Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: equipment question
huesos
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 01:07 PM
equipment question

It's been a long time. All my equipment is gone. I need to ask the opinion of the board on which is the best brand to procure in the following categories:
Ice chest large volume
Stove light weight
Cot for outdoor sleeping
Tent for Winter use light weight
I will be using these for truck camping on the coast.
If I have left something out, let me know.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 02:27 PM

There's a million brands for camping equipment. Generally, you get what you pay for.

Travel light and make sure you have real comfortable sleeping arrangements. Be prepared for wind, lots of it. Flying, biting insects too.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by huesos
It's been a long time. All my equipment is gone. I need to ask the opinion of the board on which is the best brand to procure in the following categories:
Ice chest large volume
Stove light weight
Cot for outdoor sleeping
Tent for Winter use light weight
I will be using these for truck camping on the coast.
If I have left something out, let me know.

Pelican is the best ice chest I have ever owned with a 7 or 8 day minimum ice hold in Baja. They are well designed for travel and have a lifetime warranty against anything so it's a one-time buy deal even though they are expensive.
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 02:34 PM

Ice chest large volume- Yeti

Stove light weight- MSR(backpacking), PartnerSteel(car camping)

Cot for outdoor sleeping- Roll-a-cot (Get the Roll-a-table also)

Tent for Winter use light weight- The North Face
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 02:40 PM

2 smaller ice chests may be better than 1 big one. 1 you will open a lot for drinks, the other you hope you will only open 1 time a day, or less, for food. Saves ice. Also a really big ice chest is a pain to move. The REALLY good ice chests will keep ice longer, but are REALLY expensive.
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 03:59 PM

Re: Cot for outdoor sleeping, I continue to use an old wood/canvas army cot . . . folds back on itself. A friend just purchased one in aluminum. Not light. Still like mine.

Have a look at Pendleton's roll up blanket. Works well with a light bag. I use two for flexability. Stay simple.

P.S. Dang it . . . Welcome to Nomad!

[Edited on 6-24-2013 by bajacalifornian]

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 04:11 PM

Coleman :cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
They are having a sale right now:

http://enews.coleman.com/q/FYSnLXIRl4GxR38lCC-DYqN4g58LGT-TV...

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 04:28 PM
Why even mess with ice?

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
2 smaller ice chests may be better than 1 big one. 1 you will open a lot for drinks, the other you hope you will only open 1 time a day, or less, for food. Saves ice. Also a really big ice chest is a pain to move. The REALLY good ice chests will keep ice longer, but are REALLY expensive.

If you can afford this $529 baby from Home Depot you will be set:

This Whynter Portable Fridge / Freezer offers premium quality and innovative design to your frozen/refrigerated needs. This freezer is great for RVs, boats, campsites, fishing trips and is truly portable so you can take your fridge / freezer anywhere! All you need is either a standard household 110 Volt outlet or a 12 Volt power source, like an automotive battery. Whether on a day trip or major expedition, you can easily keep your food and beverages chilled, or frozen with this benchtop freezer. The Whynter portable freezers should not to be confused with less effective 12 volt novelty and beverage type "coolers". The Whynter portable freezer / fridge is a true freezer / refrigerator which cools between -8°F to 50°F. A cost effective and mobile solution for your recreational and critical freezing requirements.

•65 qt. or 107 cans (12 fl. oz.) capacity
•Compressor cooling system, which operates as a refrigerator or freezer
•Adjustable temperature range -8 degrees Fahrenheit to 50 degrees Fahrenheit
•Fast Freeze mode rapidly cools to -8F
•Voltage power AC (110V - 75W / 2.5A) or DC (12V - 4.5A Car Lighter Socket)
•LED temperature control and display
•Functions even when tilted 30 degree
•Tough and solid outer casing with side handles
•Two removable wire baskets
•MFG Model # : FM-65G
•MFG Part # : FM-65G

Bob Durrell
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 05:06 PM

ice chest = 52 quart Xtreme chest -- 1.5 weeks with frozen 12 oz water bottles(Coleman product).
stove = msr pocket rocket -- part of my 9 lb. desert setup(tent, bag, pad)
tent = 3 person Sierra Designs dome tent (Zilla may be it now) Kearsarge
to Whitney, spring snow camping use cords that wrap rocks or (parachute
rock holders in place of stakes)
cot = coleman with large cell foam pad on top is very nice.\\

Junaito

[Edited on 6-25-2013 by JohnMcfrog]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014

If you can afford this $529 baby from Home Depot you will be set:

This Whynter Portable Fridge / Freezer offers premium quality and innovative design to your frozen/refrigerated needs. This freezer is great for RVs, boats, campsites, fishing trips and is truly portable so you can take your fridge / freezer anywhere! All you need is either a standard household 110 Volt outlet or a 12 Volt power source, like an automotive battery. Whether on a day trip or major expedition, you can easily keep your food and beverages chilled, or frozen with this benchtop freezer. The Whynter portable freezers should not to be confused with less effective 12 volt novelty and beverage type "coolers". The Whynter portable freezer / fridge is a true freezer / refrigerator which cools between -8°F to 50°F. A cost effective and mobile solution for your recreational and critical freezing requirements.

