BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Need ideas for building an aerodynamic light weight and lockable rooftop box to carry my surfboards and surf sup!
magentawave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2013 at 09:17 PM
Need ideas for building an aerodynamic light weight and lockable rooftop box to carry my surfboards and surf sup!

I want to build an aerodynamic light weight low profile and lockable rooftop box to put a couple surfboards and an 8' long surf sup inside that will install on top of my Toyota Sunrader motorhome (the motorhome with the fiberglass body). I was wondering if anyone has built something like this? If so, what materials did you use to build it? If not, any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 04:55 AM

ridge x2. If that Thule box (or 2) would work for you it would seem downright cheap by the time you finished building one from scratch.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
magentawave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 11:38 AM

I didn't realize Thule had ones that big. You might be right about the cost considering resin, foam (or plywood), hinges, etc. Thanks for the link. Hopefully I can find a used one for sale.

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by magentawave]
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by magentawave
I want to build an aerodynamic light weight low profile and lockable rooftop box to put a couple surfboards and an 8' long surf sup inside that will install on top of my Toyota Sunrader motorhome (the motorhome with the fiberglass body). I was wondering if anyone has built something like this? If so, what materials did you use to build it? If not, any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Those Thule's are great plus if you ever wanted to get rid of it you'd have no trouble finding someone to take it off your hands at good price..

But if you can't afford the 700 you could look around for a used 8' fiberglass pickup topper (Snugtop etc.) - round here these can be found on CL for 100 of less - cut it round the bottom to height you want - hinge it to 4X8' plywood sheet. You could even add a Thule or Yakima rack on top.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 12:55 PM

You could easily build a half inch plywood box with an internal 2x2 frame for $100. Glue it and screw/bolt it together. Hinge the back so you can slide the boards in and out. Take the fins off first. Jam some pieces of foam rubber in after you put the boards in to keep them from banging around. Paint it with house paint. Use galvanized or stainless steel hardware. That's what I'd do but I'm cheap and a good carpenter.

Aerodynamics? Slope the front, not that it will make any measurable difference in fuel mileage.

$700 for a box, no matter how cool it looks is a lot of money.

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 12:59 PM

and use bolts on the hinges and other hardware, not screws. A funky box is a pretty good anti-theft device too.;D
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 01:10 PM

If I were to start the same project I'd look first at 1/4" PWD and stitch and glue my pod together like a "one weekend" kayak. Be one of a kind. DIY!

Here's one that works two ways.

pram top box.jpg - 7kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
magentawave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
If I were to start the same project I'd look first at 1/4" PWD and stitch and glue my pod together like a "one weekend" kayak. Be one of a kind. DIY!

I searched and found nothing for PWD. What is PWD?
magentawave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
You could easily build a half inch plywood box with an internal 2x2 frame for $100. Glue it and screw/bolt it together. Hinge the back so you can slide the boards in and out. Take the fins off first. Jam some pieces of foam rubber in after you put the boards in to keep them from banging around. Paint it with house paint. Use galvanized or stainless steel hardware. That's what I'd do but I'm cheap and a good carpenter.

Aerodynamics? Slope the front, not that it will make any measurable difference in fuel mileage.

$700 for a box, no matter how cool it looks is a lot of money.

I agree $700 is a lot of money and I won't buy one unless I can find it used. There are lots of used Thule and Yakima boxes on Craigslist but that Sonic XXL is the longest made and could be rare since its only been out less than a year.

I'm a good carpenter and cabinetmaker too...and CHEAP...so meanwhile I'll design something and price it out and see what kind of price I come up with. I'd like it to be as light as possible but it would be cool to be able to walk on it because I'm pretty sure the other side will have solar panels.

I need to make or buy one to put on top of one of these little Toyota Sunrader motorhomes with the fiberglass body...

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by magentawave]

82 ToySunrader.jpg - 37kB
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by magentawave
Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo

I searched and found nothing for PWD. What is PWD?

