Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Trip Report -- San Juanico
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 05:37 PM
Trip Report -- San Juanico

We woke up in the Mission Valley Travelodge at 5AM. We were staying there because my son flew in 5 hours earlier from Costa Rica. This little dude got to go to Costa Rica for 10 days and 5 hours later was headed to Mexico. Must be nice to be on Summer vacation.

Crossed into Mexico at SY and headed south stopping for gas at Baja Cactus.

I always consider the real trip to begin south of El Rosario. It was there that I passed a few big rigs, after they gave me the left blinker of course. After I pass I give them the hazards as a "thank you" and acknowledgment for letting me pass. They flash the brights back at me and I feel like a little kid getting attention from someone important. These truckers are the kings of the highway in Baja right? Yes, but some are completely crazy as well......

The excitement and beauty of the Catavina area gets the best of me and my daughter.

We arrive in San Ignacio about 11 hours later. We headed to the town square and checked out the old mission. Here's an ateo heading to church.

We stayed at the Desert Inn and ate at Rice n Beans. The meal wasn't great this trip. Maybe we ordered the wrong stuff. We head back to the hotel and swim in the pool.

The next morning I set my alarm clock for 4AM. I knew there was a south swell that had just started filling in and I wanted a piece of it. We wound our way thru town. We could smell tortillas being made so we stopped and bought a bag. Hot and tasty and we ate them while driving down the freshly laid blacktop leaving San Ignacio.

Driving out the North Road in the civil twilight (civil dawn) was cool. You know the feeling....a long road ahead, a road to be tested on, and hopefully arrival to a nice right hand point break if all goes well.

I stop to air down to about 18PSI and snap a few photos.

The salt flats had some water in them. We had to turn around a few times. This was one such time.

This one I went thru. Shouldn't have take the chance but I did. We made it but the pucker factor was intense.

Hey hey.........we made it....................

Don't let these photos fool you. This place can be so small for long periods, as it was the rest of the trip. And as Woody says, "you can share this wave with 100 other guys" - most of the time.

Gotta go eat dinner. More to follow in a few days when I get more time.

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by Ateo]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 05:44 PM

some really good pics, the pool, the mud. i woulda sent your kids to test the road. i been waiting for some pics of the surf for over a week and i can't believe how amped i was scrolling thru to get to them. i woulda been running for the lineup before everyone got out of the truck.:spingrin:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 05:45 PM

Wow wish I was there. Thanks for sharing. Have a great one.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 05:47 PM

I won't be posting the best photos of the surf....I don't want to get you depressed! I'll post them for you to see somewhere else. :light:

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 05:48 PM

Thanks I needed that :biggrin:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 05:59 PM

Our casa we stayed at. It was pristine and perfect for the 4 of us. If you ever need a rental check out http://www.scorpionbayrentals.com/Site/Welcome.html

We did a lot of side trips this time. It's not all about me and waves - someone once told me. =)

7th point area:

I read this book on the trip. Boy, the cosmic perspective it gives.

We drove down to San Gregorio and checked out the town of Chicharon.

After we beach-combed, I said "wanna go to La Purisima?" "Yes" was the answer.

The old mission ruins of La Purisima:

For DK:

This man Trinidad, said he used to go to school at the mission. He is 92.

We decided to hike up San Juanico Mesa after a local friend recommended it.

We didn't make it to the top as the dogs had dozens of cactus thorns stuck in their feet. We aborted the hike.

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by Ateo]

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 06:17 PM

The next day we drove down the beach and I let the kids take the wheel:

We checked our emails............hahahaha. Not really, the wifi was toooooo sloooooooooow at the Cantina and the Burro was without power.

My wife went down the the boat launch area and procured a panga for a cruise.

The fabric of space and time started to rupture:

Time to go surf!

Halibut dinner after an all day surf session:

We played some RISK. What better thing for a family to do but fight for world domination amongst ourselves. I won.

Took my daughter out to surf 2nd. Son came along for encouragement and swam the lineup.

Dinner:

Water camera failure:

And just like that, it was time to go home! Air down...........

The sand on the way back was the worse I've ever seen. I was gunning it at 40 mph to not get stuck upon entering areas of sand.

These guys were hauling ice to Datil.. They got lost, then stuck. We got them out though.

And we made it back the pavement!!!

And washed Baja of the truck..........and me. Until next time mi amiga....................

Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 06:54 PM

Great pics, great trip. Thanks for taking the time to share.
BajaLucy
Junior Nomad

Mood: {BajaTime}

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 07:02 PM

Tortilleria la Mission in San Ignacio is really good! They have flour-corn tortillas haven't try the corn but flour are best I actually found a video on web and before heading out of town we had to get some lucky in of they where Open so if you ever around town stop for some kilos of homaide fresh tortillas we actually got 2kilos made burritos Plus some extra fr the Rd.. Yum yum.. Rice-Beans was not the best meal maybe others had a good one but as from myself and our group was not the best Mayne next time.

In a world where You can Be Anything Be Yourself
merlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 07:17 PM

Outstanding post! So great to see you guys again this year, what a wonderful family you have. Fabulous photos, too!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 07:18 PM

I love the Boarder crossing photo, Just a slap in the face, it says everything about coming across.

You giving your kids the driving lessons and expose then to Baja says a lot about the kind of father you are. HATS OFF!!!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by merlin
Outstanding post! So great to see you guys again this year, what a wonderful family you have. Fabulous photos, too!

Igualmente merlin -- on the nice to see you and the family you have -- as well. Thanks for giving us some ideas for side trips. Hope to see you guys soon.

merlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 07:29 PM

Thanks!

By the way, we sent Luna's nintendo up with Blaise so hook up so she can get it back. Thanks for hauling the books.

Stay in touch.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 08:23 PM

Great report. I still have to get to that side to explore., thanks for the preview!
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 09:16 PM

What a way for a family to share time! Thanks for sharing with us.

John

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 10:47 PM

Real nice pics. Looks like a great trip. Glad you scored waves

No worries
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 11:48 PM

Good times! :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 05:22 AM

Great report!
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 05:54 AM

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Nice balance of surf and good family time from the looks of it!

Juanito
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 06:21 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post the trip report. Nice family and LUCKY kids!!

What route did you take from San Ignacio to San Juanico? Coming in from the north? The only route I've taken is through Villa Insurgentes.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.