•65 qt. or 107 cans (12 fl. oz.) capacity
•Compressor cooling system, which operates as a refrigerator or freezer
•Adjustable temperature range -8 degrees Fahrenheit to 50 degrees Fahrenheit
•Fast Freeze mode rapidly cools to -8F
•Voltage power AC (110V - 75W / 2.5A) or DC (12V - 4.5A Car Lighter Socket)
•LED temperature control and display
•Functions even when tilted 30 degree
•Tough and solid outer casing with side handles
•Two removable wire baskets
•MFG Model # : FM-65G
•MFG Part # : FM-65G

You have a link to one like that, but runs on propane, as well? 4baja showed me his Fridge/ Freeze at Camp Gecko back about 10 years ago... 110v, 12vDC, and propane! It wasn't big, but since you don't need ice, it doesn't have to be.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 05:30 PM

This tent has been the greatest thing ever... I can put it up or take it down easily, by myself, in a couple of minutes! Tall enough to stand in, too...

Coleman 10' x 9' 'Instant Tent' ("sleeps 6")

[Edited on 6-25-2013 by David K]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 05:35 PM

I would shop REI for a tent. Knowlegable staff to help. I have a Sierra Designs but their brand is excellent too. Same advice for stoves.

Ken

You need a sturdy tent for Baja!!!

[Edited on 6-25-2013 by tripledigitken]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 05:35 PM

Quote:

I disagree. I bought a Coleman 6 man dome tent and went to Bahia Concepcion for a few months. The floor ripped all along the front beneath the seam. The sun dried it out. Plus the zippers were small and fragile. Fiberglass poles. Aluminum is much better. I threw it away. Junk.

Their stoves rust. I have an all stainless steel stove now.

Their lanterns are too bright for me. I'm a hurricane lamp and head lamp kind of guy. Keep it dim.

Coleman used to be good when there wasn't much competition. It's been surpassed.

[Edited on 6-25-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 05:39 PM

I've owned a lot of tents over the years and have come to the conclusion that a cheap dome tent works just as good as the expensive ones when it comes to Baja camping. I have had both kinds and have found that the sun is what destroys them and that there is not much difference in performance, it's not like you are going to encounter heavy rain, snow or freezing temps. It's good to just get 2-3 person tents with good ventilation to limit the wind load, the big ones turn into a parachute, all you will be doing is sleeping in them anyway. If the wind comes up during the day when you are not using it just slip the poles off the ends and let it lie flat and it will save it from getting shredded or breaking the poles, and you can pop it right back up in a couple of minutes when the wind dies.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 05:44 PM

I did dome tents for years... they are fine... but, this Instant Tent from Coleman takes out the need to put together and collapse the bungee cord poles... It just unrolls, folds open, and the four legs telescope to raise. Perfect windows/ screen area, too. It wasn't expensive either.. got it at Target...

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:

I disagree. I bought a Coleman 6 man dome tent and went to Bahia Concepcion for a few months. The floor ripped all along the front beneath the seam. The sun dried it out. Plus the zippers were small and fragile. Fiberglass poles. Aluminum is much better. I threw it away. Junk.

Their stoves rust. I have an all stainless steel stove now.

Their lanterns are too bright for me. I'm a hurricane lamp and head lamp kind of guy. Keep it dim.

Coleman used to be good when there wasn't much competition. It's been surpassed.

[Edited on 6-25-2013 by SFandH]

"rusty stoves" display character, and lots of use-----all my stoves are rusty, and have lots of character, and are propane.

I use propane lanterns by Coleman, with adjustable flame so that you can totally control light output.

All my camping equipment, including Coleman products, is in excess of 40 years old and is all going strong. I have almost never used tents, tho, as I am claustophobic. We use big wide cots in the open, or stay inside our tiny camper when too windy or rainy, and heavy canvas on telescoping steel poles and industrial springs between the poles and the canvas (to absorb wind-shock), with steel construction stakes holding the guy-lines, for shade if we need it.

In my opinion, keep it simple and you will have a better time of it, but not so simple that it falls apart in the wind.

Barry
Sean&Kelly

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 07:57 PM

Go to rei.com. REI stands behind all of their products and have great customer service.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 08:11 PM

I find lower profile tents much better in baja winds...not a high dome tent....and I agree about no matter what the cost, they dont last long in the sun and wind...I buy a tent every 2 years at segundas and usually pay around 400 pesos for one...a good one with lower profile.

We also use the 2 regular size cooler system...one of those silver 7 day ones jut for ice and things you dont use often so you arent opening it all the time and another for daily use..make certain they have the drain spout on the bottom and keep that open at all times so the water drips out...I put the cooler up on something so the drips go into a pan I use for dishwater or dog water.

I LOVE my solar lamp and flashlight for camping too...headlamps for cooking...we dont bring a stove at all...just a grill and we make a BBQ pit of rocks to set the grill on...we are low maintenance campers.

[Edited on 6-25-2013 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean&Kelly
Go to rei.com. REI stands behind all of their products and have great customer service.
REI=Return Every Item. I went to REI to buy a new pair of shoes, the ones I happened to be wearing were ones I also purchased at REI and were falling apart after wearing them to work everyday for a year, I told the sales girl that I wanted another pair like them, she asked me if I had purchased them there, I said yes and she told me to ask for a refund, I ended up walking out of the store with a new pair of $120 shoes for $12, the difference between what I paid for the worn out ones and the price of the new pair. They do stand behind the things they sell.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.