Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
That he drove over a mile on a single track, off the graded road, then 400 meters up a wash to get stuck at, is weird.

Maybe weird, maybe just a mistake. How many times have you come across and rescued someone who drove a 2wd where they needed 4x4?

Plenty for me.

If there were existing tracks going up the arroyo then the misstep idea makes more sense...but I don't see any road on google earth in that arroyo so it must have been a pretty faint road.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 05:43 AM

This case is giving me a headache.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 07:04 AM

Question remains, where is Gary?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs

Maybe weird, maybe just a mistake. How many times have you come across and rescued someone who drove a 2wd where they needed 4x4?

You mean, like out in the surf? :o

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 09:54 AM

Dear Patton Family,
We have nothing significant to add to the sleuthing discussions.
We wish simply to continue to extend our support to you with best wishes and prayers.
T&L

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 08:39 AM

CaboMagic- well said. Our sentiments exactly.
SoCalPattonCrew
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 02:39 PM

Dearest Nomads, the family has had several rough days here so trying to reach today. We just do not have any more updates as yet, but I can offer some clarifications on things previously mentioned:
- The camera had one photo of the trucker accident monument, somewhere along Hwy 1 south after El Rosario (?), and it was dated September 5th, 2013. Two other pics taken that same day were nondescript horizons. Because our guys (my son and his uncle) could not search through the vehicle when they were there, any chance of a photo card in the truck is still TBD; and, these date stamps will be verified again as well;
- The family (brothers) cannot travel down there again until May 1st so we are relying on the newspaper El Mexicana, Baja Times, Ecos to help publicize that we are still looking for him; and of course bajanomads here as well;
- At someone's suggestion about the Baja 1000, I had tried back then but tried again last week to request from SCORE that they reach out to any videographers filming during that race, to check their footage, if they were by chance near the arroyo car sighting; no replies to-date;
- There has not been any activity on the bank account etc. ; alerts are in place from 09/13 if activity occurs;
- Regarding the rancher, he is no longer in Meandera and probably is headed toward the ranch if not there now;
- Gary's brother-in-law double-checked the brand of tires to calculate mileage differential and says the difference is negligible but we thank you for questioning it;
Sincerest thanks to all of you, trying to stay focused on where Gary may be in relation to the vehicle, especially if /where he could be held up with some caring folk. Special thanks to DavidK's road maps (page 47); for those offering GoogleEarth (see multiples on pg. 48), and, DavidK's recent one this week ... we should keep in mind to take copies of these excellent maps when a team begins a search.
To those wanting to get searching now, our prayers are with you, but we certainly do not feel comfortable making such a request. I admit I am curious as to someone's mention of a "fisherman" who "has a cell phone" that sometimes works, whether he has seen Gary at any time as well as other resident ranchers and locals in those remote surf & fish sites.
For now, we are just painfully waiting and trying very hard to keep faith ... we appreciate the focused discussion on recent posts as to how to go about SAFETY in conducting a search in such desolate areas, particularly how all will be able to communicate efficiently with each other, and track each other at a all times, while they do this search.
Our deepest gratitude for all the time & effort each of you have taken to care about finding our Gary.....
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 02:55 PM

Patton's----the fisherman with the cell phone lives in the Faro San Jose fish camp. That was some years ago since I last talked with him. But you or someone should go there and talk with the locals if you have the chance. I should be out there in August on my way to another location along the coast but would be happy to stop and talk with them if nothing has been resolved by then, though I certainly hope for the best and am sorry you all have to go through this.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 03:52 PM

at the San Jose camp up on the hill bout a mile before the beach on the north side look for a cabover camper next to a house. Ask for Sra Mercedes, Isreal or his wife Erika. They are the top of the food chain as far as the ejido/co-op goes in that area. they will have any tidbits to offer, if any exist.

tell them Roberto y Beatriz sent ya. they are really good people.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-17-2014 at 03:53 PM

If there were no fish in the ice chest or wax on the surf board, he may have been headed out to the coast rather than away from it when the truck was stuck.

I still am not sure that matters which direction he was headed, since the truck was found midway between the highway and the coast. The place to search for Gary is out from the truck, as there is 0 evidence of any crime (from what I read).

If there is new or different directions to where the truck was found, I am happy to show the area on maps or satellite images from Google or Bing.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew

- The camera had one photo of the trucker accident monument, somewhere along Hwy 1 south after El Rosario (?), and it was dated September 5th, 2013. Two other pics taken that same day were nondescript horizons. Because our guys (my son and his uncle) could not search through the vehicle when they were there, any chance of a photo card in the truck is still TBD; and, these date stamps will be verified again as well;

Why would Gary remove a new memory card from his camera and insert an old one?

