Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Dog Paperwork At The Border
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 10:41 AM

Once we were asked for the International Certificate going south at Tijuana. We explained to the lady that since we traveled back and for every month or so, it would be impractical for us to have the Certificate. We just showed her the rabies certificate and she said fine.

Once crossing in to the US at Tecate, we were asked for the rabies certificates and we had forgotten them. But our dogs did have their tags. The agent said he was OK, but we really needed to have the certificates as some agents would care.

Now, when we crossed into Mexico from Guatemala, that was different. They insisted on the International Certificate. However, we had one from Honduras that was about a year old and a new from from a Vet in Guatemala, and the only one they would accept was the 90 day International Health Certificate from the US that was almost 2 years old. :biggrin:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Here

FYI........Mexico vets will hand-write a letter which also works.[opens up a whole new possibility for creativity]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Our Mexican vet had a form and it was actually pretty comprehensive. I was pretty surprised!
And, inexpensive.

I wonder why Mexico would have a Health Cert form? I know they have a shot record form, but I think there's a difference between the two.

Come to think of it, the Vet Asst wrote the letter for me in English since she's US.

[Edited on 8-14-2013 by DENNIS]
dtutko1
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 06:46 AM

We have have traveled to Baja for 13 years with our dog. We always got our dog papers straight. We have never been asked for them. I understand that the papers are required for any flights into or out of Mexico. Last winter we rescued Charly from the Cabo Humane soc. Their adoption fee of 1000 p included neutering, all shots, a nice heavy duty leash, and a lifetime of any paperwork needed for transportation. Very good people there. Charly is doing great! He loves the rain and rolling in the grass with one of his toys.

Dorado Don
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 07:25 AM

Hey Don, so with a nice heavy duty leash, Charly isn't a Chihuahua?

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 08:47 AM

"The CDC does not require general certificates of health for pets for entry into the United States. However, health certificates may be required for entry into some states"

http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/bringinganimaltous.html

So the border guards are enforcing state laws when they ask for a certificate.

Here's what California says:

"International Pet Importation

The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) governs the international importation of dogs and cats.

Please visit the CDC website for more detailed information.
"

Soooooo, following the stated rules a health certificate is not required to bring a pet into CA from Mexico.

But wait, there's more:

"Interstate Pet Importation

California Entrance Requirements for Dogs:
All domestic dogs must be healthy. Dogs over four (4) months of age must have a certificate of current rabies vaccination. A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, is not required for the State of California; however, if traveling into California via airplane, please call the airline as they may have additional requirements.
"

Sooooo, the border guards are incorrectly enforcing a law that applies to state borders, not international borders

Situation normal, all effed up.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/vphs/Pages/PetImportation.as...

[Edited on 8-15-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

So the border guards are enforcing state laws when they ask for a certificate.

Sooooo, the border guards are incorrectly enforcing a law that applies to state borders, not international borders

Situation normal, all effed up.

I would hate to compromise my pooch by arguing with them, but it's nice to know where I stand if the going gets nasty.

Sometimes, they even enforce DMV regulations. I guess they don't have enough to do in our behalf, but I'm wondering why I don't feel all warm and fuzzy with all this protection. :fire:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 10:34 AM

I wouldn't argue either. I was just wondering what the rules really are.

The federal government says no paperwork is needed to bring a dog across the international border. CA defers to the feds on the issue. But CA says paperwork is needed to bring a dog in from another state. That law is never enforced except at the international border where it doesn't apply.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Sometimes, they even enforce DMV regulations. I guess they don't have enough to do in our behalf, but I'm wondering why I don't feel all warm and fuzzy with all this protection. :fire:

I'd rather have the folks guarding our Borders doing everything they can -- INM, State, Local, DMV -- don't really care what's enforced as long as somebody is doing it.

For those thinking less enforcement is better, or that those standing watch at our Border Crossing should be smiling and professional, courteous and respectful, they're doing a job you don't want to do.

Save the arguments that this group of LE's get paid lots of money and nobody is forcing them to work. These arguments are laughable. LE is a ''calling'' and, honestly, no amount of money worth putting your life on the line everyday.

Pinheads? Who's a pinhead?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
LE is a ''calling'' and, honestly, no amount of money worth putting your life on the line everyday.

Maybe cops should wear Roman Collars with their uniform. They're already well into the confession ritual.

"Blessed are they that do body cavity searches." AMEN
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

I'd rather have the folks guarding our Borders doing everything they can -- INM, State, Local, DMV -- don't really care what's enforced as long as somebody is doing it.

For those thinking less enforcement is better, or that those standing watch at our Border Crossing should be smiling and professional, courteous and respectful, they're doing a job you don't want to do.

Save the arguments that this group of LE's get paid lots of money and nobody is forcing them to work. These arguments are laughable. LE is a ''calling'' and, honestly, no amount of money worth putting your life on the line everyday.

Pinheads? Who's a pinhead?

