Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Get That Checkup!
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 02:29 PM
Get That Checkup!

This is a follow up to my post in the thread about the American angler who died in East Cape. EnsenadaDr urged us to get cardiac checkups and this is my tale. Kathy and I had stepped up our exercise routine and I had some shortness of breath. Went to my Dr. and things happened really quickly. Had a stress test with ultrasound which showed some arterial blockage. On 7/19 went in for an angiogram which showed too much blockage for stents and was held in the hospital over the weekend and had 4 way bypass surgery on Monday 7/22. Good news is that I had not had a heart attack and my heart is strong. My cardiologists tells me to expect a normal life span. I was a heart attack waiting to happen. It is easy to ignore the symptoms but if you feel short of breath or have chest tightness get to a doctor. You can save your own life. Kathy and I will be back in Baja in Oct. and I will be back on my motorcycles after a couple of months. I only spent 4 days post surgery in the hospital and am up and around and feeling better every day. Sternum is sore but with caution it will be better soon. We are continuing our efforts toward a good lifestyle but will work in a few tacos from time to time. Can't say enough about the quality of care I got and the staff at French Hospital in San Luis Obispo.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 02:33 PM

Really glad you are OK and followed the Doc's very good advice!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 05:57 PM

We all have ticker problems one way or the other.

Glad you got checked out, and got the by-pass.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 05:58 PM

Thank goodness Kurt!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 06:14 PM

You dodged a bullet, Kurt. Stay on top of things....especially the dirt.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 06:49 PM

when i went to the doc for my San Nicolas Island physical i found out i had a resting blodd pressure of 185/134.

getting old is a biatch.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2013 at 07:03 PM

What a story ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 12:25 AM

Kurt, congratulations on catching this in time. I also caught mine before having a heart attack a dozen years ago. Couldn't believe how much energy I had once the old blood could start flowing again. A little advice, stay active once you can. I did great for a couple years and then got back into bad habits. Now I'm fighting to get back in shape. It's a whole lot easier and enjoyable to just stay in better shape. glad that little suggestion reached you in time!
John

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 12:55 AM

Kudos to EnsenadaDr! It's always good to listen to a professional.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 01:39 AM

Kurt,

This is wonderful news!! So glad you'll be back in Baja soon enjoying life. I urge all of you to get your stress test, especially those with diabetes and high blood pressure. It is so sad to know that many of the deaths that occur could be prevented by controlling blood pressure and having a complete physical exam that includes a stress test and ultrasound to look for blockage in the arteries. Hopefully Kurt this story will encourage others to take steps to improve the quality of their life and avoid ending it prematurely.
Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
This is a follow up to my post in the thread about the American angler who died in East Cape. EnsenadaDr urged us to get cardiac checkups and this is my tale. Kathy and I had stepped up our exercise routine and I had some shortness of breath. Went to my Dr. and things happened really quickly. Had a stress test with ultrasound which showed some arterial blockage. On 7/19 went in for an angiogram which showed too much blockage for stents and was held in the hospital over the weekend and had 4 way bypass surgery on Monday 7/22. Good news is that I had not had a heart attack and my heart is strong. My cardiologists tells me to expect a normal life span. I was a heart attack waiting to happen. It is easy to ignore the symptoms but if you feel short of breath or have chest tightness get to a doctor. You can save your own life. Kathy and I will be back in Baja in Oct. and I will be back on my motorcycles after a couple of months. I only spent 4 days post surgery in the hospital and am up and around and feeling better every day. Sternum is sore but with caution it will be better soon. We are continuing our efforts toward a good lifestyle but will work in a few tacos from time to time. Can't say enough about the quality of care I got and the staff at French Hospital in San Luis Obispo.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
when i went to the doc for my San Nicolas Island physical i found out i had a resting blodd pressure of 185/134.

getting old is a biatch.

You are under a doctor's care for this, I hope????? Get it DOWN.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 07:27 AM

Woody, I started a thread where I would like all Nomads to take their resting blood pressure after 15 minutes and post it online. If they would prefer to U2U me privately that would be fine. I want to start with you. That blood pressure is a ticking time bomb waiting to happen.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 07:29 AM

Glad all is well, major surgery, that's for sure.