Sorry...PlyWooD

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 03:04 PM

The other thing I saw a guy (windsurfer) do is build a plywood closet box and mounted it vertical on back of his Lance truck camper. He could fit a couple boards and sails in it.
OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 03:30 PM

Save yourself the trouble of having to build a box and either just install a standard surfboard rack system (yakima/thule) either on top of the motorhome, or like a lot of RV's I see down at San Onofre, fabricate a rack so the boards are positioned vertically on the rear of the motorhome. If you're looking to save money, you can find reasonably priced used rack systems on Craigslist.

In either case, you can secure your boards with a reinforced lock strap (follow link):
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=steel+core+str...

The lock strap has a braided cable for strength, and a neoprene sleeve to protect your board from the locking metal buckle. I transport my boards, including SUPs, throughout Baja using this system and it works really well. Real simple, light weight, accessible, durable and secure.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 03:52 PM

After you solve the box problem, your cute little camper needs some rear springs....just sayin'...

[img]http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=68111&pid=827689[/img]

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
After you solve the box problem, your cute little camper needs some rear springs....just sayin'...

[img]http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=68111&pid=827689[/img]

[Edited on 7-8-2013 by motoged]

Airlift airbags! Just did my truck - awesome !
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OCEANUS
Save yourself the trouble of having to build a box and either just install a standard surfboard rack system (yakima/thule) either on top of the motorhome, or like a lot of RV's I see down at San Onofre, fabricate a rack so the boards are positioned vertically on the rear of the motorhome. If you're looking to save money, you can find reasonably priced used rack systems on Craigslist.

In either case, you can secure your boards with a reinforced lock strap (follow link):
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=steel+core+str...

The lock strap has a braided cable for strength, and a neoprene sleeve to protect your board from the locking metal buckle. I transport my boards, including SUPs, throughout Baja using this system and it works really well. Real simple, light weight, accessible, durable and secure.

i think the OP is really jonesing for a roof box and is just looking for validation,... so i say go for it!
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:

i think the OP is really jonesing for a roof box and is just looking for validation,... so i say go for it!

2X Goat . if you can afford a SUP ...go for the Box !

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 06:30 PM

x2 on Airlift bags. love mine.

PS why can't the boards ride inside, in a board bag?

magentawave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2013 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
PS why can't the boards ride inside, in a board bag?

Because I'm going to be living in this full-time while traveling the US, Mexico and Central America and want to keep the inside as clear as possible.

If I was only going to be doing short surf trips then I wouldn't bother with the added windage and expense of a cargo box and would go with racks instead. My reasons for considering a rooftop box are to minimize UV, hide my stuff (boards, fishing rods, etc.) from potential thieves (outta site - outta mind) while also making it more of a hassle for potential thieves since everything will be way up top.

Thats not a photo of my Toyota Sunrader but mine looks just like it...and mine needs airbags too! I just replaced the stock 1/2 ton axle with "fake" duallys with a 1 ton floating rear axle with real duallys.

[Edited on 7-9-2013 by magentawave]
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 7-9-2013 at 08:01 AM

OK, so you can't find one of the expensive Yakima pre-fabbed deals... What about a 1X frame made of pine or poplar or alder skinned with 1/4" ply? Easy enough to design and build. You could do it either with the frames inside or like an exoskeleton with the frames on the outside, smooth and clutter free for sliding stuff in and out. It'd be pretty darn easy. You say you have cabinetmaking skills... do you have a pocket screw jig like a Kreg jig? That would make fabricating the 1X frames very easy. You could glue and staple the 1/4" skins to the frames. Design it so that the frames work out for where you plan to attach it to the camper. Flip up door in the back with a hasp and a lock and you're good to go. Paint it up and it'll last at least one trip, which unless I miss my guess is all you really need it for anyway...

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
magentawave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2013 at 12:10 PM

I just started looking for that big Thule Sonic a couple days ago after someone mentioned it here because it seems to be the biggest car top box made. I'll keep looking for a used one and if I don't find one then I'll have to bite the bullet and make one. Yes, thin plywood over a 1X frame is probably what I'll do as it shouldn't weigh very much. I think I'll do frames in for the sides and top but frames out for the bottom so I can slide stuff in easily. I don't have a Kreg jig yet but read good reviews about their $40 model a couple days ago on Amazon.

Why would it last only one trip? If I glue it and coat the exterior with epoxy it should last many years.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.