Nonetheless, they ARE tax dollar parasites, and owe their benefactors at least a minimum of courtesy and respect, which should also go both ways. As far as a "calling" I guess the large number of them serving time should have used that as a defense. As far as "laying their lives on the line" firefighters, loggers, fishermen, and convenience store clerks among others all have a statistically more dangerous job. I don't think any of them see these jobs as a "calling".
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 07:14 PM

I asked the agent today when I crossed north at TJ. He said all you need is a current shot record for your pooch....no international certificate needed.

tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 09:13 PM

I'm assuming that this applies to cats too. He's had all his shots, and a copy of the shot records will be with me and him when we move. I just signed my lease today, so it'll be official around the end of next month.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
I asked the agent today when I crossed north at TJ. He said all you need is a current shot record for your pooch....no international certificate needed.

Even with a badge number and name, using a Border Agent as your source of information is questionable.

http://www.bajabound.com/before/pettravel/enteringmexico.php
Entering Mexico With Pets

Do we need any special documentation to take our dog and cat to Mexico?

Yes. According to the Mexican Consulate, in order to cross over the border into Mexico with pet dogs or cats (and to make sure they return home safely with you!) you will need to carry two main documents throughout your journey:

An International Certificate of Good Health (Form 77-043) issued by a licensed veterinarian (signature must be approved by the State Veterinarian) who has examined your pet and...
Proof of vaccination against rabies and distemper, administered at least 15 days before your pet enters Mexico.
No Consular certification is required. Visit the Mexican Consulate's website for the latest information.

It is also recommended to bring proof of ownership just in case you need it.

Is there any information should be included on the International Certificate that my vet writes for our pet?

First, be sure that the actual dates of vaccination appear on the health certificate. According to the USDA, your certificate for each pet must...

be presented in duplicate (you should always keep an extra copy!)
clearly state your name and address
include a complete description of your pet (species/age/sex)
state that your pet has been examined and found to be free of all contagious diseases
Lee
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Nonetheless, they ARE tax dollar parasites, and owe their benefactors at least a minimum of courtesy and respect, which should also go both ways. As far as a "calling" I guess the large number of them serving time should have used that as a defense. As far as "laying their lives on the line" firefighters, loggers, fishermen, and convenience store clerks among others all have a statistically more dangerous job. I don't think any of them see these jobs as a "calling".

Reductio ad absurdum -- reduction to the ridiculous. Individual tax dollars pay penny's towards a salary. Guess people get what they pay for. Those expecting ''warm and fuzzy,'' a smile and gracious good morning will continue to be disappointed.

Comparing, statistically, a convenience store clerk to ICE? Laughable. Cop haters live miserable life's esp. when crossing into the US. Think the LEO's see this group coming.

Every LE group has it's bad apples. Statistically I think that's about 10%. They get weeded out. Something cop haters know something about.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 08:32 AM

I would not dream of not takng every paper that I thought was needed to get my dog back to the USA. Most agents have been on the rude side but there are some that have been decent. The deal breaker: don't say anything except answer their questions.........no conversation. It works better that way. Nancy
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 08:41 AM

I've only been asked once in over 10 years of crossing both south and north at the border for my dogs papers. It was a Mexican Ag guy that was at the crossing.

Why do Liberals insist and demand that achievers pay the way for nonachievers who are to lazy to succeed, or are just failures by their own choice?

Criminals prefer unarmed victims, dictators prefer unarmed subjects.

Why do ignorant people continue their blabbering when it only proves to others how stupid they are.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 08:58 AM

The requirements for "papers" appears to be different depending on which way you are crossing:

Southbound into MEXICO -
1. International health certificate required.
2. Rabies certificate required. (Important - Mexico only recognizes a ONE year rabies vacination period, not three years as is common in the US.

Northbound into the US -
1. Current rabies certificate.
2. Apparent good health. I've had two different Border officials say something to the effect, "if they look healthy, they're in"

That being said, I have only been asked once in 16 years going both north and south for "papers". The one time was northbound at Otay. The agent at the gate asked if I had a rabies certificate. I said, "yes". He said "Good, have a nice day".

However - friends have been checked in detail at both the Los Cabos and La Paz airports upon arrival. Even going so far as having the dogs held until a Mexican vet could administer a rabies vaccination before leaving the airport. Each time, their dogs had a current US 3 year certificate. Mexico only recognizes a one year rabies certificate.
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
SunTextSunset Cliffs Animal Clinic does them for almost nothing.

That is our vet too, very good shop, top notch. Our two Baja rescue dogs have been back and forth several visits with no questions asked but this time I'll go for the cert incase of admin madness. When we found 'Guapo' almost dead in GN we took him to Loreto where we went to the feed store/vet on the main street for a triple shot and paper work that was good for 30 days going North. Nobody asked for anything, the same with the pup we picked up last November..no questions either way.

EdZ
Borrego Springs/Ocean Beach(San Diego)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 08:09 PM

My dog and cat have crossed enough times both ways to qualify for SENTRI and Residente Permanente cards.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.