Author: Subject: Mariscos Titos and Tacos Aaron in Playas de Tijuana
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 7-21-2013 at 12:02 PM
Mariscos Titos and Tacos Aaron in Playas de Tijuana

From the Menu in Progress blog: http://menuinprogress.com/

Mariscos Tito’s in Playas de Tijuana

Within an hour of arriving for our weekend in Playas de Tijuana we were eating lunch at Mariscos Titos. We'd been there before on a Turista Libre trip, so it made for a comfortable first stop.

Mariscos Titos is located just east of the Plaza Coronado shopping center.

We started with a fish ceviche tostada.
Even though the base had some mayo in it, which I'm not very fond of, it was very tasty.

We also had a few tacos - the camarón enchilada and the pulpo enchilado.

Both were good, but a bit more "goopy" than I would like. I think we would have done better to order the simpler tacos.
As I mentioned earlier, we stopped here on an earlier trip with Turista Libre.

That time we had the "New York Camarón" taco.
This was a beast of a taco - a bunch of shrimp scattered on top of a thin steak, with a healthy dose of cheese underneath. Pretty much a meal in itself.

Mariscos Titos certainly wasn't the best food we had during our visit, but it was good. The service is friendly and the atmosphere is active and pleasant.

Mariscos Titos
Corales 107
Playas de Tijuana
22000 Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

Tacos Aaron in Playas de Tijuana

While we didn't specifically plan for our hotel during our weekend stay in Playas de Tijuana to be right around the corner from Tacos Aaron, we were certainly very pleased about it.

Tacos Aaron is a great example of the "Tacos Varios" style in Tijuana. "Tacos Varios" isn't very descriptive, but in Tijuana it means what we learned as tacos de guisado (stew) in Mexico City. While there are a few elements of some tacos that are prepared on the flattop, the majority of the tacos are made from pre-prepared stews. And they are fantastic.

Slow-braised beef in a wonderfully spiced chile sauce.

They also have a "Quesabirria" taco, which ups the ante with a layer of cheese. We were toward the end of service and they were out of cheese, but we got one on a previous visit to their other truck (outside the Calimax in Colonia Soler)

I think I generally prefer the purity of the straight birria taco, but for pure indulgence it is hard to argue with the quesabirria.

We also had a few of their other tacos. This is the pollo adobado.

It was served with a terrific rich and roasty sauce.

And the milanesa.

This was probably our least favorite of their tacos, but it was still pretty damned good.

The next morning, we hit up the truck again - this time for breakfast. We got the chorizo con huevo enchilada.

Scrambled egg in a vibrant chile sauce, with large chunks of tasty chorizo. Really good.

Less attractive, but maybe even better tasting was the machaca con huevo.

The eggs were luxurious in a fantastic salsa verde. I could easily eat this for breakfast every day.

There are still a few taco varieties we have yet to try. We're looking forward to visiting them again and continuing to explore their menu. You should, too.

Tacos Aaron
Paseo Pedregel, just southwest of the Plaza Coronado shopping center
Playas de Tijuana
Baja California, Mexico

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
xolotl_tj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2013 at 01:45 PM

Tito's is something of a local success-story. There are now somewhere between six and eight of them and all the other fish taco people are envious of what Tito's can do for ten pesos.

The one in Playas seems to be their flagship and gives the biggest portions of the three I've eaten at. There's a much smaller Tito's in Mercado Hidalgo (on the sidewalk about the middle of the northern side), also very good, where you give your order to the cashier before sitting down. There's another large one in Rosarito right at the (northbound) exit to Colonia Constitución -- it has to be fairly new because its kitchen is always in the weeds and its waiters are still figuring out what it is they're supposed to be doing.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.