Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  83    85    87  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 02:18 PM

The rancher also may want to be not 'blamed' for not seeing the 4Runner (not a truck) for several months... not that it's his responsibility for that. If it was 400 meters up a side wash from the auto track, close to 2 kms. from the graded road, it may have never been spotted. Lucky that it was. Why he took the effort to pull it out is weird. I still would like to know where his ranch was in relation to the 4Runner.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Between Kms 116 and 117 (37 miles south from El Rosario's Pemex station).

Right here:

http://goo.gl/maps/VeQ8d

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
Hook- makes no sense that he would have headed up to where the truck was found to camp. Too far off the beaten track.

I would disagree. As this is a very common practice, and is one of the most likely reasons put forth thus far to explain the vehicle location as we understand it.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 02:32 PM

Well, at least this sets to rest the idea that he never even left San Quintin, right?
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 02:41 PM

Hook

Yes it does.

As I also stated the pictures will tell a story.
The landscape pics, if taken after the memorial shot, may provide further tracking.

Gary being with the 4 Runner when it got stuck still doesn't add up, based on the ranchers timeline.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
SkipjackJoe-agreed. Hook- makes no sense that he would have headed up to where the truck was found to camp. Too far off the beaten track.

Well, then I make no sense when I am camping, 'cause I do that a lot.

I dont want to camp by the side of a main thoroughfare that everyone must come through on their way to the main destination in the area; the ocean. I like privacy. Maybe he does, too.

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by Hook]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 03:12 PM

Well when he stopped off to take that picture, depending if the landscape pictures come before or after, that is where he could have met his fate.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Well when he stopped off to take that picture, depending if the landscape pictures come before or after, that is where he could have met his fate.

Yeah, and that also COULD have been where he took a crap.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...........your speculations are either irrelevant or so far off-base as to cloud the discussion.

I dont care if you feel I'm being petty. You're becoming an impediment to the discussion, Doctor. THINK things through before you post and post from a position of knowledge. You have made false assumptions on geography, on the motivations of fishermen, on the motivations of surfers and the motivations of camping..........and I'm left feeling you know nothing about any of those.

Sometimes less is more...............
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 03:23 PM

At the beginning of this thread, it was mentioned he had cameras, plural. If there is another camera, it may provide more location clues

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 03:37 PM

Remember George Michaels? Assaults often happen in rest stops off of highways. You are an impediment Hook by saying things that aren't true like Gary got a late start in SQ. You don't have YOUR facts straight. Yet I don't jump down your throat for screwing up the information. Let's realize no one knows where Gary is, and until they have the solution to his disappearance, I don't think they can afford to criticize the ideas of others. Someone else accused me of saying that I was making up the hour of departure from San Quintin, yet LL clearly said it was 6 am. So before you start throwing stones at me, you guys get YOUR facts straight. Just sayin'.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 04:16 PM

He had two cameras and only one was viewed.

Additional cards COULD have been used in second camera.

( I don't think Gary had been camping for 6 months after leaving SQ Sept 5th)

FWIW

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew

- The camera had one photo of the trucker accident monument, somewhere along Hwy 1 south after El Rosario (?), and it was dated September 5th, 2013. Two other pics taken that same day were nondescript horizons. Because our guys (my son and his uncle) could not search through the vehicle when they were there, any chance of a photo card in the truck is still TBD; and, these date stamps will be verified again as well;

Why would Gary remove a new memory card from his camera and insert an old one?

We can be reasonably certain that Gary did not take more pictures after the 9/5 date frame.

That means:

(1) No time spent in Canoa surfing
(2) No 4 months spent in baja after 9/5

Gary probably never even reached the coast.

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by tripledigitken]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 04:20 PM

There is more conjecture than facts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Remember George Michaels? Assaults often happen in rest stops off of highways. You are an impediment Hook by saying things that aren't true like Gary got a late start in SQ. You don't have YOUR facts straight. Yet I don't jump down your throat for screwing up the information. Let's realize no one knows where Gary is, and until they have the solution to his disappearance, I don't think they can afford to criticize the ideas of others. Someone else accused me of saying that I was making up the hour of departure from San Quintin, yet LL clearly said it was 6 am. So before you start throwing stones at me, you guys get YOUR facts straight. Just sayin'.

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by tripledigitken]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 04:27 PM

Another idea would be to stop at that monument and look around.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 04:29 PM

Geez Doc......give it up.....

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 04:45 PM

I happen to think it's a good idea. Hey another good idea, especially on this Easter weekend is to stop ridiculing and belittling someone for coming up with ideas. I don't get sarcastic when someone has an idea and belittle them. Peace on Earth good will to mankind, hey remember guys, Gary is either seriously hurt or he's not with us anymore. Appreciate the fact that you are alive and respect your fellow man or woman. At least on this Good Friday/Passover weekend, let's cool it with the cheap shots. Yes, Chuckie give it up, Brother.

[Edited on 4-18-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 05:07 PM

Jeeezo........someone fire up the Nomad Hookah. :biggrin:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 05:15 PM

Hey Dennis, you have a great Easter with you and yours. I don't like Hookah the smoke bothers me. But i might be coerced into a Pina colada!!
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2014 at 10:13 PM

I believe some Nomads knew Gary from prior trips. Personally if I was camping alone I would prefer to be in a less remote spot than where the Truck was found-Hook and others, on the other hand, would prefer to camp more remotely.( I was guessing that because Gary liked to talk and visit with others and not a loner type he would be more likely to camp where others might be.) Do any Nomads that knew him from prior trips have any thoughts as to what type of camping Gary enjoyed? Also, we can hope that there are other pictures on the second camera-many people use different cameras for different type pictures.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 10:21 AM

From what I've read Gary didn't seem the type to drive a 2WD truck up a remote canyon with apparently no road up it. That's what I would do, but I have 4WD and like exploring.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 11:08 AM

During my baja travels I always drive off any road for the night. Far enough so that the lights from neither my campfire nor the camper can be seen from the. I do have a 4WD now but did it with a 2WD previously by picking dirt roads judiciously.

The 2km road which I think I'm seeing in GE is pretty distinct. The side turn after that looks 'sketchy' (today's vernacular). I always figured that Gary just misjudged the softness of the sediment. That can happen to anyone. The best camping spots in such areas are the washes. You have clean sand, nearby rocks, and deadwood for campfire. Plus you are protected visually because they are often a bit lower (erosion).

Given the report drug activity in the area it's not surprising that he didn't camp right off that main road but was more cautious. Most of us would do that.

Again it's really hard to make really solid conclusions without seeing the place.
 Pages:  1  ..  83    85    87  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.