BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: South Dakota Tags
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 04:20 PM

Read my post above what happened in Cotati, CA.

California's C.V.C. has become solely revenue enhancement oriented. The CHP budget is augmented by it.

Not that long ago a friend stopped two feet into a crosswalk (deserted) in San Francisco's Marina District. The fine was 504 dollars, doubled because it was a marked construction zone. A hundred sixty some odd dollars more every six months on his insurance for three years. Two thousand dollars. Children grow up seeing asinine law like this and learn to sneer at it. It isn't law; it is predation.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb

HI Ron - I have friends who recently drove their SD plated car up from Baja to San Diego. They were stopped for a minor infraction and luckily were able to talk their way out of the discrepancy with their CA drivers license. They were let go with a warning, but it seems a risky proposition without a SD address and license if you drive back and forth.

Stopped where?

San Diego.

[Edited on 7-3-2013 by danaeb]

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
The officer will decide if its a problem or not, thats the way it works.....I bet the officer would say if you have a Mexican DL, and a Mexican resident card, why are you driving a SD car....I wouldnt want to try to talk my way out of that one....

Cali is looking for freeloaders. they can not ticket you for not having a california tag if your residence is elsewhere AND your car has only been there for a limited amount of time. The law is very clear...now if you are a resident (An address and CDL) that is a different story.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Read my post above what happened in Cotati, CA.

California's C.V.C. has become solely revenue enhancement oriented. The CHP budget is augmented by it.

Not that long ago a friend stopped two feet into a crosswalk (deserted) in San Francisco's Marina District. The fine was 504 dollars, doubled because it was a marked construction zone. A hundred sixty some odd dollars more every six months on his insurance for three years. Two thousand dollars. Children grow up seeing asinine law like this and learn to sneer at it. It isn't law; it is predation.

so where do you think they should enforce the law...and where not? I personally like it that Arizona does the same thing and tickets cars who enter the crosswalk when not allowed. Da Ya think there might be a reason for it?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb

San Diego.

Thanks. I'm glad to hear Mexico hasn't discovered a cash-cow.....yet anyway.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2013 at 08:15 AM

Hi Dana- Sonrisa says hi and she misses you!!
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 7-5-2013 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
My. car is registered in Ca. With my Ensenada address just renewed on line and they mailed my new reg.to my home in Punta Banda.
I tried to accomplish this in the local Ca. DMV office in Otay Mesa. and almost went to Jail. :lol::lol::lol:

And you had to provide proof of California Insurance, Correcto?

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2013 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
To have a valid DL you must be a resident of the state with a valid address...therefore the requirement for the tag on the car. If you are no longer California resident you are supposed to turn your license in . One of our Abreojos residents did just that in order not to have a problem.

NOT TRUE, I have a Peoples Republic of California Drivers License and have had it for the 16 years I have lived in San Felipe. All the DMV asked was for a California Mailing address, which is my PMB in Calexico. As always, when dealing with the DMV or CHP one has to know if it is their time of month (man or woman, doesn't matter).

We were in CostCo Mission Beach, CA., and a uniform police officer walked up, asked us for our card stating who the Disable Parking Placard was issued to. I informed him, who was holding my Ca Drivers License and SD Vehicle Registration that SD doesn't issue those cards. He walked over to his radio, and with a frustrated look on his face when he came back, he handed us our paperwork and said, Have a nice day.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2013 at 07:03 PM

So, wornout, the CA CHP didn't make an issue out of your driving a SD plated/registered vehicle on California streets while at the same time you had a CA drivers licence?

I thought that was not permissible. I thought that the CHP officer could/would impound your car because you had a CA drivers license driving a vehicle that you owned that was not plated/registered in California.

What gives?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2013 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wornout
Quote:
To have a valid DL you must be a resident of the state with a valid address...therefore the requirement for the tag on the car. If you are no longer California resident you are supposed to turn your license in . One of our Abreojos residents did just that in order not to have a problem.

NOT TRUE, I have a Peoples Republic of California Drivers License and have had it for the 16 years I have lived in San Felipe. All the DMV asked was for a California Mailing address, which is my PMB in Calexico. As always, when dealing with the DMV or CHP one has to know if it is their time of month (man or woman, doesn't matter).

We were in CostCo Mission Beach, CA., and a uniform police officer walked up, asked us for our card stating who the Disable Parking Placard was issued to. I informed him, who was holding my Ca Drivers License and SD Vehicle Registration that SD doesn't issue those cards. He walked over to his radio, and with a frustrated look on his face when he came back, he handed us our paperwork and said, Have a nice day.

Just my point. You claim California residence through Probably Mailbox ETC (or something similar) since they will not take a PO box.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-5-2013 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
My. car is registered in Ca. With my Ensenada address just renewed on line and they mailed my new reg.to my home in Punta Banda.
I tried to accomplish this in the local Ca. DMV office in Otay Mesa. and almost went to Jail. :lol::lol::lol:

Yes my cars are insured in Ca. I spend a lot of time up there the way I get a manageable rate I declare the Minimum miles you can drive on the policy its worked for me for 10 years.
Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 09:28 AM

Once your vehicle is in Baja with SD plates/registration what is the best way to insure it (liability only)? Can you do it through a U.S. based company?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaucho
Once your vehicle is in Baja with SD plates/registration what is the best way to insure it (liability only)? Can you do it through a U.S. based company?

Insure your drivers license with Bajabound.....see above.
Gaucho
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Insure your drivers license with Bajabound.....see above.

So I can just insure my CA. license to drive any vehicle in Baja?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 09:49 AM

Quote:

Any foreign plated vehicle with current registration. No cars with Mex plates.

http://www.bajabound.com/buy/start.php?quote_idx=05068ce6

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by DENNIS]
Gaucho
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Great, thanks Dennis.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Great, thanks Dennis.

De nada.
I added a link up there.
wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just my point. You claim California residence through Probably Mailbox ETC (or something similar) since they will not take a PO box.

AGAIN, NOT TRUE, I DID NOT CLAIM ANYTHING. Where do you read this stuff? Probably, what the hell do you mean, probably? You weren't there and I am simply stating what happened to me and as you can tell, I don't like it when people like you tell other that I didn't do what I know I did. Geez!!!

Maybe you will understand if I put it in capitals. I TOLD THE DMV CLERK THAT I DIDN'T LIVE IN CALIFORNIA, THAT I HAD MOVED FULL TIME TO MEXICO, DIDN'T OWN PROPERTY IN CALIFORNIA AS I HAD SOLD IT. I TOLD HER I AM A US CITIZEN AND HAD A CALIFORNIA MAILING ADDRESS.

wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes my cars are insured in Ca. I spend a lot of time up there the way I get a manageable rate I declare the Minimum miles you can drive on the policy its worked for me for 10 years.

Got it, that is why I dropped California (they required full time insurance now on all California registered cars), one of the cars never went to California and all I wanted was legal registration which is required for drivers license insurance. The other car only went there once a month for one night.

wornout
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 08:23 PM

Quote:

The car that stays in Baja all the time is drivers license insured. The other car is insured in both USA and Mexico, Mexico insurance company for Mexico coverage, USA company for USA insurance.

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.