Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: South Dakota Tags
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 09:26 AM

Ok, stupid question. What's the reason for South Dakota plates, cheapest registration?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
Ok, stupid question. What's the reason for South Dakota plates, cheapest registration?

No smog or insurance requirements, for one thing..............two things.
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 09:47 AM

Heres a few more things to think about

1. The reason for the plate is that Calif. requires Ins on a vehicle even if it never driven on there roads. (such as my mexico truck that is to old to import) So if I kept it registered in Cal I would pay more for reg, haveto have it smogged and have to buy Insurance even if the car is never there.
2 One thing to remember. If your car is registered in SD but the paperwork shows a California address even a PO., if you get pulled over by the CHP (and they look for SD plates ) they can ticket you or even impound your vehicle. I know someone this happen to. You have to sign a paper with SD that you understand this.
3. For a while Cal would let you fill out a statement of facts saying that the car was in Mexico and not driven in California but they no longer allow this.

I to gave up on California and loaded up and move to mexico. So stay off my case about having SD plates. I do have to use a Cal address only because it is where I get my mail. I am looking for another way to do this
Have a nice day
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
[I to gave up on California and loaded up and move to mexico. So stay off my case about having SD plates. I do have to use a Cal address only because it is where I get my mail. I am looking for another way to do this
Have a nice day
Mick

I wasn't on your case, I simply ask a question.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 09:50 AM

2 more reasons....
Low registration fees
No sales or property tax

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 10:22 AM
Ca. Dmv.

My. car is registered in Ca. With my Ensenada address just renewed on line and they mailed my new reg.to my home in Punta Banda.
I tried to accomplish this in the local Ca. DMV office in Otay Mesa. and almost went to Jail. :lol::lol::lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 12:20 PM

Thanks folks...Got er dun.....

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 01:19 PM

The CHP pulled me over in 2008 on CA 116. Driving a Mexican national plate NISSAN with current legal MICHOACAN plates. Having a current and legal MICHOACAN driver license, both agreeing with my name. Legal and current CA approved insurance issued at the border.

The cop ran my name through the computer, and he asked me

"Your name also came up with a not expired California Driver License. Therefore I am going to cite you as being a legal resident driving an illegally registered vehicle on a California roadway".

Protests did no good. Wanna know what his answer was?

"Tell it to the judge"

I had totally ignored the point that I had a license for 5-years and that having it or not, it was still "in force".

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 02:35 PM

The implication is if one had dual citizenship and a residence in both Mexico and in the USA and if one had concurrent valid licenses in both countries and if this person had a validly Mexican registered vehicle that that person would not be allowed to drive the Mexican vehicle on California streets under any condition according to that CHP officer which implies that the officer is conducting himself as though full dual citizenship is not allowed or recognized.

Doesn't seem right. What did the judge say?

[Edited on 7-2-2013 by MitchMan]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 04:51 PM

To have a valid DL you must be a resident of the state with a valid address...therefore the requirement for the tag on the car. If you are no longer California resident you are supposed to turn your license in . One of our Abreojos residents did just that in order not to have a problem.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 05:43 PM

And he did that in South Dakota? WOW

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 06:52 PM

mailed it in to Kalifornia, chuckie
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 10:37 PM

I knew that! Just trying to be a smart burro...sorry

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 01:40 PM

I'm not sure how the other states are or if things have changed in Colorado. However, I had a neighbor (a couple of years ago) that got a ticket and eventually his motorhome impounded for having SD plates. He thought that he could win in court and hired an attorney. At trial the Colorado court had a copy of his SD application showing a Co license and Co address. (He owned the home in Colorado.) He lost and paid a substantial fine along with attorney fees. ( The motorhome was legally parked at his Co home when ticketed.) Not sure if they were cross referencing county real estate records or driver's license records etc. During that time the county was actively searching for Co vehicles with SD licenses. I'm not sure if it is still happening. Of course, for those living full time in Mexico without a residence in the US it shouldn't present a problem.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 02:12 PM

Interesting article on the subject:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120108/NEWS/301080031/L...
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 02:33 PM

I sure hope SD has a residence plus a mailing address on their registration. I want the word MEXICO! to scream out at the grinning CHP officer. I hope I wish.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
I'm not sure how the other states are or if things have changed in Colorado. However, I had a neighbor (a couple of years ago) that got a ticket and eventually his motorhome impounded for having SD plates. He thought that he could win in court and hired an attorney. At trial the Colorado court had a copy of his SD application showing a Co license and Co address. (He owned the home in Colorado.) He lost and paid a substantial fine along with attorney fees. ( The motorhome was legally parked at his Co home when ticketed.) Not sure if they were cross referencing county real estate records or driver's license records etc. During that time the county was actively searching for Co vehicles with SD licenses. I'm not sure if it is still happening. Of course, for those living full time in Mexico without a residence in the US it shouldn't present a problem.

HI Ron - I have friends who recently drove their SD plated car up from Baja to San Diego. They were stopped for a minor infraction and luckily were able to talk their way out of the discrepancy with their CA drivers license. They were let go with a warning, but it seems a risky proposition without a SD address and license if you drive back and forth.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb

HI Ron - I have friends who recently drove their SD plated car up from Baja to San Diego. They were stopped for a minor infraction and luckily were able to talk their way out of the discrepancy with their CA drivers license. They were let go with a warning, but it seems a risky proposition without a SD address and license if you drive back and forth.

Stopped where?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I sure hope SD has a residence plus a mailing address on their registration. I want the word MEXICO! to scream out at the grinning CHP officer. I hope I wish.

shouldn't be a problem if you have a valid Mexico drivers license AND a valid Mexican immigration status.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 04:01 PM

The officer will decide if its a problem or not, thats the way it works.....I bet the officer would say if you have a Mexican DL, and a Mexican resident card, why are you driving a SD car....I wouldnt want to try to talk my way out of that one....

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.