BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: passaport? we don't need no stinking passaport!!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 09:24 PM
passaport? we don't need no stinking passaport!!!

what is the deal??? does anyone have a handle on this crap? it's been said, "they" can't deny you entry into "your" own country. but if you don't have a passport upon arrival at the gate, will a birth cert be okay?

i know from experience that any time i'm coming north my boss will have been wondering where i've been for 2 or 3 days from when i told him i'd return. i've quit trying to call him and make up a new excuse, now i'm just "late".

is there anyone out there who works for "la migra" or can find out what's really going on?

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-15-2004 at 10:20 PM

First of all which country are you talking about ? witch way are you going?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-16-2004 at 06:53 AM

The answer is...

Passport is required when you leave the country.

FAA rules have a lot to do with the enforcement since 911 when you fly.

The reality is...
Only a drivers license is required NOW if you drive. Thousands cross the border with only this daily. You can ask THEM.

Passport Fee $55.00
Processing Fee $30.00
Pictures $15.00
Total $95.00 each

It actually takes about 8 weeks to get the passport even though they say 6 weeks.
If you need it quicker than that then you need to...

Expidite it $60.00
2 weeks
Now the total is $155.00 each.

It's the "fleecing of america"
It's ALL about jobs and money circulation not national safety.

Passport website
http://www.travel.state.gov
:tumble::tumble:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2004 at 08:52 AM

Even at the expedited cost...$155...amortized over the 10 year life of the passport is only 15.50 a year...
What's the big deal...get a passport and you can go wherever and whenever you want.
It's good i.d., too. Is there a good argument for not having one?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2004 at 10:17 AM

"Is there a good argument for not having one?" So if I have a passport, why do I need a Mexican Visa? When traveling in Europe with a passport, do you get a separate entry document at each border and pay separate fees for each country? The ID required for a passport is the same as for a Mexican Visa. AND Mexico still wants to charge $22 every six months (more often if you're flying)? Many Central American countries do not require passports. People in the US military with military ID's have been able to use those ID's instead of passports. Seems to me requiring a passport and visa FOR EVERYONE IN THE CAR - your children, spouse, mother, brother-in-law for a one or two-week trip to Baja will be stifling and detrimental to their No. 3 economic product - tourism. A family of four would have to pay at least $340 before they can cross into Mexico for a one-week trip; add $75 for Mexican insurance. Right now you can fly to Hawaii from Los Angeles for $99- and you don't need a passport. (See travelzool.com). I.e., people would definitely consider other vacation options. Would a passport requirement deter me? YES. They're building all those hundreds of frigging condos all over southern Baja - want people to buy them, rent them, then stifle the means to get into the country. If Mexico is going to require passports, they better give up something on the other end, like issue 2-year visas. A bit too onerous for me.
BajaGrrls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2004 at 10:51 AM

For the record, I'm far more concerned about only being able to buy one liter of liquor duty free than having to get a passport, which I'd get anyway.

Also, if you think tourists and development in Baja are annoying, wait until you get a load of the folks in Hawaii. :spingrin:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2004 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

A U.S. passport is one of the most valuable items on this planet. Just ask anyone who wants one. $95 is a bargain.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2004 at 07:13 PM

Your passport is your identification worldwide. It shows you as a US citizen. Thats all. The visas etc required are premits to enter a country wether it's Mexico, China or whatever. Most countries like to know who is arriving so the passport is the perfered ID. Nothing to strange about that to my small mind. Those people buying or leasing property are required to have proper papers - FM3 or FM2 - to get either, a passport is required. I cross the border at Mexicali fairly regularly and have never been asked to show a passport either coming or going to US. Never even been asked for a driverse license unless I was walking - never in the car. Mexican citizens getting papers to come to the US for visits pay more than we do to visit Mexico. Everyone knows you can get by with a lot of "stuff", but do you really want to?

