BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Javier Cave Paintings washed away by Ivo.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 11:45 AM
San Javier Cave Paintings washed away by Ivo.

From Mike Younghusband:

"To all my Loreto and Baja California friends. A little sad news. After hundreds of years the San Javier Cave paintings are gone. (first pic) The wall they were on is also missing. The damage from the recent storms is devastating."

(click the picture for full resolution)

"The road to San Javier is destroyed. (second pic) Nothing can get through. Heavy equip is parked close to the area with not much in the way of options."

(click the picture for full resolution)

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 12:09 PM

too bad. Think that nice new road made so everyone can enjoy the wonders of Baja might have contributed to the paintings demise?
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 12:10 PM

Thanks Doug, thank you Mike.

Wow, after all these years . . .

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
too bad. Think that nice new road made so everyone can enjoy the wonders of Baja might have contributed to the paintings demise?

These last two storms seemed to come straight through San Javier. Much more than usual. Hope the road is open soon and I hope the people of San Javier are safe and dry. Looks like they got hit pretty hard. I will let you know as soon as I know.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 12:19 PM

Wow. That is crazy....

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 12:20 PM

that's just terrible
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeYounghusband
Quote:

These last two storms seemed to come straight through San Javier. Much more than usual. Hope the road is open soon and I hope the people of San Javier are safe and dry. Looks like they got hit pretty hard. I will let you know as soon as I know.

Mike I hope everyone is OK in San Javier as well. The Paintings have weathered storms (and some people) for hundreds of years. What is different this year?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 12:36 PM

From the Juliette thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
Ivo did this on Saturday/Sunday last. I'm guessing it will be closed for a while.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 12:41 PM

holly crap

what are they going to do with the people in San Javier
they could be cut off for a long time

is there a back way in, other than just a trail?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 01:01 PM

Yes, two other roads plus trails.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 01:03 PM

thanks Dk

boy that looks just awful
fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 01:10 PM
Sad

Even though it has been 15 years ago and in a Dodge mini van since we made that trip, I will never forget the wonderful adventure it was to get there. Hoping the best for those living there. So sorry to hear about the loss of the paintings.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 01:35 PM

That washed out road picture is likely the one you can drive to, with a few other ones further up the road.
Reminds me of a time in the late 80's, early 90's when a storm devastated this road and it took a long time before you could reach SJ. And then only with lots of road only one way, with the road collapsing into the canyon next to my truck. Scary, with no way to turn back.

[Edited on 8-29-2013 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 01:50 PM

This is sickening. On a drive south only a little over a week ago boe4fun drove me through there. We went up the front from Loreto and drove out the back way. I was truly amazed by the quaint little town they have way out there and the mission grounds. Paul stopped to show me the cave paintings, I hadn't even been aware of their existence. It's so sad that I may have seen them in their final days. What a loss. On our way out the back we criss-crossed the river bed over twenty times. Only got the tires wet once. We talked about what it must be like when it was raging and that it would be impossible to get through. I really feel sorry for the people of SJ. We were surprised that the road from Loreto was paved all the way, although it certainly had some nasty washouts and undercutting. It seemed relatively easy to make the trip and now this. I hope they get access for the residents soon.

John

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 03:12 PM

I am grateful that we went at the beginning of the year ... Those cave paintings were in their own way, very special, i really liked going there. Sure hope the people in SJ are hanging in there.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mike I hope everyone is OK in San Javier as well. The Paintings have weathered storms (and some people) for hundreds of years. What is different this year?

Climate change!!

bacquito
CaboDreamer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 03:36 PM

Similar view of the caves before the storm. Looks like what might be left of the paintings is under several feet of river bed.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Climate change!!

and I would be willing to bet the new road changed the course of the wash that runs down the arroyo.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 05:05 PM

Why taking photos of historic sites is so important to preserve them before Nature or Man removes them.

Here our my photos at the site from July, 2009:

Baja Angel next to protective railing at cave art site.

Truck is in parking spot, next to highway, as seen from cave art site.

The highway from above and west of the cave art.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2013 at 05:11 PM
More...

Here are more that have never been posted before, from that same trip:

Compare the above photo with the new one from Mike Younghusband... It appears that the site is covered by gravel and may still be there once the gravel is removed.

[Edited on 8-30-2013 by David K]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.