I walk (march) several miles daily and whenever I come across a hill or staircase I hustle and take note of my breathing. A personal stress test. Of course a professional exam is better.

I think everyone knows how important diet is. Credible evidence exists that certain diets can actually decrease arterial plaque.

Again Kurt, glad you're on the mend. Skip the tacos, why not?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Kudos to EnsenadaDr! It's always good to listen to a professional.

I had already had the stress test and was scheduled for the angiogram when EnsenadaDr posted about stress tests. My posting then and now was to confirm her suggestion and show the positive benefits. Seems to me that stress tests should be part of overall health screening when we reach a "certain age."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 09:04 AM

... and Kurt, drink your orange juice!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 09:38 AM

Had a heart scan last Summer and carotid ultrasound. The risk factor was sobering. Immediately dropped some poundage, cut the crrap from my diet, back to working out everyday, cardio with heart monitor. Don't see a lot of overweight gringoes in Baja. Lots of drinkers though. Eat right stay fit die anyway.

Woody are you not taking your doc's advice? BP today?
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 10:07 AM

Last year was feeling extremely tired. Got an EKG at the GP's office and was sent to a Cardiologist. Another EKG, an echocardiogram and the nuclear test, where they inject dye and put you through continuous x rays for an hour. Nothing unusual found. Then a good friend told me to insist on an angiogram , which I did. They found a blocked artery and stented it.
Then a few months ago, back in Sacramento, had some uncomfy feeling in my chest. Again saw my GP, who send me again to the Cardiologist. They just took an EKG, called for a wheelchair and within an hour was deposited in a hospital bed, and after extensive test had another angiogram and another stent installed.
Had trouble controlling my blood pressure for the last few years, but now, after that latest procedure, it is pretty much perfect, 120/72. They did adjust my medication somewhat, but I have the feeling that the latest stent made the difference.

The point I'm making is, that if you have a problem, insist on a angiogram. Even my GP told me that often all the other test don't show any problems.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 10:40 AM

Lee, Kudos X2!

A FULL HEART STUDY is the only way to go. Found some pretty astute cardiologists in the USA who strongly believe the chemical stress test beats a exercise treadmill hands down - ridiculously more accurate. The radioactive injection and images PROVE beyond a doubt that a person has not suffered a silent heart attack and there is no dead muscle in the heart. Then a sonogram to confirm blood flow, plus X-ray and bloods labs to pile insurance on top off it all.

BUT in my most humble opinion, meds to control BP are not enough. Most meds do little to protect the kidneys, and high BP is a major cause of late term kidney failure. Check with your MD about this. There are specific medications aimed at helping the kidneys to survive. Again ask your personal MD.

Yeah, a complete "tune-up" is inconvenient, but ho boy it beats the hell out of a valve job or engine swap. Endure the several hours and be rewarded with one hell of a better quality of life in Baja California.

I was tutored for my EMT 2 by one heck of a gifted ER trauma doctor. He scared the living bejesus out of me and I was only in my late 30's at the time.

BTW, inexpensive

PULSE OXIMETERS

Should be added to the list of things that would be surely appreciated in your Baja California community. They are simple, easy to read and understand, and quite inexpensive on eBay and Amazon.com

I've seen more Chinese JUNK BP machines down here for sale at ridiculous prices. I trust OMRON or a well tended mechanical BP test at a clinica. I have NEVER encountered ANY clinica, insured or not, that did not enthusiastically offer to take my BP if their patient load was low at the time.

MORE OPINION: Pressure your personal MD to include basic tests in your general exam in the states. Tests for electrolyte balance, anemia, etc. Sometimes even the most talented MD's overlook the trees because of the forest. If your BP stays high, after your exam and dosing with Rx, call your MD and re-schedule. There are no warranties amigos, only recalls...

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 10:59 AM

so glad you are ok! Whewww you got in just in time!

Apparently women have some other symptoms too, my cousin at 54 years old just had a heart attack and she all of a sudden had excruciating pain in her jaw, along with shortness of breath, next thing ya know she was in the hospital having surgery. So glad you were proactive, thanks for reminding us that we too need to be proactive. I need to take note!

continued healing and good health to you!

KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
... and Kurt, drink your orange juice!

Ice cold OJ has never tasted better than what you and Elizabeth shared with me when I was ill on the Mission SM trip!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.