Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: equipment question
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 04:45 PM

For tents, I've liked North Face, Sierra Designs............and for a big modified dome, I like Eureka! tents.

Costco had some knockoff Slumberjack cots for 1/3 the price of the Slumberjack cots. Really sturdy, but not that light. I still prefer to use a Thermarest on the cot to prevent the sag when you sleep on your side. The REI brand of "Thermarest" is a great value.

MSRs are great backpacking stoves but I always had trouble getting them to simmer. I still have an old reliable Coleman propane stove. It's rust has rust.

REI is just the greatest damn store. Luv the place. Been a member since membership was 5.00.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 05:27 PM

huesos, ask your friends and neighbor's if you can barrow some stuff. Take care of it and figure out what you like.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by huesos
Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. All of my experience was with the least expensive type of equipment. All of it worked but it was good to read about better grades of basic gear. Not much has changed with Baja truck camping for surf except for the shear thrill of discovery in being one of the first at a perfect break. Now I am getting closer to taking on the trip again. I look forward to running into some of you on the peninsula.

Likewise... Please keep us in the loop on your trips!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Add a SunShower to your list. They heat fast in the Baja sun and are great for washing salt off after swimming, or whatever.

Yesssss, sunshowers are just great. My wife and I find that the little 3 gallon one is perfect for both of us-----get wet then turn off the sunshower----shampoo and soap up with bio-degradable soap (Camp Suds)------then rinse off fast. Makes you feel like a king!!! (or queen, in my wife's case). :biggrin: Barry

prell shampoo will lather in salt water and costs about a buck! not as green as camp soap but i doubt it really matters....

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-13-2013 at 07:29 AM

Great big ice chest weigh a lot,don,t forget a gorilla or two to lift them in your truck.
captkwbn

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 09:11 AM
outdoor gear !

As I have lived on the road most of my life. I have found the "ZODI" shower system works the best and the coleman dual fuel 533 for HOT cooking with a MSR wisper light great for low temp cooking/heating...self inflating air beds like a THERMAREST..and the first thing I do when I buy a new tent is throw away the stakes...they are useless IMO..."back in the sandbox"....LOL...K&T:cool:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Add a SunShower to your list. They heat fast in the Baja sun and are great for washing salt off after swimming, or whatever.

Yesssss, sunshowers are just great. My wife and I find that the little 3 gallon one is perfect for both of us-----get wet then turn off the sunshower----shampoo and soap up with bio-degradable soap (Camp Suds)------then rinse off fast. Makes you feel like a king!!! (or queen, in my wife's case). :biggrin: Barry

prell shampoo will lather in salt water and costs about a buck! not as green as camp soap but i doubt it really matters....

if fresh water limited, try 2 sunshowers. first with salt water for soaping up. second with fresh water for final soaping up and rinsing off.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 3-27-2014 at 03:17 PM

The best deadman for tying down canopies and tents is a piece of plywood about 8"x8" with a hole drilled through the center and a yellow nylon rope pulled through and tied. Dig a hole and bury it. Use the tag end of the rope to tie to whatever you want to secure. The wind will not remove it. It may destroy your tent, though. When it comes time to remove the deadman just wrap the rope around your arm and lean away and you can usually pull it out. This saved my camp many, many times at Punta Chivato when the wind picked up.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 4-10-2014 at 07:28 PM

Gosh, I can't believe this thread is still alive. Yes, we are passionate about our camping. And like others I have my, um, very strong opinions. I camp light, and usually solo. If it doesn't fit in the 4Runner it doesn't come along. And it not only needs to fit, it needs to pack only as high as the bottom of the windows so I can see out the back.

Propane, the only fuel I use. I don't use the small bottles but instead have a 10# bulk cylinder. It takes me forever to use up that much fuel and I swear I need to get the tank recertified each time I refill. With that I have a two port post, something like this: Century 30" 2 Piece Post.