And Dave is right, the passport is valuable. They go for big money on the black market.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-16-2004 at 09:34 PM
Entry

I've carried a passport for almost twenty years and would never be without
one. Having said that, if your only concern is travel to and from Mexico
as a tourist, a passport is not required. A drivers license has always been
good enough for the Mexicans, a certified Birth Certificate is better.
As far as being denied entry BACK into your own country (U.S.A.), when you
pull up to the checkpoint, you are already inside the U.S. so they would
actually be deporting you if they forced you to go back. Something that is
not likely if you can show any reasonable proof that you are a legal U.S.
resident.
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

sad.gif posted on 11-17-2004 at 01:43 AM
Here's One To Think About...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

...How about this food for thought?
As written earlier,

"The answer is... Passport is required when you leave the country."

As (supposedly) "free" citizens of a nation actively involved in nation building (Oops! I meant "spreading freedom...") around the globe, wouldn't you think we were allowed to leave the US without the necessity of first paying cash in order to receive Uncle Sam's blessing (in the form of a Passport)?

I always thought I was free to exercise my "Freedom of Choice" by going wherever I pleased, whenever I felt the urge to "pursue life, liberty, and happiness".
Sad but true though, that if you attempt to walk across a US border without buying your temporary "freedom" from the US Government, you are a criminal. Not for entering Mexico, or Canada, or wherever, but for LEAVING the US without permission!

Unfortunately, the retail price of freedom has been set. It now costs a hundred bucks to exercise your Constitutionally-guaranteed Rights, and that only buys you 10 years!

The rights of self-determination, of free choice, and of free will have been usurped by a machine run amok which is only (supposed to be) "governing" at the behest of the citizenry.

"A U.S. passport is one of the most valuable items on this planet. Just ask anyone who wants one. $95 is a bargain."

Just remember, the $95 is only the tip of the iceberg. They're valuable for sure, but they now come with extra, "bonus" features!!!
Take a look at the juicier parts of the text of the Patriot Act. When you buy that Passport now, you have opted into a new computer-driven system of personal information compilation and analysis. A "permanent record" is being created for you, for any current US Passport holder, and for all Passport Applicants, just like your third-grade teacher threatened as the consequence of your continued tardiness.
The difference is that now your personal information, from the books you check out at the library, to your internet browsing habits is all readily available, and now without the need for a silly old Judge to sign off on a Search Warrant or Court Order!!!
The destinations you travel to, (Including the methods of payment used and source account information for your tickets!) the countries you may pass through on your trip, the purpose of your visit, is all now recorded for later analysis for every international air traveller holding that little blue book.

Yeah, I know I'm starting to sound like one of those nuts screaming about black helicopters and the Trilateral Commission, but the more I think about it, the more I think I'm the one who should be compensated here...

Before reaching for the flamethrowin' keyboard, think about your expectation of true freedom, of your own inalienable Rights, especially as they relate to Privacy and self-determination: Those rights which are yours as a US Citizen, and which were once held so dearly at the core of our national identity, are under daily attack by those charged with protecting them at all costs, "..Against all enemies, foreign and domestic...".
Seems to me that "...the Terrorists win..." not if I stop shopping at The Gap, but if I allow my own individual Rights to be suspended for any reason, at any time, without a REAL good reason!!!

OK, I'm getting down off my soap box and heading back to the icebox...
:tumble:
Cameron
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 08:33 AM

Maybe because 3,000 were butchered in ONE DAY... maybe that's the best that could be thought up to protect the rest of us, maybe if you don't help or join the terrorists you have nothing to fear and maybe if the previous administration had done its job, none of this would have happened.:?: Just maybe...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 10:26 AM

Philosophy aside...and Cameron, you make some good points...

The original post, I think was asking about needing a passport to come back into the US>

Here's the quote from the US State Dept in response to my question about whether or not a passport was necessary for coming back in to the US:

"While U.S. citizenship documents such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship are acceptable, the U.S.
Embassy recommends traveling with a valid U.S. passport to avoid delays or
misunderstandings."