We can be reasonably certain that Gary did not take more pictures after the 9/5 date frame.

That means:

(1) No time spent in Canoa surfing
(2) No 4 months spent in baja after 9/5

Gary probably never even reached the coast.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 11:20 AM

Patton family: do you have a TENTATIVE itinerary as to how you are going to proceed on this May 1st trip? Will you commence a search? What type of assistance will you be bringing down, in terms of persons, especially an interpretor(s)? It sounds like LL will not be with you, correct?

Or, is this all information that you prefer to keep private? Or do you prefer to do this on your own?

I ask because IF you are interesting in having assistance from Nomad members and IF there are members that are interested, it's time both parties begin trying to coordinate their time schedules, at the very least.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew

Why would Gary remove a new memory card from his camera and insert an old one?

We can be reasonably certain that Gary did not take more pictures after the 9/5 date frame.

That means:

(1) No time spent in Canoa surfing
(2) No 4 months spent in baja after 9/5

Gary probably never even reached the coast.

Yep. I'd say he never made it. He got a late start leaving SQ and was headed up that wash for an overnighter (since he wasnt going to make the coast in daylight) and got stuck and then ?????? I think the rancher is mistaken about the truck not being there a week before he discovered it.

Or, there's something more nefarious going on, here..........
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 12:27 PM

I know the family is discounting the photos as not very informative, but first of all we know one thing. He got as far as that monument? Does anyone know the location of the monument? It was past El Rosario, but was it past the turnoff road that led to Gary's truck? Two were the pictures of the horizon in early morning or late evening? He left at 6 am from the hotel so if the pictures were afternoon or late evening, that means he went somewhere before that turnoff, or maybe he made it to canoas and was on his way back..I think there could be a lot of information gleaned from those pictures.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 01:09 PM

SkipjackJoe-agreed. Hook- makes no sense that he would have headed up to where the truck was found to camp. Too far off the beaten track.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
SkipjackJoe-agreed. Hook- makes no sense that he would have headed up to where the truck was found to camp. Too far off the beaten track.

Could confusion have been a factor? I'm not suggesting anything clinical.......just normal confusion.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 01:24 PM

There is some new technology which might help the communication issues faced while doing a search. It is called Mesh Networking and it allows cell phones to communicate with each other without having a cell network.

The first application that I know about is Firechat and it allows text messages to be sent where no Wifi or Cell network is available. It currently runs under IOS7 on an iPhone 5.

Here is an article about the technology:

http://www.cultofmac.com/271225/appreciated-ios-7-feature-wi...

So far I have not found a distance listed so who knows how useful it really would be. It is new enough that I thought it was worth a post.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I know the family is discounting the photos as not very informative, but first of all we know one thing. He got as far as that monument? Does anyone know the location of the monument? It was past El Rosario, but was it past the turnoff road that led to Gary's truck?

Between Kms 116 and 117 (37 miles south from El Rosario's Pemex station).

No, it is well before the turnoff to Faro San Jose/ Puerto Canoas and also before the turnoff to Santa Catarina/ Puerto Canoas.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I know the family is discounting the photos as not very informative, but first of all we know one thing. He got as far as that monument? Does anyone know the location of the monument? It was past El Rosario, but was it past the turnoff road that led to Gary's truck? Two were the pictures of the horizon in early morning or late evening? He left at 6 am from the hotel so if the pictures were afternoon or late evening, that means he went somewhere before that turnoff, or maybe he made it to canoas and was on his way back..I think there could be a lot of information gleaned from those pictures.

It's likely the "Hector" monument. It's well known to those travelling south of El Rosario. It’s more elaborate than most roadside memorials.

Don’t know the coordinates but it's between KM 116 and 117, so it's around 51 KM (32 miles) from the Faro San Jose turn-off. A time stamp on that will give a good timeline if it's one of the last photos.

Please stop saying he left the hotel at 6am, we do not know that for sure. You are creating unneeded confusion with you time assumptions.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

He got a late start leaving SQ...

LL confirmed a 6am departure on 9/5 from Jardines.

Quote:
...and was headed up that wash for an overnighter (since he wasnt going to make the coast in daylight)...

This still seems to be the simplest explanation to me. A question I have with this is:

Did he just sleep in the truck (or intend to sleep in the truck)? The tent was in the truck but not setup. He either never used it, or had packed it away already.

Quote:

...I think the rancher is mistaken about the truck not being there a week before he discovered it.

From everything I've read:
- The rancher said the truck wasn't there in December.
- The rancher said he believed the truck had been in the location he found it for no more than a week.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
 Pages:  1  ..  82    84    86  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.