Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Get That Checkup!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG

Ice cold OJ has never tasted better than what you and Elizabeth shared with me when I was ill on the Mission SM trip!

Must have been a Screwdriver. :yes:
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG

Ice cold OJ has never tasted better than what you and Elizabeth shared with me when I was ill on the Mission SM trip!

Must have been a Screwdriver. :yes:

Nope, I last tasted alcohol in 1986.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 04:35 PM

Good job Kurt! I'm glad you'll still be around if I ever get to the point of inviting you to take a bucket list ride in Baja!!!!

EnsenadaDr...My BP just now was 127/60. That is about average. I'm 70, 170, 5'-6" and Stage III chronic renal failure after an RCC and radical nephrectomy in '08.

Woody, my younger than me friend, what you are doing is part of what got me the life I'm living.

I now have to keep my BP just high enough so I don't pass out when I stand up!!!:lol::lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 04:56 PM

Too bad Woody didn't come back to share what he has done for that threatening pressure.

The biggest problem for folks that can't lower high BP though diet and exercise is that virtually all available pharmaceuticals have undesirable side effects.
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 8-3-2013 at 10:08 PM

The day I took my folks to LAX for an African tour, I got home (I'm house sitting Moms in Dana Point, Ca.) and at 8PM got a call from my Uncle Dons Dr. He resides in the board and care home that Don lives at. Luckily, he was there to call me and say,...."HEY, your Uncle needs to go to ER". I took him right away and he was indeed, suffering a heart attack. This was last Monday. It's been a roller coaster worrying about Don who also has severe Parkinson's disease. Bad timing, My cousin John died 10 days ago from Parkinson's. Don is pretty frightened, as am I, but luckily, doctors were all on board, put in stents and I took him back home today.
Being a stupid gringa, a long time smoker, I am pretty on top of my cardiac care. (Yes, I am a non-smoker now)
There is a group called 'Life-Line'. (You can find them on line and I recommend it.)
They are a group that holds clinics certain times of year, and all they do is important health tests. Tests, that usually involve a lot of pain and fuss to obtain from regular Dr's. Sometimes too late. I have an appt. on 8/12 to get a full cardiac stress test, artery tests for blockage and other tests I can't remember, to measure my arteries and risk of stroke. It costs $129 out of pocket and for the last 11 years, I think it's best money spent. Better to find a problem before it's 'killing you, I think.
Anyway, look up 'Life-Line' medical testing, they have kept me informed, safe and a little bit more secure.
Hugs,
M

Looking for new adventures now; Always...
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 8-4-2013 at 03:18 PM

Three or four decades ago (am I that old?) my mother died of a gunshot wound in the heart during a robbery and I thought I was taking it pretty well - old Navy Chiefs are tough, uh huh. I started getting headaches all of a sudden. Had insurance so went to the doctor to see whatever. Whatever was BP of 165. Been on magic pills ever since.
Hang in there, Kurt, and mind EnsenadaDr :bounce::bounce::yes::yes:
Neal

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2013 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by M
The day I took my folks to LAX for an African tour,

They probably didn't even have to get on a plane to do that in Inglewood.

Jes kiddin'.
Nice to see you, Michelle.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-4-2013 at 03:46 PM

Neal,

Thanks for posting the story, that is horrible what happened to your mother, just that experience alone could cause high blood pressure. However, anyone that has high blood pressure and anyone that checks their blood pressure needs to know about the two numbers, the upper one, which is known as systolic, and the lower one which is known as diastolic. 165 is meaningless unless you specify which number it is, the upper number, or the lower number. I assume it is the upper number, because you wouldn't be alive too long if it was the bottom number. There were many cases that I have seen of patients coming in with low blood pressure, so if your upper number goes below 90 you need to call your doctor. It is essential, as Dennis does, to check your blood pressure daily and write the time of day you took it, the date, and it should be taken 2 hours after your medication was taken, at rest for at least 10-15 minutes.
Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Three or four decades ago (am I that old?) my mother died of a gunshot wound in the heart during a robbery and I thought I was taking it pretty well - old Navy Chiefs are tough, uh huh. I started getting headaches all of a sudden. Had insurance so went to the doctor to see whatever. Whatever was BP of 165. Been on magic pills ever since.
Hang in there, Kurt, and mind EnsenadaDr :bounce::bounce::yes::yes:
Neal
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-4-2013 at 03:49 PM

I was wondering what happened to you so glad you have a place to live and are doing well. By the way. anyone is healthcare knows that if there is a suspicion of a serious health problem, call 911. Ambulances can start treatment way before the patient gets to the hospital. I am shocked that your Uncle's board and care would call you and not the ambulance, especially to go to the ER.
Quote:
Originally posted by M
The day I took my folks to LAX for an African tour, I got home (I'm house sitting Moms in Dana Point, Ca.) and at 8PM got a call from my Uncle Dons Dr. He resides in the board and care home that Don lives at. Luckily, he was there to call me and say,...."HEY, your Uncle needs to go to ER". I took him right away and he was indeed, suffering a heart attack. This was last Monday. It's been a roller coaster worrying about Don who also has severe Parkinson's disease. Bad timing, My cousin John died 10 days ago from Parkinson's. Don is pretty frightened, as am I, but luckily, doctors were all on board, put in stents and I took him back home today.
Being a stupid gringa, a long time smoker, I am pretty on top of my cardiac care. (Yes, I am a non-smoker now)
There is a group called 'Life-Line'. (You can find them on line and I recommend it.)
They are a group that holds clinics certain times of year, and all they do is important health tests. Tests, that usually involve a lot of pain and fuss to obtain from regular Dr's. Sometimes too late. I have an appt. on 8/12 to get a full cardiac stress test, artery tests for blockage and other tests I can't remember, to measure my arteries and risk of stroke. It costs $129 out of pocket and for the last 11 years, I think it's best money spent. Better to find a problem before it's 'killing you, I think.
Anyway, look up 'Life-Line' medical testing, they have kept me informed, safe and a little bit more secure.
Hugs,
M
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.