Before questioning Mexico, if in fact they are requiring a passport, we might check out the requirements and cost that the US makes on Mexicans entering the US.
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 11:15 AM
Passport? License?

Here's a little tale from yesterday, crossing back after five days surfing/fishing :-):

On approach, I did as I typically do: Collected my co-pilot's license with my own in the left hand and readied them for the guard. Light turns green, we roll up, big smile, licenses out the window, awaiting the "county of citzenship question."

Seconds later, we've both answered "USA" and the guard tosses both our licenses back in the car, sternly saying, "Just so you know, you must declare your nationality at the border. Your driver's license does not indicate your citizenship." Then, perhaps on realizing the caked mud coating every inch of my car would make for a sloppy camper shell search, he simply waves me by. Stunning and surreal.

This exchange raises a few fascinating questions, chiefly, How do people not from the United States score a valid CA (or any state's) driver's license? And secondly, since I was not asked for a passport, Is an oral declaration universal evidence of citizenship? Like, I can just roll up anywhere and be all, "Yo, I'm from the States," and people will be all, "Well, he said it outloud, it must be true. Come on in (or 'get the hell out,' destination depending). And thirdly, why do they have to say "declare?" So silly. As if I'm gonna scale my Toyota, lift my hands Braveheart style and proudly intone "I AM AMERICAN!" (semantics I know, but really, kind of goofy don't you think?)

Now, I wouldn't dare say my way is "the way" (not here anyway), but it had served me well for 15 (mostly) secondary-free years. This from one who's uber-paranoid to trek deepest Baja with his precious passport (the stamps! so many years in the gettin'!). And while I've never once been asked for it, yesterday changed my policy.

Take a passport.

Oh and FYI, the road between La Bocana and Point Joe is washed out. Majorly. Believe me. Check the "road conditions" forum for proof in a few.
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 06:20 PM

Remember, a passport IS NOT needed if you stay in the USA and don't travel out of it.
If you leave the USA, you better be absolutely prepared to be able to truly identify yourself when you want to get back into the USA.
This is reality, folks. Nothing less will be accepted.
You can thank the radical muslims for this happening now and not 5 years from now.

Saludos,,,, mc
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 10:29 PM

Passports are just a fancy piece of paper...

There is NO background check.

You go to a passport acceptance agency...ie Post Office, Library, City Hall etc...PAY the fees

You give them a birth certificate....they don't know if its real...

They copy your drivers license.....real???

They make you sware that the application you filled out is true....

and they mail it away...

6-8 weeks later you get a passport in the mail...NO signature required

They don't even know if the address is real.

The passport agency is overloaded with requests....they subcontract out much of the work.

Passports are only good for law abiding citizens....criminals can get them easily.

It's not the best ID.
:no::no:

our website is:
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 10:43 PM

The Port Passes that we got for SENTRI included an FBI background check. :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 09:09 AM
US Passports

Dave said it - "US Passports are one of the most valuable things on this planet"!

By the way, whenever you renew or start a new one, Dept of Homeland Security does a background check on you. Usually done by retired FBI agents. So the cost of one is nothing!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 12:09 PM

Anytime you leave the United States, proof that you are American should be on you. Mexico requires this proof to issue you a tourist card (required for visits of over 3 days or trips beyond the 'border region'). So, if you don't have a passport then bring your birth certificate.

Last time I was asked for ID when crossing back, the drivers license was accepted for me, and my kids' birth certs. for them.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 12:34 PM
Bob or Suzan.....

