BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  79    81    83  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 10:19 PM

How far is the area where the car was found from the coast? Doug mentioned the area was going to get very hot, in the 90s and 100s. It is closer to Catavina than Canoas from what I gathered. In any case, to be prepared is better than not.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Another assumption by the good doc that is FALSE. Several of them in this thread already.

...REALLY??.....how can this be????:O:o:?:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 11:42 PM

Let's stop the pettiness guys. Again the family is reading. Bring your sweatshirts and your space heaters if it's too cold for you. I have never said I know it all or that I am perfect. It might just snow, so bring your snowshoes as well.

[Edited on 4-15-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
How far is the area where the car was found from the coast? Doug mentioned the area was going to get very hot, in the 90s and 100s.

Other than the rancher, nobody here knows for certain the actual pinpoint location where the vehicle was found. I proposed a point I felt matched the description, and others have suggested locations quite a distance away - some further inland.

As such, higher temperatures in May must be considered as a real possibility to contend with.

:biggrin:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 08:14 AM

All the plots I’ve seen, put the vehicle about 2/3rds of the way out to the coast, this is an area that is really in transition between the cooler coast and the hot inland. It's generally right around 95-100 here in August and September, unless it's raining, also seen it 105 at that time. I would guess in May it would not be that hot; likely no more than 85-90 in the day and mid 50's at night. Kind of like El Centro temps.

I would recommend camping over staying in a hotel for the searchers; you have to remember this spot is probably 2 hours, maybe a bit less if you like to drive fast, from the Cataviña hotel - that's a 4 hour commute every day. If you want to get an early start before it gets too hot (if it does) you'll have to leave Cataviña in the dark which lengthens the commute as your headlights will not cut through the cloud of dust of the car in front of you and you'll have to drive slower.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 08:27 AM

According to this (and I am uncertain where this report is coming in from - and how valid it is)... last year in the first half of May - it was anywhere from 82-105 degrees:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/mx/catavina/1068472/month/1068...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
All the plots I’ve seen, put the vehicle about 2/3rds of the way out to the coast, this is an area that is really in transition between the cooler coast and the hot inland. It's generally right around 95-100 here in August and September, unless it's raining, also seen it 105 at that time. I would guess in May it would not be that hot; likely no more than 85-90 in the day and mid 50's at night. Kind of like El Centro temps.

I would recommend camping over staying in a hotel for the searchers; you have to remember this spot is probably 2 hours, maybe a bit less if you like to drive fast, from the Cataviña hotel - that's a 4 hour commute every day. If you want to get an early start before it gets too hot (if it does) you'll have to leave Cataviña in the dark which lengthens the commute as your headlights will not cut through the cloud of dust of the car in front of you and you'll have to drive slower.

Agreed!

I would even go out and say its more of a 3+hr drive (one way) to that location from Cataviña! Depending on road conditions of course, but its a haul no matter what.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
According to this (and I am uncertain where this report is coming in from - and how valid it is)... last year in the first half of May - it was anywhere from 82-105 degrees:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/mx/catavina/1068472/month/1068...
so we can definitely say maybe cloudy with a chance of weather :rolleyes:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 08:48 AM

Maybe the Rancher might agree to let searchers stay at his ranch for a few days to avoid the long drive while looking over that area.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Maybe the Rancher might agree to let searchers stay at his ranch for a few days to avoid the long drive while looking over that area.

Now, THAT is a good idea, as long as the search party is relatively self-contained.

If he could be relied on for a shaded area and possibly wash water, it could be a real plus.

It's not that hard to carry enough drinking water for several days in the vehicles but a rinse-off after a period of searching in the desert might allow for a morning search period and a late afternoon one.

And bring the Katadyns or the Pürs.

[Edited on 4-15-2014 by Hook]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 09:02 AM

What sized rig could get down that road from Catavina to the coast? Could a full sized, 4wd truck with a full sized truck camper make it or is there too much sand in places?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 09:10 AM

I am trying to get the Rancher's number from Lizard Lips. I can go meet with him in Maneadero and talk with him about the idea or Lizard can call him. What I like about the idea is that we can all talk with him and glean all the information relevant to Gary and I think we will get a good feel where to go from there.
Quote:
Quote:

Now, THAT is a good idea, as long as the search party is relatively self-contained.

If he could be relied on for a shaded area and possibly wash water, it could be a real plus.

It's not that hard to carry enough drinking water for several days in the vehicles but a rinse-off after a period of searching in the desert might allow for a morning search period and a late afternoon one.

And bring the Katadyns or the Pürs.

[Edited on 4-15-2014 by Hook]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 09:12 AM

Wow, what a lot to bear in mind as the group prepares to go into the desert ... Is there a time frame for when this search will take place (sorry if it was written somewhere and I missed it).

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 09:15 AM

Blanca how do you get from La Bocana to Catavina, and are you near Canoas?
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
What sized rig could get down that road from Catavina to the coast? Could a full sized, 4wd truck with a full sized truck camper make it or is there too much sand in places?

No problem, generally.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 09:24 AM

Quote:

Easy. Even 2X4 cars can make it as long as you stick to the roads, and carefully drive around the rocks and gullies; it's a fairly well graded and maintained road to the coast. BUT you still have to choose your path carefully in a low slung 2X4 car. There’s a couple of steep slippery hills and I would not take a car out there, but somehow the Mexicans do manage get cars out to the coast. A 4X4 will easily make it.

I did not recommend camping AT the rancher's place as that seems like we are imposing on him a little more than we should...but maybe near the ranch house. Put yourself in his position. Would you like/want a bunch of people camping in your front yard? In any event, respect the land, pack it in, pack it out.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 09:59 AM

Quote:

I have a hunch that a map will be forthcoming.

Doc, what maps do you use for scoping Baja?

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 10:03 AM

Doc - we are really far from Cataviña and I don't even know where Canoas is. I wish I could help but this is way out of my element. I am diabetic so not a good idea but besides that, I hate camping, I think I got camped out by doing it so much as a teenager in Brazil.

As long as everyone is well prepared with food and water, this seems like a great move. Esp if the rancher cooperates and with a little incentive for his trouble, I can't see why he wouldn't. And by incentive, it can be meat, clothes, the list is endless.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 10:20 AM

You guys are the experts with that area. I don't do much exploring in Baja, I wanted to get down to BOLA and Mulege, I spent most of my time in Ensenada. I am learning as I go along here. I am glad there are people that know the roads, the weather and the areas where the search is going to take place.
Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

I have a hunch that a map will be forthcoming.

Doc, what maps do you use for scoping Baja?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-15-2014 at 10:23 AM

I'm interested in a detailed map from Canoas to Catavina and the roads that are available and the possible routes that Gary could have wanted to take off of highway 1 and where his car was relative to those roads.
 Pages:  1  ..  79    81    83  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.