Seven Sisters run, I never even locked up (except for a side trip to a very remote location). As others have said, driving skill, clearence and tire pressure are key elements. And although I have done the entire run solo, I doubt I'll do that again. The big question mark in my mind is the weather. If you get any rain at all, then the silt beds and tidal flats become so very slippery that even with 4x4 they can be dicey. The long and short of it is, how much adventure do you want? Just my $.02.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 08:16 PM
Woody

when are you heading south. I know there are some OBceans that head that way every other T-day or so.

Union thug.
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 10:33 AM
2wd

woody -

Been there 4 times. Posted some info on the other Canoas' thread.

suerte.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.