Can you please point me in the direction of that library, post office ect. where they give out those passports so easily? I'm having to renew my 11yr. old son's (you have to do that every 5 yrs. for children) And for the first time I was turned away at the window (I didn't bring son with me, I had his father, but not the child....HUH????) They gave me a stack of papers and told me that I needed to bring Brendan with me, also his father (or a notirized statement for permission) and 2 checks. 1 for the county court $35 and one for the Feds. $55 Now, while I understand the reasoning for wanting to know who is coming into our country I really think that it is pretty clear that my 'toe head' blue eyed 11yr. old isn't here to bomb buildings, and I understand that in the past the reasoning was to keep parents from stealing children from each other and taking them to countries where they would never see them again. What I don't understand is why, OH WHY! When traveling to Japan to meet my husband, Brendan was 5 (we were transiting Vancover BC) they took my son away from me into a room and asked him if I was really his mother, okay true, I'm olive skinned, dark hair and brown eyed...my son is as blond as blond can be and blue eyed......okay, I understand that they may have thought that something wasn't right, but, I had his passport, b-cert., permission letter, even marriage cert. since I don't use my hubby's last name (20yrs. as a Travel Agent has taught me to be 'armed') ....still, I had to spend a 9hr. flight calming my son who didn't understand why I let strangers take him away from me (Mommy failed him in his eyes)......Sorry, I know I've gotten a bit off track here (it still grates on my nerves!)

U.S Passports ARE valuable......years ago I would advise my clients not to take their passports to Mexico (not needed and a 'red flag' for theft) today? I'm never without it.....do I think it's a 'money cow' YOU BET! I seem to remember a few years ago (just after 9/11) that several field trips had to be canceled for Mexican children to SD because their families couldn't afford the $100 for a passport.....seems to me that some 'rhyme' should be put to the 'reason' :rolleyes:

As a side note......I have to say just how proud and grateful I was on that transit through Vancover BC. When I saw that all of the Canadian Airline planes had a US flag and a Canadian flag together with "UNITED WE STAND" written underneth.......(Nov. 2001)
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2004 at 01:12 PM

Debra

First....
We both have a passport?.but is is costly?.

?Can you please point me in the direction of that library, post office ect. where they give out those passports so easily??

Answer:
Where to apply:
http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

The form:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms.html

?I'm having to renew my 11yr. old son's (you have to do that every 5 yrs. for children) And for the first time I was turned away at the window (I didn't bring son with me, I had his father, but not the child....HUH????)?

Answer:
Of course your son has to be there?otherwise anyone could get passports?I don?t think this is unreasonable at all..
BOTH parents need to be present and show ID?If one can?t be there then?..

As of November 1st this statement of consent MUST be notarized:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms_DS3053.html

?They gave me a stack of papers and told me that I needed to bring Brendan with me, also his father (or a notirized statement for permission) and 2 checks.
1 for the county court $35 and one for the Feds. $55?

Answer:
You need to pay two people:
The passport agency
The passport acceptance agency

Two checks are OK but Money Orders are OK too

Someone quoted you the wrong fees!!!!
Adults are $55 Children under 14 are $40
New pictures are needed for children each time ~$15
Passport Acceptance agency gets only $30 not $35
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get_fees.html

Renewals for adults are done by the mail so there is no acceptance fee.

?What I don't understand is why, OH WHY! When traveling to Japan to meet my husband, Brendan was 5 (we were transiting Vancover BC) they took my son away from me into a room and asked him if I was really his mother, okay true, I'm olive skinned, dark hair and brown eyed...my son is as blond as blond can be and blue eyed......okay, I understand that they may have thought that something wasn't right, but, I had his passport, b-cert., permission letter, even marriage cert. since I don't use my hubby's last name (20yrs. as a Travel Agent has taught me to be 'armed') ....still, I had to spend a 9hr. flight calming my son who didn't understand why I let strangers take him away from me (Mommy failed him in his eyes)......Sorry, I know I've gotten a bit off track here (it still grates on my nerves!)?

Answer:
Japan IS NOT the USA!!!

PS?.the FBI does not do background checks on passports or sentri passes.
Don?t be fooled intop thinking we have the resources to provide these services to the American public.

:yes::yes:

our website is:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.