I use the side port for the stove. On the top port I have an old Century Mighty-lite (#5400) lantern. This little single mantle lantern is perfect for my needs. Not very bright, small to pack, but gets dinner cooked when I land in camp late.

For a stove I've used Century/Primus. I've had issues getting parts from the company. They are always non-responsive, so I end up getting a new stove. Currently I'm using a Brunton. Of course, they are now sold/made by Primus, so I can't win. Nice stove, except for the piezo, which has never worked on any of the Primus stoves I've owned.

Tent. I camp alone, and my tent of choice is a Mountain Hardware Lightwedge 2. About a year ago I had this thought of taking a skirt along, and bought what I'm sure was the last Lightwedge 3 in existence. Love this tent.

Bakepacker. Every time I pull this thing out for a newbie they look at me like "WTF," especially when I tell them I'm making cornbread for dinner ... and they are welcome to some. Once they try it, they are hooked. I have a buddy that insisted on Bakepacker every night the last time we were in Baja. Cornbread, blueberry muffin, apple cinnamon muffin, banana bread, they all work. Just don't forget the butter.

Ice chest. Ya, I have one, but I never put ice in it. I used to, until I made a comment about having to constantly track down ice while down in Baja. A buddy loaned me his Engel fridge the next trip, and it was a done deal. Now I use my nice Coleman stainless steel 54qt chest for the canned/boxed/bagged food.

As a side note, when I used the ice chest the water was recycled into the solar showers. Those have already been discussed, so I won't.

Engel fridge. I have the 34 qt. The one I borrowed was the 45qt. It was too tall for the back of my 4Runner and I couldn't get the lid open high enough to get inside. The 34qt works fine, and for just me it is enough. I also use the remote Engel Wireless Fridge Thermometer because I got tired of freezing my eggs.

Solar panel. The fridge has a habit of killing the battery if I sit in camp. I have two choices ... run the engine every now and then ... or go solar. I have two set-ups. The first one I bought was a Zamp Solar 40W portable. It comes in a nice carry case and has a controller built in. Last year it did pretty good keeping up with two Engel fridges. This year I built my own set-up using a pair of 10W panels. I hinged them together, and didn't bother with a controller. It worked just fine. But, it wasn't too hot this year and the fridge didn't cycle very much. It's only 18" x 8 " x 2.25" folded.

To keep track of the battery I have a Martel QM 100V digital volt meter on the dash.

For a camp pad I use a thick Therm-a-Rest BaseCamp Sleeping Pad, cuz I'm not backpacking.

Finally, I carry a bunch of toys. They include: a Garmin GPSMAP 60csx to track my travels; the 60csx rides in a RAM windshield mount; Delorme inReach satellite communicator (saved my bacon); Kestrel 2000 Wind Meter, just because sometimes I want to know; a 12V AA/AAA battery charger and plenty of batteries; a Black Diamond LED headlamp; and to keep the toys charged I have a Blue Sea Dual USB Charger Socket on the dash (for tablet, phone, inReach, MP3).

For TP I used those little Kleenex pocket packs. Oh, and baby wipes ROCK!

[Edited on 4-11-2014 by Pappy Jon]

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-10-2014 at 09:08 PM
stoves

coleman 533 and other dual fuel,,I have a MSR for back packing and Baja backup..also a" EmberLit" backpacking wood burning stove that's really cool !! Igloo "extreme" coolers work well..amazing what happens when you add insulation to a cooler...LOL and only block ice !!! I dont recommend any thing that needs 12 volts,, yet..having a drained battery in the boonies ....SUCKS!!! K&T:cool:
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 06:00 AM

Hope that "wood burning stove" is not used in the High Sierra in CA, as they are prohibited above timberline. That is especially important in light of last year's fires and the potential this year even below timberline.

I have used a backpacking wood burning stove in the coastrange and in Baja, but do not like the blackened pot. Otherwise they are an alternative to a camp fire.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.